2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jzr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am

Done. I've seen your Strava link on an earlier page Daccordi, I'll go follow you.
Image
jzr
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:21 pm

by BNA » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:22 pm

BNA
 

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:22 pm

Yeah I'll do a ride Easter Friday, why not.

Also I have discovered that the Strava iPhone app uses Strava calculated elevation. I.e. it corrects any GPS elevation data against landmarked elevation in the Strava database.

I corrected the elevation on some Garmin tracked rides I did today and they came back the same as what my iPhone said for previous rides. In both cases it involved adding around 50% more elevation to the ride - this mornings ride went from 1196m to 1700m, and lunchtime ride went from 200m to 300m.

I think I trust my Garmin more, though. The Garmin always spits out the same elevation for each ride so I will stick with that - even if it'll take me a fair bit longer to hit 175k up!
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

'So, where'd you two meet?'

'Oh, on strava - its like this online dating/ride tracking website/app.'

Young love, bless...
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby BarryTas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 am

Year-to-Date
Distance 3,463.4km
Time 127hr 35m
Elev Gain 54,877m
Rides 101
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Time for an update

Image - toolonglegs
Image - norbs
Image - Marshious
Image - hannos
Image - DaveOZ
Image - Mugglechops
Image - grt046
Image - Dimma
Image - Chuck
Image - kb
Image - chucknitro
Image - Daccordi Rider
Image - sblack
Image - boss
Image - cavebear2
Image - warthog1
Image - singlespeedscott
Image - oldnewby
Image - RoFlmaTiC
Image - VBplease
Image - Wardie
Image - clydesmcdale
Image - Lukeyboy
Image - Jason C
Image - Red Rider
Image - gretaboy
Image - jzr
Image - stinhambo
Image - InTheWoods
Image - Ginjin
Image - Bentnose
Image - Mustang
Image - goneriding
Image - wqlava1
Image - Brisvegas
Image - Dan
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 pm

400m behind... After being off the bike for 17 days so far this month its time I start to get climbing again :P
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:400m behind... After being off the bike for 17 days so far this month its time I start to get climbing again :P

that's 1 coot-tha loop, or 1 day commuting. i wouldn't consider that "behind" considering the weather we've had.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm

At least my total elevation gain is now greater than my deficit o.O Missing an entire month was always going to put me behind a line calculated on 12 months, not 11, though.
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:400m behind... After being off the bike for 17 days so far this month its time I start to get climbing again :P

that's 1 coot-tha loop, or 1 day commuting. i wouldn't consider that "behind" considering the weather we've had.


-439 behind to +1665m ahead.... :P
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Bentnose » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Its been raining cat and dogs so I rode inside, just when I was catching up, big climbs planned for the weekend to make up the loss.
Image
User avatar
Bentnose
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Watsonia North, Victoria

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

I smashed myself today, pushed a fast and hard 70km and 2000m this morning before work, then a leisurely paced 20km and 200m at lunch... and I just got the word from the lady that she's going late night shopping... so gotta take advantage of that and go for a ride this evening.

It's pretty windy out but beautiful temperature wise - currently 22. See if I can't get another 800 odd meters to round the days effort up to 3000m. Will probably do it over a longer distance, I'm feeling a bit faded and worn out compared to this morning.
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jzr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Dan wrote:'So, where'd you two meet?'

'Oh, on strava - its like this online dating/ride tracking website/app.'

Young love, bless...


:lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
jzr
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 am

Back to iphone discrepancies. Yesterday I did 2200m and measured with the iphone strava and my Mavic Altimeter. They were close enough in the reckoning on total elevation for the difference to be irrelevant.

So Boss, not cheating dude. 8)
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Back to iphone discrepancies. Yesterday I did 2200m and measured with the iphone strava and my Mavic Altimeter. They were close enough in the reckoning on total elevation for the difference to be irrelevant.

So Boss, not cheating dude. 8)


I was just teasing on Strava hahaha. I've corrected a few rides now and the elevation differences are pretty amazing, I think someone mentioned that Garmins underestimate elevation on steep stuff. So maybe that's whats going on.

Not like it matters though, end of the day it's just a number... the hurt in my legs tells my brain that I've been riding a few hills!

Seriously though. I can't believe how fast you are though, like damn! Some of your times, and in general your average speeds are so far out of my ballpark that it's amazing. Definitely some inspiration for me - how long have you been at the level you're at right now? And how long did it take?

Update for yesterday's little post, I only ended up doing 34km + 700ish meters. The little lady called me up when I was at Lofty and asked if I wanted to go to the pub. My urge for parmi and beer was much higher than my urge to climb unknown climbs.
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Best not to follow dimma too, then. What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, emasculating. o_O
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Dan wrote:Best not to follow dimma too, then. What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, emasculating. o_O


I've got Dimma's number as far as meters go, so I won't feel too bad if he's heaps faster than me. After all, I could be that fast if I spent less time climbing and more time resting my weary legs. Hahhaha
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:25 pm

I think the idea of parmi and beer induced rest is tops ;)
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dimma » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:33 pm

My ears are burning.
Hopefully new bike will be sorted in the coming week, and the weather clears up then I get get some decent rides in.
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks Boss. Well I have been riding properly about 2 years after being casual about it for 2 years before that. I got a jump in performance when I started racing 18 months ago. I have also sorted a few health things, hypoglycaemia and some others that was holding me back and then joined a racing team in Spring.

That has given me my biggest jump along with health. I have got long regular miles this spring and summer and been riding with people far better than me. My first crit I was in B grade, in October, and got smashed. That lead me to talk to more experienced people and train with them. By the third Crit I was up the front and comfortable.

If I remember right you have been road riding 6 odd months and you do just need to get miles under your belt to get that underlying base you can rely on. You also should get out and do some races. These take you to places you may not push yourself normally and you get to meet great riders and pick their brains. If you are an old fart like me Adelaide Hills Vets club would suit, otherwise Norwood Cycle club or any other open club.

Hope that sort of answers your question. Look forward to riding with you at Easter.

Edit - I've been at this level now. Just steadily improving at the moment. Very satisfying really.
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 am

Daccordi Rider wrote:Thanks Boss. Well I have been riding properly about 2 years after being casual about it for 2 years before that. I got a jump in performance when I started racing 18 months ago. I have also sorted a few health things, hypoglycaemia and some others that was holding me back and then joined a racing team in Spring.

That has given me my biggest jump along with health. I have got long regular miles this spring and summer and been riding with people far better than me. My first crit I was in B grade, in October, and got smashed. That lead me to talk to more experienced people and train with them. By the third Crit I was up the front and comfortable.

If I remember right you have been road riding 6 odd months and you do just need to get miles under your belt to get that underlying base you can rely on. You also should get out and do some races. These take you to places you may not push yourself normally and you get to meet great riders and pick their brains. If you are an old fart like me Adelaide Hills Vets club would suit, otherwise Norwood Cycle club or any other open club.

Hope that sort of answers your question. Look forward to riding with you at Easter.

Edit - I've been at this level now. Just steadily improving at the moment. Very satisfying really.


Thanks for that.

Yeah, I've been riding a roadie for five months now and had a 700c singlespeed for a month before that. Prior to that I've ridden BMX since I was 14 - not racing, skatepark and jumping. And commuted by BMX rain/hail/shine for 6-7 years.

So I've started reasonably fit with decent cardio but nothing special. Since starting riding big bikes I think I've gotten a lot fitter and stronger, but I think most of my gains have just been mental - just learning to hurt for longer.

So yeah - thanks for your tips. I'm trying to ride with fast guys once or twice a week, and apart from that just going hard as I can regardless of weather and conditions. Like if I get a headwind and my legs feel good, ill still push like I'm going for a PR. And of course riding as much as I can in the hills.

Easter should be good!
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Clean 40,000m after this mornings hitout. 90km and 2600m... I'm ready for a nap.
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Daccordi Rider » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Flat crosswind race at Goolwa for me so precious few metres. And I got hammered by the Rouler types. Hills races the next few weeks so I will get my revenge. :twisted:
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Dan wrote:I think the idea of parmi and beer induced rest is tops ;)


oh that sounds good
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Recovery session

Image

I'm going to be asleep before 8 I reckon
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Part two

Image
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter