Stages Power Meter

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Stages Power Meter

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:31 pm

World's most expensive cranks... cheaper to buy the crank from the UK and then locally source the stages.
Xplora

by BNA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:45 pm

BNA

Postby joomz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:45 pm

I think it's 999 for the dura ace crank arm with stages. Don't think you can buy the little stages pod by itself.

I ordered an ultegra arm from giant bikes in Sydney, $899. Should be in Friday or Monday
joomz

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:06 pm

$1600 for the DuraAce crankset + powermeter combo. 1k seems a bit excessive just for the crank arm but still value for money when looking at powermeters especially if you are into racing/crits/high intensity stuff.

*looks in wallet*

:lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby boss » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:46 am

Got myself an Ultegra-spec Stages for $899 locally from Lifecycles in Adelaide. Put my order in as soon as I heard they were going to be available locally.

Apparently the Australian distro is sold out of stock until after Christmas.

Have done a couple of rides with hard efforts - and I tell you what, looking power numbers (compared with HR, or speed, or anything else) transforms the experience.
boss

Postby skull » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:27 pm

So I thought my new mtb was going to have x9 and I was going to get the stages x9 arm.

Well it comes with x0 which is carbon. So no stages. Now I am not complaining as I ended up getting a higher groupset but what am I gonna do for power.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

Postby Le Mong » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:56 pm

skull wrote:So I thought my new mtb was going to have x9 and I was going to get the stages x9 arm.

Well it comes with x0 which is carbon. So no stages. Now I am not complaining as I ended up getting a higher groupset but what am I gonna do for power.

Powertap or mtb quarq?
Le Mong

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:23 pm

skull wrote: ............................but what am I gonna do for power.

26" or 29" ?

I have a 29er Powertap wheel laced to a Stans Arch rim which I would consider selling ?
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby skull » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:55 pm

26 inch. Can fit 650b which is what will be happening next year

skull

Postby Xplora » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:16 am

You can still put on a Stages arm, but they aren't as pretty because it doesn't match ;)
Xplora

Postby Le Mong » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:

26" or 29" ?

I have a 29er Powertap wheel laced to a Stans Arch rim which I would consider selling ?

$$$???
Le Mong

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Le Mong wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:

26" or 29" ?

$$$???

Good question. I've just finished typing a PM to another member on the exact same subject.

I need a little more time to research as the road SL+ version which has been replaced with the new G3 has dropped from $1400 down to $900. There's apparently an equivalent MTB model which would drop the price dramatically. I paid $1400 (cost not retail) about 18 months ago for the SL MTB model (hub only). The only reason I'd be selling it is because my new bike has a 12mm thru axle. I did see a conversion kit available to go from 9mm QR to 12mm thru, but it seems like a lot of hassle.
ZepinAtor

Postby X-ray » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 am

I installed my Stages this morning. Pretty easy to get it set up, paired and calibrated with the Garmin 500. Took it for a quick test ride and the power readings look to be sensible.

I hope they can get the Android App released sometime soon - I'll had to borrow a friend's iPad to upgrade the firmware. I'm not sure if I even need to since it's possible that it was set up in the factory with the latest firmware. Best to check though.

Can't wait to to an FTP test tomorrow morning! :D
X-ray

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Borrowing a friends iphone 4s (or greater) or iPhone is the way. Some dealers will be set up with these devices to help.
This issue is the low energy blue tooth (from Apple 4S +) and that other phones are not supporting it.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:42 am

where's the eval unit Chris? I'm ready to go :D
jasonc

Postby Roub » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:14 pm

SoI thought this was going to be the golden bullet for me - I want a PM, but on two bikes - Road and HT MTB.

Wheels and cranks not really ideal, so thought about Vectors, but the pedals aren't designed for MTB

Mucked around in the shed this week, a Road crank (105 with Q factor of 147mm) will not provide the 10mm clearance Stages say you need to the chainstay on the MTB. So I would have to use the lowest Q factor Shimano crank in the MTB range to use on two bikes - XTR at $999, and not sure how good it would look on a Road bike and it would be approx. 7mm wider on that side due to increased Q.

Still have to change pedals when swapping bikes too :(
Roub

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 am

I don't really understand the benefits of using a PM on a MTB. The surfaces and conditions are constantly changing and I would think that trying to maintain a certain wattage would be next to impossible. On the road everything is more consistent which would make it better for training and racing.
singlespeedscott

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I don't really understand the benefits of using a PM on a MTB. The surfaces and conditions are constantly changing and I would think that trying to maintain a certain wattage would be next to impossible. On the road everything is more consistent which would make it better for training and racing.

The applied use of power meter data is far broader than what you happen to be doing at any particular instant.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby march83 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:32 am

@Roub: in theory, If your MTB and road bikes are both PF30 and/or BB30 then you could go and buy a compact rotor 3d+ (rotor, srm or p2m). with a 5-bolt 34t ring it can be run 1x9/10/11 on your mtb and with a compact or semi compact set of rings it can be run on your roadie. I have no idea on the Q or the chainstay clearance, but from a BB compatibility standpoint, it works.

because the spindle length of the 3d+ is ridiculously long to allow it to work with BBright, there are spacers on both the DS and the NDS to take up the slack. you can just run smaller spacers to account for the wider mtb BB shell.

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/pdf/3dplus_ ... 2-8-10.pdf
^^ see here for the spacer arrangement - note the 11.5mm spacers used on both sides for installation on a roadie. you would need 9mm of spacing per side for installation on a mtb.

if you run GPX/HT2 external BBs then you could potentially do something similar with the 3d.

@ssscott: it provides everything the road meter does for post ride analysis so it's extremely valuable in that respect. i never use it to pace in races though - alls you can do is alls you can do, so that's not really an issue for me. I don't ever do intervals on my MTB either, so i guess that makes it less valuable than a road meter. but yeah, quality, long term TSS data feeding your performance manager is so useful that it makes it worthwhile to me.
march83

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:00 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I don't really understand the benefits of using a PM on a MTB. The surfaces and conditions are constantly changing and I would think that trying to maintain a certain wattage would be next to impossible. On the road everything is more consistent which would make it better for training and racing.

Huge benefits Scott. You can (& we have) under the coaches instructions completed varying sets of intervals/repeats of a fixed circuit in Ironbark to compare data.

The analysis on the training peaks graph is a little crazy at times, but gives you a very good indication of your overall effort for the session. I've pumped out a couple of TSS scores (.99 & 1.01) a bit similar to what you'd expect in a tough race where you've almost killed yourself.

Another thing I've noticed is when you're "supposed" to be pumping out a hard training session & start descending how quickly the watts drop off. It only takes a couple of gear changes & a bit of push & you're back in the target zone (e.g. tempo session for me between 190w-240w) You can crest a hill at 400w & watch it drop to 140w in 5 seconds on the descent. It teaches you to apply the pressure ALL the time.

On long steady climbs I can watch the numbers & if I stay at 300w or less I can maintain that for long periods (20 minutes+) if I creep over that number & get caught up in the fury I'll blow up.
Last edited by ZepinAtor on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:09 am

oops (quoted myself) delete, delete, abort!
ZepinAtor

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Some frames do have clearance issues however the majority don't.

Power Meters on MTB is the exciting part as it previously hasn't been accessible and for competitive MTBing the implication and value is more obvious. But similar to road cycling, not all cyclists who are interested in Power are competitive, so it is about training and effective riding.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:43 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Some frames do have clearance issues however the majority don't.

Power Meters on MTB is the exciting part as it previously hasn't been accessible and for competitive MTBing the implication and value is more obvious. But similar to road cycling, not all cyclists who are interested in Power are competitive, so it is about training and effective riding.

There have been dedicated MTB power meters for a long time and they have been as accessible as road bike power meters.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Roub » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Yes I should have been clearer - when I say I want a PM for the MTB, I mean the hardtail I used for longer touring and sustained climbing where the data is relevant. I'd not try and make any sense of one on the dually on the singletrack ups and downs, jumps, drops etc

I'm not keen to change cranks completely so its either an XTR Stages crank or Vector pedals I think
Roub

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:There have been dedicated MTB power meters for a long time and they have been as accessible as road bike power meters.

At this price point and with this type of integration with existing running equipment (crank arm replacement only) the power meters are more accessible to a bigger number of mountain bikers.

I do hear you and see that Power is becoming an option for a broader audience with the trend that it is not limited just to top tier.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:57 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:There have been dedicated MTB power meters for a long time and they have been as accessible as road bike power meters.

At this price point and with this type of integration with existing running equipment (crank arm replacement only) the power meters are more accessible to a bigger number of mountain bikers.

I do hear you and see that Power is becoming an option for a broader audience with the trend that it is not limited just to top tier.

I'd say the following is more accurate:
power meters are more accessible to a bigger number of bikers

Power meters have been as accessible and same price to MTB as they have been to roadies (SRM, Powertap, Quarq, Power2Max all have several MTB models). The Stages just maintains the status quo in that regard.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion