Stages Power Meter

joomz

Re: Stages Power Meter

Postby joomz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 am

I'm not that keen on getting a crank-based power meter because I've just got a new crankset (ultegra), and I don't want to splash out again making my new one redundant. Makes sense that the pedal solution would be less robust, but surely it can't be all that bad for 99% of users, or Garmin would have some serious warranty funding issues on their hands?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am

joomz wrote:I'm not that keen on getting a crank-based power meter because I've just got a new crankset (ultegra), and I don't want to splash out again making my new one redundant. Makes sense that the pedal solution would be less robust, but surely it can't be all that bad for 99% of users, or Garmin would have some serious warranty funding issues on their hands?
It's just all a bit "new". SRM, Powertap, Quarq and Power2max have all had their problems which required design changes over time.

There's Nothing wrong with being an early adopter - but training with power is addictive, you hate it when something isn't working. I have two powertap wheels, harnesses for the three bikes PLUS a spare head unit, two spare wiring kits, a spare set of bearings and a spare freehub.

And you can always sell your Ultegra cranks to offset the cost. :)
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:54 am

I ended up going the Power2max route as the final cost came to just under $1,300 AUD landed from Bikecycle.co.nz, which got me Rotor 3D cranks, the power2max unit + installation tool and Ultegra 6601 SL chainrings (chainrings from Wiggle). Couldnt be happier with the cranks so far and swapping between bikes takes 10min max (including a quick clean and removal of the other cranks).

For the extra $300, it wasnt a hard choice for me going the Power2max over the Stages.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:20 am

twizzle wrote:
There's Nothing wrong with being an early adopter - but training with power is addictive, you hate it when something isn't working. I have two powertap wheels, harnesses for the three bikes PLUS a spare head unit, two spare wiring kits, a spare set of bearings and a spare freehub.
I just bought a new bike so I could stick my power metre on it whilst my good frame is being repaired.

A p2m crank is on order for that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:35 am

Broken frame??!

Edit: Found your post under Cannondale. That sucks!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 am

After weeks of anticipation, the mail room lady did just bring me a new present....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 am

woooo

skull

Postby skull » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 am

twizzle wrote:Broken frame??!

Edit: Found your post under Cannondale. That sucks!
Yup. Caused by a stick.

Never mind got a caad 10 as a back up. Love it. Love it so much I am not sure how much riding with the 6 I'll do when it is repaired.

I have the power metre on the new bike now. So when the 6 comes back I will possibly by a p2m metre and eithet stick that on the 6 or put the quarq vack on it and the p2m on the caad.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:38 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Do a couple crits, if you don't race, and I'm sure will.
finally got to race with it tonight..

http://app.strava.com/activities/89161025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 am

In your performance graph, why are your power readings dropping so frequently to zero? That should only happen when you stop pedalling, which I dont think you would have done much of in a race. Although the cadence graph looks like you did? Just curious.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:18 am

Surging.

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 am

Arlberg wrote:In your performance graph, why are your power readings dropping so frequently to zero? That should only happen when you stop pedalling, which I dont think you would have done much of in a race. Although the cadence graph looks like you did? Just curious.
You always have zero time (not pedalling so no power) during a crit race (and road races too for that matter). Analysis of some of the top level and most successful crit racers shows that there is a correlation between the amount of zero time and a higher chance of winning, as you are saving your energy and therefore have more for the final laps where it counts.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Surging.
bang on

it was very bad last night.. 1200+w out of the turns then back to nothing for ages.. that will change as I get back to fitness and stick to the front 5-6 riders.. the first 23-25 min was spent in the top 5-6, then from 25-40min in the back half, then from 40 to the end back in the top half..

btothec

Postby btothec » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:37 am

Have ordered myself a XTR Stages crank arm for my MTB through Price USA seeing I couldn't find any shops state side that would still ship to Australia. For those that ordered through Price USA how long did it take from the time they placed your order until the Stages was in your hot little hands. I hate waiting! :)

joomz

Postby joomz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:36 am

btothec wrote:Have ordered myself a XTR Stages crank arm for my MTB through Price USA seeing I couldn't find any shops state side that would still ship to Australia. For those that ordered through Price USA how long did it take from the time they placed your order until the Stages was in your hot little hands. I hate waiting! :)
I began ordering an Ultegra arm. I asked them what the lead time was, and they said 2-4 weeks. Then there's shipping time on top of that. Good luck with the patience!

joomz

btothec wrote:Have ordered myself a XTR Stages crank arm for my MTB through Price USA seeing I couldn't find any shops state side that would still ship to Australia. For those that ordered through Price USA how long did it take from the time they placed your order until the Stages was in your hot little hands. I hate waiting! :)
I began ordering an Ultegra arm. I asked them what the lead time was, and they said 2-4 weeks. Then there's shipping time on top of that. Good luck with the patience!

joomz

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Mine took about 5-6 weeks in the end.

joomz

Postby joomz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:49 pm

@FEsportsOZ have just tweeted that they will be distributing Stages power meters. Apparently they'll be available in November. The pricing I've heard is about $200 more than in the US, a bit disappointing given the currencies are close now.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Hopefully some flexibility on RRP.

That said... seen a few Quarqs going second hand for 750 bucks. Seems like a no brainer to me if they are charging 1100 bucks for an Ultegra arm.

joomz

Postby joomz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:38 am

Actually, I just saw this, the prices aren't too bad:
http://cyclesgalleria.com.au/categories ... eters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$899 for an Ultegra arm.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:11 pm

joomz wrote:Actually, I just saw this, the prices aren't too bad:
http://cyclesgalleria.com.au/categories ... eters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$899 for an Ultegra arm.
Looking at the pricing of the DA9000 arm it is pretty much on par with what it cost me to pick one up delivered to my doorstep from the US. If anything a fraction cheaper - although I did buy when the dollar had just about hit its low for the year.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Hmmm x9 arm. Do want for my mtb.

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 am

joomz wrote:Actually, I just saw this, the prices aren't too bad:
$899 for an Ultegra arm.
I've placed an order for a 105 Stages crank through Cycles Galleria. They said their first delivery sold out within a day!

The guys there were really helpful. I hope to be able to pick it up tomorrow :D

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Stages Power Meter - Shimano Dura Ace 9000 $999.00