"Ignoring red lights is 100% safe"

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: "Ignoring red lights is 100% safe"

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm

At the risk of posting a massive strawman argument, the russian dashcam videos on youtube are, in my opinion, a pretty good example of what could happen when a large portion of road-users ignore traffic signals and proceed when it's "safe".

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ompilation
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2013 Specialized Langster | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc
RoFlmaTiC
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Perth

by BNA » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 pm

BNA
 

Re: "Ignoring red lights is 100% safe"

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 pm

A symptom of the breakdown of social mores in Russia post-USSR*, rather than any failing in a 'left turn on red if safe' rule. I have not heard of any such rash of incidents in the various states in the US and elsewhere that have similar rules.


* Probably worsened by the Russian predilection for vodka to assist their driving :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18161
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: "Ignoring red lights is 100% safe"

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:22 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:It may be absurd to you, but there are far too many road users that are suffering some condition that may temporarily affect their judgment.

Therefore I'm happy to partially rely on red lights to at least keep some of them in line.........happy to wait for a green light.....double checking to make sure some idiot is not blasting through the red light facing them, and then safely cross the road.

That seems to be very intelligent behaviour which I have no objection to. In fact 95% of the time that is what I do. :D

Mulger bill wrote:NOTE- I didn't say "RUN". Anybody of any the road using tribes who runs a red needs a slappin'.
Anybody feeling sanctimonious enough to call me an outlaw or idiot and that shooting is the only way to save my soul may leave this thread now. Not Interested.

I think we can all agree on this. Even those crazy NY rat race riders still look somewhat for traffic before running the red. (Not that traffic cause them to stop, it just causes them to evade. :shock: )

Philipthelam wrote:Are they saying that if you run a red light on car (and crash) it is more life threatening because two people/ parties will die as opposed to say runing a red light on a bike (and getting hit) where only the rider dies?

There is minimal risk of risk towards others when you are riding a bike. As opposed to a car.... :o (People are surprisingly better decision makers when their well-being is directly and acutely impacted. :idea: Hence cyclists causing far fewer incidents on the roads than motorists.

m@ wrote:Spot on—and when I watch the local commuter types who typically run reds hereabouts, it's done in a way that's far from safe; i.e. wobble across through traffic with no thought to the light pattern, whether oncoming right-turners or traffic entering via a slip lane has a green light etc. Suicide in slow motion.

The reasons you list are excellent reasons why red light running should be discouraged. Some people who THINK they know what they are doing, don't. That is why I have no qualms with red light running being illegal. I have no qualms with it being enforced.

I do have an issue with people objecting to the fact that it can be performed safely. And I have issue with people claiming that those doing so are committing a terrible moral sin. :roll: I rockclimb regularly and I take complete novices out on 100m cliffs hanging by a single rope and held only the grip of my palm and fingers. I am an engineer. I design structures that if they fail will mean deaths. I am used to having other people's lives in my hands. Literally & directly.

If somebody tells me that I can't cross a road safely because the little red man says I can't then I scoff at that.
human909
 
Posts: 4728
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: "Ignoring red lights is 100% safe"

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:30 pm

As a pedestrian I crossed a road when the red man said I shouldn't. I walked 30m down the street and crossed there.

Perfectly legal.

Was it any safer?? Did it make me a citizen of higher moral standard??

:roll: :twisted:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18161
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: "Ignoring red lights is 100% safe"

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Agreed. The moral ambiguity is clear. The legality is not in dispute. If somebody suggests that a cyclist going through a red light is not conducive to good PR, then I can't disagree. If somebody takes a position of never going through a red light then I can't fault them. However the extreme position of saying that it is always dangerous and/or morally reprehensible is not one that I believe is defensible.

I am happy to play the devils advocate on many issues, this is merely one of them. A discussion group that merely reinforces the majority beliefs is a dangerous beast!
human909
 
Posts: 4728
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: "Ignoring red lights is 100% safe"

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 pm

il padrone wrote:As a pedestrian I crossed a road when the red man said I shouldn't. I walked 30m down the street and crossed there.

Perfectly legal.

Was it any safer?? Did it make me a citizen of higher moral standard??

:roll: :twisted:


Sounds about right.

It annoys me to watch the lemmings redman without the slightest glance up from Faceache only slightly less than the prawns who march up to a quiet PATS crossing, hammer the button then stroll across without waiting for a green. Guaranteed I'll be approaching and have to stop for an empty crossing :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25554
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Previous

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aushiker, Bing [Bot], feral grasshopper



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter