'News' article from Daily Smellograph today

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: 'News' article from Daily Smellograph today

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
Still, saying that at least one cyclist ran the red on every traffic light cycle on oxford st is pretty irritating. Is patience really that hard? Give me whatever excuse you want for doing it but it boils down to knowing you'll 99% get away with it and you can't be stuffed waiting. Gives all of us a bad name.

Unfortunately that is the reality of cyclists' behaviour on Oxford St. I see frequent running of red lights. Indeed, when I'm cycling and turn right into Oxford St from Glenmore Rd (at Victoria Barracks) I have to check left for cyclists flying down the hill through the red light. It's extremely dangerous behaviour. I agree that cars running red lights are a larger and more dangerous problem but this doesn't excuse cyclists doing the same thing.
biker jk

by BNA » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:42 pm

BNA

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Alien27 wrote:
george-bob wrote:
Xplora wrote:Embarrassment for the paper. They wonder why their circulation declines... anyone with half a brain can see through such drivel.

Unfortunately people with more than half a brain wouldn't pick up the tele in the first place!

+1

+2, as you can see from the moron motorists thread, there are a LOT of people out there nowadays with half a brain or less.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 pm

george-bob wrote:
Xplora wrote:Embarrassment for the paper. They wonder why their circulation declines... anyone with half a brain can see through such drivel.

Unfortunately people with more than half a brain wouldn't pick up the tele in the first place!

Sometimes we get sucked in due to a moment of weakness... I've spent 3 bucks on papers in the past 32 years :lol:
Xplora

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:08 pm

il padrone wrote:Another aspect of selective reporting then, as the Smellograph reporter quotes police as saying they only handed out $66 fines to cyclists, while the fine for motorists was $324 plus loss of points. This is patently either incorrect and/or a matter of police using some discretion.

Read my post above - situation is correct for NSW & is not a matter of discretion.

Despite beat ups to the contrary, cyclists running red lights has never been a major concern for whatever the RTA is called this week, neither in frequency nor seriousness of incidents.
find_bruce

Postby Sydguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 pm

The Telegraph gives the muppets what they want. Check out the NSW Police Facebook/Twitter feed - they posted about the crack down. 99% of the comments on Facebook are anti cycling.

Most of the NSW Police posts/tweets are to inform the good citizens of NSW about another (sometimes multiple) fatality brought to them by their love of the car. The only comments on those stories are positive, sincere and expressing their heartfelt sorrow. In the last week NSW has had a whole bunch of deaths on the roads, and let's not forget the injuries and people who 'just' survive are not often reported although they are more of a burden on the health system.

There are a whole bunch of issues at play here but an education campaign is badly needed. Australia has been devoid of any real leadership for a long time now and it is costing us dearly.

JM
Sydguy

Postby wombatK » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 pm

The police haven't singled out cyclists. They are now setting up speed traps to entrap motorists, and appear to
have abandon the former guidelines that prevented their use at the bottom of hills (like the M7 south of
Elizabeth Drive today) or hiding behind bus shelters/walls etc.,. (like on Hume Highway, Bass Hill also today).

This points to the police being desperate to rack-up fines. Given that BOF has promised not to cut pay rises for police,
there is probably an expectation that they have to get out their and earn enough to cover this. For the bicycle police
or plods on foot, booking cyclists is probably their contribution to keeping police pay rises.

The telegraph is too in love with BOF's party to ever spoil it by reporting this.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby gavinr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:34 pm

The most stupid behaviour I saw on the road today was another cyclist who indicated and then turned directly in front of an oncoming cyclist as we crossed at a pedestrian crossing. He came closer to causing an accident than any driver I encountered today.

There are idiots behind wheels, and idiots on bikes, and the Police are welcome to pursue them all.
gavinr

Postby ezzy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 pm

g-boaf wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:If this was about motorists then this would be the headline:

Police put the squeeze on frustrated Sydney motorists

Is anyone surprised by this type of reporting?
They turn 1% into 50%.

No, I'm not surprised - just annoyed. Everyone should be complaining to the Telegraph about this. Email them, phone them, etc - make your voice heard.
How about you open a facebook account about this article so everyone who complains can add their name to it with yours on top of the list.
ezzy

Postby Philipthelam » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:53 am

at the first look at the headline it reads Cyclist=arrogant
but if you read it again more carefully it reads Cyclists who break the law=arrogant
Philipthelam

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:57 am

A reader of the Telegraph from North Ryde today complains that "cyclists are pests" (blah blah blah) but the interesting thing is he says that road users pay rego, tolls and FUEL TAXES and that us cyclists should pay them...

Um, really? Fuel taxes? For what? The only fuel we use is the energy we get from what we eat and drink. If you don't want to pay fuel levies, then get on a bicycle. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Howzat wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:The heading is pretty offensive and I wonder how many cyclists they 'interviewed' to find the two nut jobs who said the fine would not be a deterrent.

The headline is worse than the article. Headlines are written by (arrogant) editors, not (hard-working) reporters.

But I don't think you don't have to go far to find cyclists who will rationalise riding without a helmet or disobeying some road rules, if you give them an open microphone.

(The same can be said about motorists who speed or run red lights; however the Smellygraph is likely take their side with stories slanted against "revenue raising red light camera bureaucracy gone mad".)

Cynical on your behalf. And probably right.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 pm

The argument mounted by Michael Gratton ("there are more serious things that they are not chasing blah blah blah...") is the last argument trotted out when there is no other argument to support you. A tossers argument to be honest."But while I did kill that person when I collided going through a red light, what about all the pedophiles still walking the street?"

If your benchmark for your behaviour is other peoples more crappy behaviour then that tells me a lot about you. Mostly that you have no justification for your actions.

We see this line of (un)reasoning from motorists and haters all the time.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:09 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The argument mounted by Michael Gratton ("there are more serious things that they are not chasing blah blah blah...") is the last argument trotted out when there is no other argument to support you. A tossers argument to be honest."But while I did kill that person when I collided going through a red light, what about all the pedophiles still walking the street?"

If your benchmark for your behaviour is other peoples more crappy behaviour then that tells me a lot about you. Mostly that you have no justification for your actions.

The only "unreasoning" happening here is from you. Stopping and fining people for dangerous behaviour is beneficial. Stopping and fining people for non dangerous behaviour only makes people more cynical of the police actions and does little to change the behaviour of those that act dangerously.
human909

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Philipthelam wrote:at the first look at the headline it reads Cyclist=arrogant
but if you read it again more carefully it reads Cyclists who break the law=arrogant

No, it's all a matter of interpretation, and the bogan readers will read "police crackdown on arrogant Sydney cyclists, who break the law" ie. all Sydney cyclist are arrogant, and some of them break the law too :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 pm

human909 wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:The argument mounted by Michael Gratton ("there are more serious things that they are not chasing blah blah blah...") is the last argument trotted out when there is no other argument to support you. A tossers argument to be honest."But while I did kill that person when I collided going through a red light, what about all the pedophiles still walking the street?"

The only "unreasoning" happening here is from you. Stopping and fining people for dangerous behaviour is beneficial. Stopping and fining people for non dangerous behaviour only makes people more cynical of the police actions and does little to change the behaviour of those that act dangerously.

Ouch!

Nothing unreasoning at all to accept that:
* people should and can address more than one issue - we all do so individually and organisationally anyway
* people/government/authority should not ignore issues while dealing with others higher up the list
* people should not expect to get away with whatever just because there particular pecadillo is not at the top of the list.

An argument about the merits of the helmet may be a defence. But an argument along the Gratton line of reasoning is a Claytons defence.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ezzy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm surprised no one has said anything about Anthony Johnson whose all smile and said "he'd do it again". This guy ruined it for everyone and should be crucified on the traffic light. hahaha
ezzy

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:16 pm

ezzy wrote:I'm surprised no one has said anything about Anthony Johnson whose all smile and said "he'd do it again". This guy ruined it for everyone and should be crucified on the traffic light. hahaha

His statements are beyond redemption. It is so obvioulsy wrong that it is hard to mount a discussion on his comments other than to say he is stupid, selfish to the needs of riders and all others and is probably all bravado - at least it will be if the cops take him at his word and target him until his bank balance is non-existent.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:37 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
ezzy wrote:I'm surprised no one has said anything about Anthony Johnson whose all smile and said "he'd do it again". This guy ruined it for everyone and should be crucified on the traffic light. hahaha

His statements are beyond redemption. It is so obvioulsy wrong that it is hard to mount a discussion on his comments other than to say he is stupid, selfish to the needs of riders and all others and is probably all bravado - at least it will be if the cops take him at his word and target him until his bank balance is non-existent.

Crucified? Beyond redemption? :roll:

Seriously, some people have things a little out of perspective here. While certainly not the best comments to say to media, the guy was being honest. Your claims that he is stupid are without foundation. You interpret honesty as bravado, and selfishness was not evident here.

Not matter how you insist on it, safely going through a red light is not a problem in many peoples eyes. Watch the actions of pedestrians at minor roads and it seems that most people don't see a red light as an issue. Do you really think pedestrians who get fined change their ways? No they simply pay the fine and look out for cops next time. Why would you expect any difference with a cyclist?

Even if you don't agree with the Anthony Johnson you still should be able to understand his perspective. But it seems that you are so busy being sanctimonious that all perspective is lost.
human909

Postby scotto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:39 am

il padrone wrote:
Philipthelam wrote:at the first look at the headline it reads Cyclist=arrogant

No, it's all a matter of interpretation, and the bogan readers will read "police crackdown on arrogant Sydney cyclists, who break the law" ie. all Sydney cyclist are arrogant, and some of them break the law too :roll:

you lot collectively take yourselves way too seriously.
most people will see that police are cracking down on those breaking the law.
bogans dont read
scotto

Postby mjog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 am

In the interests of detosserfying my name, I'd like to point out that I was both selectively quoted (I do actually wear a helmet, when needed) and mis-quoted (I was talking about the number of people killed _by_ cars vs bikes) in that Daily Jerkograph article.

In any case, I'm not sure how my not wearing a helmet is going to kill people, except perhaps myself.

ColinOldnCranky wrote:But an argument along the Gratton line of reasoning is a Claytons defence

The second quote was in response to a question about whether the Police's actions were fair, not about my use (or lack thereof) of a helmet.

I guess the lesson here is shooting your mouth off about something you read in the Tele just makes you look like a tosser.
mjog

Postby Alien27 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:02 am

mjog wrote:In the interests of detosserfying my name, I'd like to point out that I was both selectively quoted (I do actually wear a helmet, when needed) and mis-quoted (I was talking about the number of people killed _by_ cars vs bikes) in that Daily Jerkograph article.

In any case, I'm not sure how my not wearing a helmet is going to kill people, except perhaps myself.

ColinOldnCranky wrote:But an argument along the Gratton line of reasoning is a Claytons defence

The second quote was in response to a question about whether the Police's actions were fair, not about my use (or lack thereof) of a helmet.

I guess the lesson here is shooting your mouth off about something you read in the Tele just makes you look like a tosser.

SOP for the Daily Tele im afraid. I think the lesson it to NEVER talk to the Murdock press without a lawer and a recording device present.

Daily Tele = Low quality toilet paper.
Tom
Alien27

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

scotto wrote:bogans dont read

LOL SNAP BABY
Xplora

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:58 pm

mjog wrote:I guess the lesson here is shooting your mouth off about something you read in the Tele just makes you look like a tosser.

Fair call. :oops:
ColinOldnCranky

Previous

Return to General discussion