New Sony Action Cam

sblack

Re: New Sony Action Cam

Postby sblack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:40 pm

herzog wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:
You can do that easily in most editing packages, even Windows Live Movie Maker (free).
Sure but it's easier still if it can be done by the camera in the first place.

Also if you're on holiday or something you may want to review the footage directly on a tv or mobile device without downloading into an editing package.

Such a simple feature to add - really should be a no brainer.
Yes, I currently do it in editing software but it would be nicer if I didn't have to. As herzog mentioned if you want to just watch some of the footage it's not always convienient to invert it in an editor first. If you have a couple of hours of footage it can also take a while to reencode the video when a simple setting on the camera would let it record the right way up in the first place. Much nicer if I could just put the card in a cardreader in the side of the TV and watch it straight away.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Christine Tham wrote:Sony has invited me to a session providing feedback on the Sony Action Cam on 20 Feb.

If anyone has any specific comments they would like me to pass to Sony, please post either on this thread or by PM.

I intend to raise with Sony issues about the bike and helmet mounts as previously discussed, and show them what I ended up doing with the helmet mount. I also intend talking about issues with the back hinge and the hold button. I also wish Sony would include a standard tripod mount on the camera itself, rather than forcing people to use the underwater housing, which is bulky.
Hi Christine, I have done a bit of a work around in the matter of fixing to a helmet and still leaving the weather proof case off, if you are interested, but don't really want to post here due to getting kicked to death for altering a sacred helmet. :D But I can post to you on pm if you think it may help as a suggestion to Sony.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 pm

sblack wrote:Hey Christine, I would like to see a firmware update which included the ability to flip the video for when the camera is mounted upside down.
Shouldn't be too hard for the people at Sony. The Liquid Image EGO now has this feature courtesy of the latest firmware upgrade.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Sony have released the new extra viewing screen.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/2/9/a ... -grip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am

Fairly happy with the low light capabilities of the Sony. I think it could actually see better than me.

Mind you, it needs a windscreen wiper.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 pm

A great camera indeed, have had it for about 6 months with no problems BUT now it's got a funny "I'll just stop recording for no reason" bug.
Anyone else had this happen?

One Sony forum I read suggested it could be due to a loose battery - I will MacGuyver this and post results

I have it mounted to the frame facing Aft, so it does cop a bit of vibration.

Cheers

Tim

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Well,

Have gone for blu tack in the battery tray, and it doesn't move at all.
No issues yet, though not likely to surface on my puny commute, will have to wait for the long rides on the weekend.

In the meanwhile, have found some other potential issues - rattling lenses and such - some vids on how to fix below (not from me). Will have to get round to these fixes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm7rUsqQF8A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6UGb_K75I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, still like the camera...

Cheers

Time

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu May 02, 2013 12:41 am

Timeonabike wrote:In the meanwhile, have found some other potential issues - rattling lenses and such
Will have to have a look into those rattle fix suggestions. Would be great to get some more usable sound.

In other news....

New firmware (v2.0) is out. Adds 1080p at 60fps recording with sound. Also an underwater scene mode and the ability to disable notification beeps.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu May 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Tried my cam in my car on the weekend. Worked ok but the wind noise is a but extreme. Standard handlebar mount worked well on the harness bar.

http://vimeo.com/65271839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fingy

Postby fingy » Thu May 02, 2013 6:26 pm

sblack wrote:New firmware (v2.0) is out. Adds 1080p at 60fps recording with sound. Also an underwater scene mode and the ability to disable notification beeps.
thanks for the link, new version just installed looks good too :)

SammyGrant

Postby SammyGrant » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 am

Christine Tham wrote:Been having lots of conversations with cyclists on the road. Everyone seems to notice my camera. Helmet mounting is obviously very visible, even though I look somewhat Borg like.

A few impatient drivers yesterday morning - got two honks at two different times. Part of the problem was it was quite dark, and for some reason my front lights kept turning off. Stupid solar panel light :-( Maybe the drivers were warning me not to be a ninja.
Surely it is nice sony camera to have.. My solar panels work right :) and I have captured some real good moments with the camera.

SammyGrant

Postby SammyGrant » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:45 am

SammyGrant wrote:
Christine Tham wrote:Been having lots of conversations with cyclists on the road. Everyone seems to notice my camera. Helmet mounting is obviously very visible, even though I look somewhat Borg like.

A few impatient drivers yesterday morning - got two honks at two different times. Part of the problem was it was quite dark, and for some reason my front lights kept turning off. Stupid solar kits light :-( Maybe the drivers were warning me not to be a ninja
Surely it is nice sony camera to have.. My solar panels work right :) and I have captured some real good moments with the camera.

ACMECorp

Postby ACMECorp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:29 am

Hi from Russia!
Decided to share my camera mount.
"Garmin Edge Out Front Bike Mount" help me in my idea (camera is attached to it by 2 bolts):
ImageImageImage

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi Acmecorp, as it is plastic, do you find that it wobbles about. It is an elegant solution though I am guessing with the weight of the Garmin and camera that it will move up / down much more and give the shutter roll effect.
Cycling is in my BNA

ACMECorp

Postby ACMECorp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:52 pm

AUbicycles
Hi! Well street -5* Celsius and snowing. So I can not yet check it but I rode around the house, shaking bike for the wheel and everything was fine.
(sry for my bad English!)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:53 pm

I picked one up today... On special and heading os soon so get the tax back... Now to work out the mountings on the 4 bikes that I use

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 pm

I see there is a firmware update for the HDR-AS30V camera that adds the flip feature to it so you can film upside down..
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-downl ... group_id=5
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 pm

unedited copy of riding the Toowoomba range.
I had the camera set to HQ 30fps but I had stabilisation turned off (turning it back I think). Used the Sony handlebar mount and had the camera sitting up so I could easily turn it on and off (ride was longer than battery life). It was also about to storm so overcast morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeAkK_IWSg

I have compressed it to low quality and you tube has compressed it again.
Will edit the ride one night and upload it again when I am off 4g internet

keith_h

Postby keith_h » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I thought I would add my experience here in case it helps someone.

I'm using an A20 on the Sony handlebar bracket. I had it mounted so I could see the Garmin, but the Garmin screen is too reflective and I couldn't be bothered to get a piece of anti reflective film to sort it out. The idea was to track speed and location (distance) from rides for my own information. You can buy cams with GPS and suitable software so that can be solved in a more hi tech way if it becomes important. I have since turned the mount around so the tripod mount is in front of the handlebars and the view is just of the road ahead.

Problems encountered:

Unit stopped recording. This is a known problem of the battery coming loose solved by wrapping the battery with a little electric tape to make it a snug fit.
Fogging. A real problem where I live where the humidity is ridiculous. Anti fog sheets proved useless so I have drilled two small holes below the tripod mount at the rear of the case. If you have a look at your case you can see this is actually protected and should be OK with respect to water ingress on the handlebars but obviously the case is no longer waterproof. I'll get another case if I ever decide to take it swimming.
Vibration. Some roads are in such poor shape the recorded video is useless. I'm on 23mm tires and intend to go 25mm when they need replacing. I'm guessing this in not the answer but it couldn't hurt.
Wet weather. The video quality is affected by water pooling on the lens cover. This was solved with rainex applied to the lens cover although before you do this you should do your own tests and be comfortable that this won't damage the case. I had no issues but the manufacturer says its not recommended for application to plastic. I try not to ride in the rain anyway but it seems to work OK at repelling water while riding.

Native video quality is excellent but rendering needs to be done carefully so as to not mangle it completely and not have a massive file. There's a bit to learn about youtube as well to be able to force HD so your video is seen as intended.

Here's a small selection of videos of various quality with what I have learned applied along the way. The Bellthorpe video is prior to the rainex discovery (obviously), it was really bucketing down that day and would have made a big difference.

Videos