Bike Route Annerley to Nathan

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Bike Route Annerley to Nathan

Postby *Amanda* » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm looking for some advice on which route will be best to get to Griffith Uni (Nathan Campus) from Annerley (near the junction of Annerley Rd and Ponsonby st).
I'll be commuting between 6:30 and 7:30am and returning between 4:30 and 5:30pm. Should I follow Google map's recommendation and follow the Pacific Motorway or is there a better option someone knows of? I ride a hybrid and although I'm happy to ride on quiet streets, I'd like to avoid any busier roads.

Also, does anyone know if this route is fairly flat?

Thanks a lot!
*Amanda*

by BNA » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

BNA

Re: Bike Route Annerley to Nathan

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi there

There is a bike path that runs through Annerley down through the soccer fields near the Greenslopes busway stop and continues out through Tarragindi up the hill near Gaza Rd where, near the top you can turn off the path and make your way through to the uni campus at Nathan.
Let me know if you need a map and I will try to link one for you.
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby elantra » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Lisa has just beat me to be first past the post, but i will put my 20 cents worth in for your benefit :

From Ponsonby St. head south along Annerley Rd as far as the Muddy Farmer Hotel and you will find a pedestrian crossing at the lights to cross Ipswich Rd at the Intersection with Waldheim St.
(be careful of red-light runner trucks and cars here)
Then just cruise down Waldheim St past the school and turn right into View St then right onto Lewisham St (with care !!!!!)
Then a quick left at roundabout where Lewisham becomes Ekibin Rd and almost immediately left into Arnwood Place,
at the end of which is the SouthEast Bikeway which will take you most or all of the way to the Nathan Campus.

But the bikeway is all over the place like a dog's breakfast, the best way to learn more is to ride it, with care.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby *Amanda* » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you very much marinmomma and elantra! I’ve mapped out those routes and will give them a try. Fingers crossed I can navigate the bikeway without too much confusion.
*Amanda*

Postby Big_Red » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm

I did the City to UQ then out to Rochedale after work on christmas eve with my brother, following the path next to the freeway and as Elantra says, the path is a dog's breakfast. To my amazement i found that there is even a Strava start & finish point painted on the path along one section. Take your time with it, it isn't too bad though, better in most places than my commute out towards the bayside along Wynnum Rd...
Big_Red

Return to General discussion