6K Club 2013 Edition

norbs

Re: 6K Club 2013 Edition

Postby norbs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I had to leave late, so it was a pretty warm ride for me. And the wind coming home is enough to give a man the browns.

http://app.strava.com/activities/43819266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Just caught up on the 6k goss, after about 6 weeks of hardly being on here. Well done to everyone who have been riding in adverse conditions, and quick healing to those who have injuries/operations/recoveries going on.
My wedding is in 5 days, so haven't had a lot of long rides, but have been fitting in a few shorter ones here and there.
Highlight if Feb was conquering Baw Baw, with the Climbing Cyclist/Hells 500 group - a fantastic day. 95km with about 2500m of climbing. I was rapt to knock over the last 7km, and other than a few minor glitches, it was an awesome outing. One of the 'glitches' was that my garmin file was corrupt, so couldn't upload the ride. I've had the fit file looked at by Strava & Garmin (and a couple of computer savvy mates), and it's dead. My question to you fellow 6kers - when entering an activity manually, is there any way of entering meters gained?

As it's now mid march, it's too hard to work out a Feb summary, but I'm pretty happy with how the year is going - considering work has been insane, and there's been lots of wedding planning going on.

Keep up the great work 6kers!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Nice to see you Oldnewby :) . Sadly though there is no way to enter meterage if the files corrupted. You'll just have to go out and ride it again!

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm

cheers grantw, I figured there wasn't much hope, thought it was worth asking... I will ride it again sometime soon, spewing I 'lose' 2500m on my climbing target though!!

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm back on the bike again! I am feeling under the weather but decided to just do it anyway. Managed 70km and 400m of climbing (was almost sick at the top of the hill!) and then crashed (on the bed) when I got home. Woke up that evening :D

I've decided that I don't like my saddle (the insides of my buttocks are very tender but not rash like sore) and the palms of my hands are red (too much weight pushed forward?).

I might actually try 'training' as opposed to casual riding and see how much better I get. Apparently crit racing is starting up in Cairns and I want to see if I can get into D level. I've no idea what to expect but it must be fun right?

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm

oldnewby wrote:Just caught up on the 6k goss, after about 6 weeks of hardly being on here. Well done to everyone who have been riding in adverse conditions, and quick healing to those who have injuries/operations/recoveries going on.
My wedding is in 5 days, so haven't had a lot of long rides, but have been fitting in a few shorter ones here and there.
[snip...]
Good luck for the wedding Oldnewby!!! Do you get to take your bike on the honeymoon?? :) Big chance to catch up on a few km there if you have some time off.

Hope the day goes well.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:32 pm

oldnewby wrote:cheers grantw, I figured there wasn't much hope, thought it was worth asking... I will ride it again sometime soon, spewing I 'lose' 2500m on my climbing target though!!
You are 9,700m AHEAD! :)
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 pm

thanks coffee&wine.. yeah I am a fair way ahead of my climbing target - but I wanna be another 2500m ahead!! :)
We are off work for a few days after the wedding, and won't be able to take the bike... but my 'boys' activity on the morning of the wedding is going to be a short bike ride with 3 of my groomsmen, so that's something!
thanks for the well wishes, and keep up the good riding!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 am

Been a bad year for riding so far for me. Various things have conspired to keep me off the bike and I'm falling behind. Now I have another cold and I'm off to Melbourne for the F1 on thursday (no I am not taking the bike).

Oh well, just mean I have to work harder through winter to catch up.

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 am

oldnewby, enjoy your wedding. The shorter rides and loosing rides doesn't seamed to have hurt your progress much, still comfortably ahead of your target with enough of a buffer to enjoy some time with your new wife without falling behind.

Mugglechops, hope you're healing up well.

I had my first morning back on the bike this morning after a week trying to fight off a cold and virus. Still not 100% but well enough to cruise the 5.8km into work. Will be interesting to see how I go up the hill on the way home this afternoon. At any rate the Train Like Taylor challenge appears well beyond me now and the focus for the rest of the month will be working to get my monthly climbing back on track.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 am

All this talk of manflu is getting me worried. Went for a ride with BLC this morning and he complained of waking with a scratchy throat and was coughing and spluttering by the time we turned for home. I'm hoping I stay fit until the weekend so I can "enjoy" the Oppy. Will be very happy to collapse after that :)

Happy nuptials btw Oldnewby and enjoy the F1 Daveoz.

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

I might have JUST sneaked in front of the arrow for now. Little bugger, he never rests.

Good luck Oldnewby.

Have fun Dave.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 pm

thanks for the well-wishes sblack, grantw & norbs!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:11 pm

oldnewby wrote: My question to you fellow 6kers - when entering an activity manually, is there any way of entering meters gained?
Go to Bike Route Toaster and plug in the route you rode. Use a very low average speed so you don't steal all the KOMs then export it as a GPX file. You can then import that into Strava with all elevation data and a route map. :wink:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Been a bad year for riding so far for me. Various things have conspired to keep me off the bike and I'm falling behind. Now I have another cold and I'm off to Melbourne for the F1 on thursday (no I am not taking the bike).

Oh well, just mean I have to work harder through winter to catch up.
$8 for a week has the bike sorted

What's your next excuse :mrgreen:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:
What's your next excuse :mrgreen:
LOL, it breaks all 'The Rules' and my shoes will not fit on the pedals. :cry:

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm

DaveOZ wrote:
oldnewby wrote: My question to you fellow 6kers - when entering an activity manually, is there any way of entering meters gained?
Go to Bike Route Toaster and plug in the route you rode. Use a very low average speed so you don't steal all the KOMs then export it as a GPX file. You can then import that into Strava with all elevation data and a route map. :wink:
I wish I had thought of that :D

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm

oldnewby wrote:My wedding is in 5 days, so haven't had a lot of long rides, but have been fitting in a few shorter ones here and there.
!
Have a happy wedding!! :wink:
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:01 pm

thanks Mustang!
and thanks Daveoz for the route tip, I will give that a go shortly!

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 am

DaveOZ wrote:Go to Bike Route Toaster and plug in the route you rode. Use a very low average speed so you don't steal all the KOMs then export it as a GPX file. You can then import that into Strava with all elevation data and a route map.
Worked DaveOz, thanks so much, got my meters back :) really appreaciate the tip!

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:53 pm

After 45minutes on the trainer yesterday, this mornings 50kms was hard yakka.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Just finished packing the car for the drive up to Sydney for tomorrows Oppy. Feeling quite excited :)

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Best of luck with the Oppy Grant. Looking forward to reading your report of the adventure I'm sure it'll be.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Looks like my sig will go green tonight. :D

Unfortunately this could be a temporary state of affairs. :( This morning I noticed my frame has a very big crack. It's an alloy frame and the crack goes almost all the way around the top tube right near the seatpost and also there are cracks going back beside the seatpost. Not good. I think the reason for this is that I put in a nice Velo Orange seatpost which has a 30mm setback when I fitted a Brooks saddle, which has short rails. Hence there must have been a lot of flexing as my weight would be further back. I have had an issue with noise coming from the seatpost area and eventually this was solved with grease and oil on the seatpost. However, I suspect it has been flexing for a while given this has happened. Add to this the fact that I weigh 100Kg and that I have a bag in a basket on the back and I think I have found the recipe for disaster. Also I am 5'10" (178cm apparently) and my frame is 50cm so I think a bigger frame would mean less flexing at the seatpost since I would have the seatpost further down the post tube and also this would mean a longer top tube so I wouldn't need the seat so far back.

Anyway. looking at the cracks I think it is time for a new bike. I got 3.5 years and 21,800 KMs out of this one. Not great but I think I contributed to the problem and will look tomorrow with the idea I need a larger frame. I might also have a quick look to see if it is possible just to buy a frame. In any case I'm not confident that the bike is safe so don't really want to ride it. Pity since I really have liked this bike.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

grt046

Postby grt046 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 pm

sblack wrote:Best of luck with the Oppy Grant. Looking forward to reading your report of the adventure I'm sure it'll be.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
+1

Hope the weather is in your favour this time

GT
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)