Stages Power Meter

g-boaf

Re: Stages Power Meter

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Battery has been good on mine, no problems at all.

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:14 pm

quarq uses threads (i think there's a rubber o-ring too). p2m uses screws over a plastic cover with a gasket. srm uses a rubber o-ring gasket and grease along with a friction fit cover. none of these are particularly high-tech solutions so it's surprising that stages haven't gotten this right. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try a different approach on their next iteration of products.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Power2max looks like it could be the next choose if things don't go well with Stages/FE.
However for those already using BSA/Shimano, you need to fork out for a brand new crank & chainrings, rendering your old Shimano crankset useless if i'm not mistaken?
So it's not just a $800 purchase, its a $800 + crankset purchase.

boss

Postby boss » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Crawf wrote:Power2max looks like it could be the next choose if things don't go well with Stages/FE.
However for those already using BSA/Shimano, you need to fork out for a brand new crank & chainrings, rendering your old Shimano crankset useless if i'm not mistaken?
So it's not just a $800 purchase, its a $800 + crankset purchase.
Correct, if you do not have compatible cranks then you'll need a new crankset and rings. Same deal with Quarq, SRM, etc. Except, say with Quarq, you are looking at AU$2k for local stock with a SRAM chainset (no rings).

I ended up paying around $1350 for a P2M classic ($799) with Rotor 3D cranks ($350) and Praxis rings ($200). The standard 3d (not 3d+) slot straight into a Shimano BB.

You could get a foot in the door cheaper with some FSA Gossamer cranks (or BYO second hand cranks) and BYO rings. Sell your Shimano chainset and probably end up somewhere vaguely close to break even.

And as I said if you already have a chainset you are looking at a ripper of a deal at $799 for a spider.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 pm

SRM has both the best and the WORST battery solution. We give you ten times the life of any competitor, very little chance of it dying unexpectedly, but you have to send the crank OS to get a battery changed :lol:

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Has yours rocked up yet Boss?

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:13 pm

If it makes you feel better Boss, my Quarq has just died, for the second time. I've had one replaced under warranty already, not sure if the warranty Quarq has warranty.

My Garmin 510 is playing up as well, very hard to upload rids to my PC.

I guess the next thing to stuff up on the bike will be the Di2.

Bloody electronics. :evil:

boss

Postby boss » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Ross wrote:If it makes you feel better Boss, my Quarq has just died, for the second time. I've had one replaced under warranty already, not sure if the warranty Quarq has warranty.

My Garmin 510 is playing up as well, very hard to upload rids to my PC.

I guess the next thing to stuff up on the bike will be the Di2.

Bloody electronics. :evil:
I haven't heard much good about old mate Quarq. Seems very hit and miss.
Last edited by boss on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

I think the most frustrating thing about the stages , from my point of view, is that for the sake of 10gm's of plastic the thing could have been a heck of a lot more robust and probably eliminated most of the concerns that have happened.

I'm on my second, first being replaced under warranty.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 pm

Xplora wrote:SRM has both the best and the WORST battery solution. We give you ten times the life of any competitor, very little chance of it dying unexpectedly, but you have to send the crank OS to get a battery changed :lol:
some models now have battery rated to 5 years.
other limited models now have user replaceable battery.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 pm

"my model" isn't user replaceable. Have they gone beyond that FSA crank for that tech? Either way, I'm quite happy with SRM so far.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 am

Personally, I could live with sending back a crank to SRM.

I figure you could time it right with some base training or other non-critical work and sub in another PM. Even a second-hand Stages would be ok enough to live with for a month, 105's are going for $400-600 and enough batteries to see you through a month would be like $50 if you pay supermarket rates. Haha!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 am

Yep, I think that's one of the things, isn't it? You can time these things pretty easily. I imagine they don't have as many concerns in the USA or EU, where the winter offseason is a no go for many, so they are just doing weights and skiing anyway.

Touch wood, but it's quite illuminating how much charge is required for a PM, because I'm still on the same battery 6 months later for my HR strap and the cadence sensor 12 months later.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:49 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Xplora wrote:SRM has both the best and the WORST battery solution. We give you ten times the life of any competitor, very little chance of it dying unexpectedly, but you have to send the crank OS to get a battery changed :lol:
some models now have battery rated to 5 years.
other limited models now have user replaceable battery.
5 years is more than long enough. Especially given how owners of some types of power meters seem to have a shop-sized supply of CR2032 batteries for their devices.

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

what about a watch style battery setup thats charged by movement. self charging..... :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 am

scotto wrote:what about a watch style battery setup thats charged by movement. self charging..... :shock:
You mean like a Seiko Kinetic Direct Drive (ie, the watch I'm wearing now)? Hmm - that'd be a brilliant idea. It would add some weight, but it'd be good. As long as the mechanism can stand up to sudden acceleration.

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 pm

My citizen ecodrive has a tiny solar cell that's kept it going for 16years. Any things possible these days

earlybird

Postby earlybird » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Battery replaced 1/9 - I'll see how many hours it lasts for. I have found though that when the bike is in the car, the movement triggers the stages and my garmin displays the calibrate menu.

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 pm

earlybird wrote:Battery replaced 1/9 - I'll see how many hours it lasts for. I have found though that when the bike is in the car, the movement triggers the stages and my garmin displays the calibrate menu.
Excuse my ignorance but how do set the Garmin to automatically display the calibrate menu? I like the sound of that.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm

AKO wrote:
earlybird wrote:Battery replaced 1/9 - I'll see how many hours it lasts for. I have found though that when the bike is in the car, the movement triggers the stages and my garmin displays the calibrate menu.
Excuse my ignorance but how do set the Garmin to automatically display the calibrate menu? I like the sound of that.
YES. THIS. PLEASE TELL. :shock:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 pm

i just bought a pair of Vectors! that's all i have to say about that

earlybird

Postby earlybird » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:33 pm

AKO wrote:
I can't find a setting for it, it just does it. It has done since the lbs set it up (about 4-5 months ago). I did a full factory reset on the garmin 2 weeks ago and never did anything other than turn on the ant+ power setting and ran the detection. I've looked through the menu and can't find anything relevant. I've got an Edge500 with firmware 3.30.

Did a test today and sure enough, with bike strapped inside the car, the power meter woke up after about a kilometre. That's an extra couple of hours a week of wasted battery drain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:55 am

jules21 wrote:i just bought a pair of Vectors! that's all i have to say about that
can you buy me a pair too? :mrgreen:

dale79

Postby dale79 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 am

earlybird wrote:
AKO wrote:
I can't find a setting for it, it just does it. It has done since the lbs set it up (about 4-5 months ago). I did a full factory reset on the garmin 2 weeks ago and never did anything other than turn on the ant+ power setting and ran the detection. I've looked through the menu and can't find anything relevant. I've got an Edge500 with firmware 3.30.

Did a test today and sure enough, with bike strapped inside the car, the power meter woke up after about a kilometre. That's an extra couple of hours a week of wasted battery drain.

yes i noticed this on a trip to qld.. got up there and meter worked. got home and battery flat.. 24 hours of drivig and probably on the whole way

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:21 am

earlybird wrote:
AKO wrote:

No worries. Mine is a 510 and I've never updated the firmware. Might give it a go.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo