Is Channel 9 trying to kill cycling

danny the boy

Re: Is Channel 9 trying to kill cycling

Postby danny the boy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:57 am

jcjordan wrote: Its not the same as SBS TDF coverage. They show the stage live which I agree is in normally filler time like the live showing Olathe TDU but that's where it ends. SBS also showed a highlights package during prime early morning viewing each morning. Also SBS does not use commentators who have no idea about the sport.

Phil Liggett said today he will be commentating and no doubt Sherwen will be with him. Seriously if SBS did this same coverage nobody would complain, this is just a poorly constructed attempt to have a dig at 9.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:05 am

GIVE IT TO FOX SPORTS :twisted: :twisted: Or broadcast it on the Eurosport channel :lol: :lol:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:43 am

One thing people seem to be forgetting is that all this has done is free up SBS to broadcast other cycling events that haven't been shown before.

And I don't get how, for the first time ever, showing a significant chunk of a stage race live every day can possibly be a bad thing for cycling?

In my view, Channel 9 is doing cycling a huge favour by placing the sport on a mainstream commercial network. It is school holidays viewing time, maybe it might inspire a few kids to go ride their bikes.

Does anyone know who is actually producing the video feed? Is it Ch 9 or a independent operator as is typically done in Europe? The ASO do it best. The UCI/Olympic event broadcast subsidiary is of lower standard.

philip

Postby philip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 am

I'm pretty surprised to see this thread - 2 hours of the end of each stage live coverage and highlights later on is pretty good if you ask me. Big improvement from the past. Can't believe people are whinging about the time of the live coverage? That's what time the race is!

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:22 am

philip wrote:I'm pretty surprised to see this thread - 2 hours of the end of each stage live coverage and highlights later on is pretty good if you ask me. Big improvement from the past. Can't believe people are whinging about the time of the live coverage? That's what time the race is!
+1

Seems like a good package to me but people always want to complain.

Early morning packages don't suit a lot of people getting ready for work etc barely catch any of it, prime time 6-7pm LOL heaps of people aren't home from work till half way through that. I would miss most of those times. 9pm would be perfect for ME but probably not others.

Can't please everyone.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:48 pm

While I can see the value of the extra time given to telecasting of the event I sill thing SBS was a better placed to provide coverage.

The loss of the 6pm highlights means that the village atmosphere will be reduced. It was great fun joining everyone for a pre dinner beer watching a round up of the days events.

Also there was the failure to provide decent commentary. Without going to the Phill/Sherwin debate the other interviews were done by numphy who manage to no more then annoy most of the riders with nonsensical questions that did not inform new or old fans. This was again demonstrated during the Cronulla Crits.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:10 pm

jcjordan wrote:While I can see the value of the extra time given to telecasting of the event I sill thing SBS was a better placed to provide coverage.
I actually saw Mike Tomalaris (sp?) interviewed over this last year and he said they weren't worried at all about the loss of it to Ch 9. His reasoning was that there were a heap of cycling events that they can cover and by freeing up the budget used on TDU they can then cover a lot more events (which was evident last season and more so this season). The other upside he saw about it was that Ch 9 would introduce a lot of new viewers to cycling that wouldn't find it on SBS. Those converted would then easily find the SBS coverage of other events hence they felt that the Ch 9 coverage would increase SBS's ratings for the rest of the cycling calendar.

His interview didn't seem at all contrived but rather sincere. I have no idea if it panned out that way but their summer of cycling this season would indicate that it is doing quite well.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 pm

OK Ch 9 defenders - where is the promised live coverage of todays criterium?

Replays of years old cricket matches and antiques roadshow apparently take precedence.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:01 pm

RonK wrote:OK Ch 9 defenders - where is the promised live coverage of todays criterium?

Replays of years old cricket matches and antiques roadshow apparently take precedence.
Have a look at the TDU site.
While you have been whinging about the coverage, it has been streaming on ninemsn.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8492411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 pm

RonK wrote:OK Ch 9 defenders - where is the promised live coverage of todays criterium?

I watched the livestream on the ninemsn.com.au Nice stable feed too

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm

bomber wrote:

I watched the livestream on the ninemsn.com.au Nice stable feed too
Stable except for that hiccup with a few laps to go. Admittedly it was fixed for the finale.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm

This thread fails on every level...

Live coverage in HD? Check (or as much HD as you get on FTA in Australia)
Highlights package/recap every night? Check
Last stages live, pretty much in full? Check

Seriously, I dont understand the whinging. I really dont. Every time a FTA network wants to show a major cycling event, it frees up SBS' cycling budget to bring us more European racing, as we got plenty of last year.
What would you prefer? SBS - because they'll show their highlights at 6pm, but not be able to afford to show what they do now, or Ch 9 with the same commentators, the same coverage, live webstreaming, and HD for most of it, with SBS then showing Paris-Roubaix, Amstel Gold and more of the Giro and Vuelta?

I cant believe a thread whinging about nothing got this far.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 pm

sumgy wrote:

Have a look at the TDU site.
While you have been whinging about the coverage, it has been streaming on ninemsn.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8492411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Streaming,, yes, no doubt works well in the major cities but sucks out here 50km from Newcastle (second biggest city in NSW for interstate folk)
Still, gonna watch the highlights tonight to see how they go (or at least the beginning and record the rest , I have to get up for work at 5.00am to-morrow)

Richard

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Wasn't it advertised on both the Wide World of sports website and TDU site that a delayed replay would be on after the cricket?

Yet wonderful nine show us a crappy replay movie that goes until 11.00pm.

Typical nine.....

As for streaming not everybody lives in the city.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Benz250

Postby Benz250 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm

Revised start time 11:39 well done channel 9, so consistent!

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 pm

And it is a rubbish film anyway......and the cycling will probably be late and,plagued by ad breaks......

I hate you Channel 9 & therefore Eddy Macguire !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 pm

+1

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:14 am

Yup 9 sucks, so 11.39 it is so :(
Happy Days

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 am

Has anyone saw any adds on nine advertising the tdu?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 am

I am in Adelaide so got to see the race but was hopping to watch it again when I got home.

I take it from
James

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 am

(Darn fat finger on my phone)
I am in Adelaide so got to see the race but was hopping to watch it again when I got home.

I take it from the discussion it ran quite bit later than advertised.
James

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 am

Cycling is not a mainstream sport in Australia, it's getting more and more popular but will never reach the popularity of AFL/NRL/Cricket in terms of fan following. Can't see any problem with the way Nine are broadcasting the event for 2013. So long as it's broadcast in the manner in which they have stated.

On GEM (HD) for the final 2 hours of racing LIVE, quite acceptable in my opinion. My only wish is they broadcast the lot on GEM, there is a significant difference in picture quality between Nine(8) and GEM(80). If anyone watched the highlights/replay package last night it looked like footage from the 90's.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 am

It was not
broadcast in the manner in which they have stated
last night. So they are off to a terrific start.

I reckon you would get a better job done if you handed the management of the programming over to a class of year 10 students. Any class.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 am

doggatas wrote:Cycling is not a mainstream sport in Australia, it's getting more and more popular but will never reach the popularity of AFL/NRL/Cricket in terms of fan following. Can't see any problem with the way Nine are broadcasting the event for 2013.

108,000 people gathered around a 1.7km circuit may mean one day mean otherwise... shame about timezones though. SBS always winn the late night ratings in winter
...So long as it's broadcast in the manner in which they have stated.
REALLY?
so the highlights package starts 40minutes late because the cricket fools thought it a bit wet to carry on, and some dreary julia robert crap is put on instead. why not show MORE of the TdU ? own up dogga - you work for Nine right ?

On GEM (HD) for the final 2 hours of racing LIVE, quite acceptable in my opinion. My only wish is they broadcast the lot on GEM, there is a significant difference in picture quality between Nine(8) and GEM(80). If anyone watched the highlights/replay package last night it looked like footage from the 90's.
have to find this GEM channel. damn u foxtell

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 am

doggatas wrote:Cycling is not a mainstream sport in Australia, it's getting more and more popular but will never reach the popularity of AFL/NRL/Cricket in terms of fan following.
You are making excuses. Mainstream or not, SBS could still broadcast the People's Criterium live in prime time.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...