2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 8200
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:10 pm

I'm actually looking at a sunny coast map trying to work out the hardest possible route. The biggest I've done (start/finish in Coolum) was over Kiel Mountain to Razorback, back down through Nambour and Landsborough to Bald Knob, then through Conondale and Kenilworth to go up Obi Obi and back to the coast. That was a smidge over 200k for 3,086m climbing.

Whatever I come up with should probably include Mt Mee and some climbs around Peachester. Then maybe up Mons Rd to Buderim on the way back to the coast.

Mt Glorious is pushing a bit too far south to be Sunshine Coast IMO, would be a fair hike to ride down there.

User avatar
DTdotcom
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 pm

http://app.strava.com/activities/35301351#

I missed the last one, luckily I was busy.

jasonc
Posts: 8755
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Dimma wrote: luckily I was busy.


breaking another bike?

User avatar
DTdotcom
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Hey I haven't broken a bike for a couple of months now, was only a snapped pedal today.

jasonc
Posts: 8755
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Dimma wrote:Hey I haven't broken a bike for a couple of months now, was only a snapped pedal today.


too much powahhhh!

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Great segment...... going the other way :lol: :lol:

The route I'm talking about - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/185847680
It says a gain of 3500m but that's not true. Chermside via Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious/Fernvale is only 3k in climbing over ~120km and Wivenhoe-Ipswich is kinda flat too. The Mt Challenge is just hill after hill :P
http://app.strava.com/activities/27771141

User avatar
InTheWoods
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 pm

jasonc wrote:105km/2500m this morning


Makes my 1750m in 65km this morn seem inadequate :(

jasonc
Posts: 8755
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:12 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:105km/2500m this morning


Makes my 1750m in 65km this morn seem inadequate :(


that'll learn you for trying to do a cheeky ride before heading down to the flat gold coast

Lukeyboy wrote:Great segment...... going the other way :lol: :lol:

The route I'm talking about - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/185847680
It says a gain of 3500m but that's not true. Chermside via Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious/Fernvale is only 3k in climbing over ~120km and Wivenhoe-Ipswich is kinda flat too. The Mt Challenge is just hill after hill :P


in case anyone asks, the answer to me doing that ride: no
but I have sent it to my mate
love how small coot-tha looks next to the rest of them

User avatar
stinhambo
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Cairns, QLD

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby stinhambo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:34 pm

After my climb, my right calf feels really tight. I assume I just need to stretch more?

jasonc
Posts: 8755
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 pm

stinhambo wrote:After my climb, my right calf feels really tight. I assume I just need to stretch more?


time for a physio roller. in the mean time, stretch more

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Mt Glorious is pushing a bit too far south to be Sunshine Coast IMO, would be a fair hike to ride down there.


What about pushing through Mt Glorious to Mt Nebo and then onto Toowong and train it back north or back into Samford to Ferny Grove and then train to city/train north?

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 4931
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Mt Glorious is pushing a bit too far south to be Sunshine Coast IMO, would be a fair hike to ride down there.


What about pushing through Mt Glorious to Mt Nebo and then onto Toowong and train it back north or back into Samford to Ferny Grove and then train to city/train north?

The 5 hardest road climbs on Brissies Northside IMHO:
Mt. Glorious,
Clear mtn from Samsonvale rd.,
Campbell's Pocket Rd.,
Bellthorpe range and
Landsbourgh to Malaney Rd.

User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 8200
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:24 pm

On the very rare occasions I have time to get down there, I just stay with my brother in bris. One of these days I will get down there to do Glorious/Nebo/Coot-tha, and O'Reilly's again asap.

User avatar
Bentnose
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 am
Location: N/E suburbs Melbourne, Victoria

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Bentnose » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Just over 100km in a 15 hour period with 1825M of climbing, thats my long weekend riding done, mostly, legs blew big time on the way home today

User avatar
Dan
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 pm

You guys. I smashed out 185m just this morning! Not even a typo.

jasonc
Posts: 8755
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Dan wrote:You guys. I smashed out 185m just this morning! Not even a typo.


come on - I do over 200m commuting 1 way

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 4931
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dan wrote:You guys. I smashed out 185m just this morning! Not even a typo.


come on - I do over 200m commuting 1 way

River loop?

User avatar
Dan
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:43 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dan wrote:You guys. I smashed out 185m just this morning! Not even a typo.


come on - I do over 200m commuting 1 way


Funny, hey. My commute is 134 I think - this was indeed riverloop. I never claimed to enjoy hills - quite possibly why my target is about a quarter of everyone else's ;)

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 pm

The Kedron Brook Bikeway has more climbing :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
brett.hooker
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:10 am

KBB - bwahahaha... Nice...
I love doing the Sandgate run via KBB and realising that my driveway was the biggest hill on the whole run... :-)

User avatar
stinhambo
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Cairns, QLD

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby stinhambo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:47 pm

jasonc wrote:
stinhambo wrote:After my climb, my right calf feels really tight. I assume I just need to stretch more?


time for a physio roller. in the mean time, stretch more

Thanks :)

Daccordi Rider
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Daccordi Rider » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:17 pm

7500m odd for the week. Tomorrow is the first ride for the Adelaide chapter of "Strangers I met on the interwebz by signing up to a crazy climbing challenge"!

jzr
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby jzr » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:07 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:7500m odd for the week. Tomorrow is the first ride for the Adelaide chapter of "Strangers I met on the interwebz by signing up to a crazy climbing challenge"!


That's what happens when you're a local celebrity Daccordi :P

As it turns out, small world that Adelaide is, Boss and I used to work together once upon a time and I can safely say, we're not the axe murderer type :lol:

User avatar
toolonglegs
Posts: 15451
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Funny story... Sitting at a table of French and English pros in Morocco last night... And the topic of a certain banana eating forum member came up... Impressed but crazy was the general gist of it, pretty funny hearing Durian's name mentioned!... And for the record the very first thing they do when they get back to their rooms each night has been upload to strava just like us ;) ... Then get pee'd off if they get a lost KOM email lol.

User avatar
DaveOZ
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Bowral NSW
Contact:

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote: And for the record the very first thing they do when they get back to their rooms each night has been upload to strava just like us ;) ... Then get pee'd off if they get a lost KOM email lol.


Funny, thanks for the insight TLL. Good to see they are normal like the rest of us and love Strava.

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: octopusbananas, TheWall