6K Club 2013 Edition

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: 6K Club 2013 Edition

Postby celeste boy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am

You're a hard man David S.
A guy gets his bike wiped out and all I've got to ride is a SS MTB and a roadie that I can't get wet or dirty. How am I going to keep up?
Following Dave's suggestion I've had a go at putting the progress bar on.

Graham

celeste boy

by BNA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 am

BNA

Postby norbs » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 am

celeste boy wrote:You're a hard man David S.
A guy gets his bike wiped out and all I've got to ride is a SS MTB and a roadie that I can't get wet or dirty. How am I going to keep up?

Graham

Stop being so precious about the roadie and get out and ride! :wink:
norbs

Postby grantw » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am

A dirty bike is a happy bike
[gloat]

[/gloat]
grantw

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 pm

DaveOZ wrote:since there are no signatures for now, I've posted a link to my bar to see how far behind I am... :(

Looks good compared to mine :D
Mugglechops

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

celeste boy wrote:You're a hard man David S.

Graham

Hard, I just broke the frame on my bike and had to get another (I only have one bike). It seems I'm harder on my bike than I am on you ;)

Here's my attempt at the progress bar:

Gee, the progress bar was green until I broke the bike.

DS
DavidS

Postby celeste boy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:40 am

And what are the chances of my bike getting wiped out on the bike rack and 2 days later my neighbour gets rear-ended while on his bike? Another write off.
Let's hope this is not catching on.

Graham
celeste boy

Postby norbs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Check this out.

Made my day.
norbs

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 pm

norbs wrote:Check this out

Made my day.

Obviously she reads your blog. :D
DaveOZ

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Definitely non pro cycling
find_bruce

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:00 pm

celeste boy wrote:And what are the chances of my bike getting wiped out on the bike rack and 2 days later my neighbour gets rear-ended while on his bike? Another write off.
Let's hope this is not catching on.

Graham

I hadn't been involved in a car prang for many years. Then I had two bikes written off in 7 months on bike racks on the back of my car.

My theory is that bikes are invisible. And this invisibility extends to the vehicle carrying them.
Ozkaban

Postby sblack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Well it seams this has been the month of ailing bodies and bikes. Hope everyone has successfully shaken any sickness they where suffering.

Also hope DavidS and celeste boy sort out their bike woes soon.

Mugglechops, how's your recovery going?

As a bit of an update my month started off ok with a couple of MTB rides to finish of the February Fifteen Strava challenge but then I succumbed to the virus that the rest of the family had been battling and I was pretty much out of action for two weeks trying to recover.

A couple of rides and back to commuting, just at cruising pace helped get the month going again and then last Thursday I decided it was time to head to Blackbutt on the 29er to start getting my climbing back on track as it was well behind for the month. I probably should have checked the tyre pressure as it had been a while since I'd been on the bike and on the road it felt squirmish. Still I figured the lower pressure might work on the dirt so I didn't bother. On the dirt and the first section of track I seamed to be all over the place. It was until the end of the 800m section of singletrack that I realised I hadn't unlocked the fork, not the greatest start. The next section was a climb and my legs just didn't want to get going properly so it was a slow one followed by a gentle roll down the next section and then after drifting wide on a banked turn I started to tighten my line to make the next across the open section so that I'd make the next singletrack entrance. It was then that I found myself suddenly on the ground as the front end washed out. It was a decent hit with the ground that winded me and took a few moments to regather myself and work out nothing seamed broken before getting up to look at the bike. The front tyre was completely flat and I wonder if the pressure had been too low, allowing it to roll off the rim causing the sudden loss of traction. Lesson learned to keep an eye on the pressure a little more closely next time as I slowly went about putting in a tube and reinflating the tyre before heading off again to see if I'd be able to continue my ride. It didn't take long to realise that I was probably better heading for home and cutting it short to get my hip on ice and prevent doing any further damage.

The following day the hip was quite stiff and painful but I managed the commute to work ok, albiet slowly. The hardest part was getting off the bike at the end. The commute home would continue my woes as the rain came in just as I'd started and I didn't even see where I picked up the glass that would put about an 8mm cut through my front tyre. After removing the glass it was apparent that this one would be too much for the sealant to hold as it would seal with the tyre near flat only to start spitting out and losing pressure again as the tyre approached a usable pressure. So now it was time to fit a tube to the roadie so I could get home. Just as I was putting the wheel back on the bike a guy in a fairly nice looking ute, towing a trailer pulled up to check if I was ok and asked if I needed a lift anywhere. I thanked him for the offer but told him I was fine to go on but I have to say it was nice to see the offer of a generous helping hand from a stranger that we unfortunately don't seam to see often enough these days. I should mention also that by this stage I was well and truly soaked so he wasn't just offering me a lift but willing to let his vehicle get wet helping me out.

By the next day my injury pain had subsided to a stiffness and a bit of discomfort so I decided it was time to have a crack at a segement I'd set up a week earlier. It's 22km with about 500m of climbing and I'd ridden it a few times in the past with a time around 1 hour and 3 to 5 minutes. I figured I could work towards making it a sub hour ride for when I don't have time for anything longer. So as I headed off it didn't take long at all for the stiffness in the hip to work itself out and be nothing more than an occasional minor discomfort. My shoulder and elbow on the other hand struggled a little with out of the saddle climbing but the real limit to my riding was my current level of fitness (or lack thereof) that had resulted from the lack lustre past few weeks. I felt like I was struggling the whole time and it wasn't until I was rounding the roundabout at the turnaround point that I realised I was actually in with a shot of breaking the hour. My spirits lifted and I pushed on, feeling a little more confident as at the peaks of the climbs I was still above the required average.

I arrived at the foot of the final climb fairly confident I had enough time to spare and pushed on up there. While I'd spent much of the ride feeling like I was really struggling and like I wasn't able to put a decent effort the final climb was more like the feeling of having been out for a hard ride as I gave that last little bit to get to the top. The end result was I managed a 55:05 with an average of 24.0km/h. I'd really thought the hour was something I'd have to work towards so I was stoked with the time and now decided I could start looking towards a 25km/h average as something to work on.

As I was kept busy with other things I would only do my short commute again for the next few days until Wednesday when I knew I was running out of time to reach my 6999m monthly climbing target. With only 5 days left in the month I was just over the halfway mark. The commute home that day showed promise though as for the first time since being sick I really felt good on the bike and I managed my third fastest time for the route. Later that night I had enough time for another crack at the Jamberoo return segment. This time I was feeling much better on the bike than last time and instead of feeling like I was struggling I felt like I was pushing fairly hard. I was still feeling good and pushing hard at the turnaround but somewhere around halfway through the return leg I was starting to fade on the climbs. Maybe I'd gone too hard and I wasn't going to be able to hold it until then end. Still, while I was still ahead of target I kept pushing despite the pain.

The final climb felt like a case of just surviving and hanging on to the time I had as best I could. In actual fact, even though I felt like I had faded considerably by then I was still climbing faster than I had the previous attempt and I arrived at the top with an average speed for the segment of 26.2km/h. Yet again I'd suprised myself by beating my goal. This time my time was 50:31 so I guess my next target will be to break 50 minutes.

The only downside to this effort was I was completely stuffed and today the legs where already tired to begin with but I still had a lot of climbing to do to reach my target. I was gifted with an RDO today and a gorgeous day to go with it. There would be no attempts at PRs today, it would now be all about pacing myself to help the legs get the rest of the climbing in. I had a great day cruising along, including riding to school with the kids, going for a much slower ride to Jamberoo. Then it was back down to the school for the Easter Hat parade before some lunch and then the big test. How would my tired legs cope with a slow run up Macquarie Pass? Even taking it slow they hurt the whole way but I got to the top knowing that things where starting to look a bit more promising for my climbing target.

A milkshake and pie at The Famous Robertson Pie Shop before the run back down and then one final ride for the day to pick the kids up from school. In the end I'd only managed a slow 75.9km during the day but 1596m of climbing. Now I have 3 days to find the time and legs to do the remaining 1104m required.
sblack

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Good luck getting those final few metres Shane.

I am still probably 4 weeks away from riding and it will only be a slow road riding.
Mugglechops

Postby grantw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 pm

That's a nice segment Shane, there will be guys queuing up outside your house to contest it :-)

I rolled over 1000kms for the month today with a lovely easy ride along the cycleways of Wollongong on my Rivendell. Heaps of people out enjoying the public holiday on the coastal path, ran into some old friends and had an interesting chat with some cycle tourists who were heading south for the long weekend.
grantw

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 pm

Been out for 4 weeks & no progress bar? Any info?
Mustang

Postby grt046 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Mustang wrote:Been out for 4 weeks & no progress bar? Any info?

Here is the story so far viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62531

Some are posting their progress bar in occasional posts like:

Graeme
grt046

Postby celeste boy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:00 am

Trying hard to catch that red arrow and get out of the brown.
I had a bit of a learning experience this week. Went out on ride on Tuesday on the you-beaut 11sp carbon bike with friends and came back with an average of 25km/hr. Went out and did a similar ride, only longer on the SS MTB and came back with 23km/hr- and this included some dirt trails. Not a lot of difference when you consider the difference in technology ($) in the 2 bikes. Any way I'm up to here:

Graham
celeste boy

Postby breezer1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am

Last day of month and got a 50+ ride in this morning, a bit cloudy today here in newcastle but a pleasant ride to newcastle, will keep off the road over the next day or so till after easter, will stick to the cycleways if i want a ride, not chancing the eager to get home traffic at the end of the holidays, especially after a few incidents the bna members are encountering with run ins with vehicles lately!
breezer1

Postby macca33 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:15 am

I got 974Km in this month - which was my best since saddling up in October, so I'm wrapt. Murray to Moyne this weekend and I hope to crack 1000km in April - we'll see.

cheers

macca33

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:57 am

Well done Macca - 974 km in a month will have you in the 10K club next year.

I am on 606 km for the month, so pretty much on target. Thought I would get some nice distance spending Easter in the snowies, but have been out exploring. Yesterday I tried towing 25kg of little boy & trailer up Mt Kosiousko. 15.7km in 1:38 :oops: Apparently I didn't get a KOM :D

find_bruce

Postby grantw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Well Done Macca and nice one find_bruce - there's a few audax rides on up in the Snowies this weekend and they're saying the riding is great.

I'm enjoying a spot of recovery and catching up with some housework this weekend. I'm planning to have a crack at the strava spring classics challenge next month, so I'm going to need all the rest I can get to keep churning out the kms.

I have finished March off with 1014km and 11,000m of climbing. Had a couple of tough rides, the highlight being the Opperman 24 hour which was my first 300+km ride since 2011 and the wet and lonely 200km earlier in the month which was character building. Otherwise I'm pretty pleased with how things are progressing so far this year :)

grantw

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:26 am

Some nice work guys. Good luck for M2M Macca.

Thought I would bring the average down to a more realistic figure :), 579km for March, 4999m climbing. I got within 9km of the red arrow but it is creeping out again...
coffeeandwine

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:24 am

99.2kms for March :(
Mugglechops

Postby breezer1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:38 am

Note : looks like i got the target thingy working by just posting it in comment! :D
breezer1

Postby grantw » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 am

You're slaying the target Breezer :-)
grantw

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm

For the first time since moving out of the CBD I rode into and then back out of the CBD to enjoy my favourite and habitual coffee shop. I had determinied to do so every Tuesday.

So I did the Tuesday thing this morning. First one. The weather was excellent and it was a big buzz to be back to my regular haunt.

I am now thinking that I may as well just bite the bullet and ride the long way every day and keep on enjoying my coffee and treat at Sassys as I have been doing for several years. I think I'd rather give up the fifteen minutes for the extra distance than give up my established and satisfying habit.

As I am also having to ride extra after work on more days my distance this year could increase yet again. With those hours my riding is starting to look more like my job than my recreation. :mrgreen:
ColinOldnCranky

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion