Hospitals are boring

foo on patrol

Re: Hospitals are boring

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

^^ True and I found out very quickly, that I couldn't pull it out myself because I had a go at it, when they wouldn't pull it out when I asked. :oops:

You can't do that Gary because there is a balloon at the end of it. :shock: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:57 pm

My GLW would argue with that Foo, she's seen a few self removals and delighted in telling me of the bloody results and what has to be done afterwards :(

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 pm

I could imagine Shaun and am glad I stopped when it didn't feel right. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Crikey, I'm starting to hope my seat post fails just so I can get this thread out of my mind... :shock:

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Howzat wrote:Crikey, I'm starting to hope my seat post fails just so I can get this thread out of my mind... :shock:
It makes me wonder how many readers are now thinking "gee, those recumbent seats look much gentler around the valuable region..."

I'm sure glad my seats can't fail in this fashion :o

Dent.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 am

So, how is the healing process going Skull, no infections or nastiness like that I hope? :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 am

Mulger bill wrote:My GLW would argue with that Foo, she's seen a few self removals and delighted in telling me of the bloody results and what has to be done afterwards :(

Shaun
Righto, that's it. I'm not coming into this thread anymore.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 pm

^^ :lol: :lol: ^^

Foo
Goal 6000km

skull

Postby skull » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 pm

foo on patrol wrote:So, how is the healing process going Skull, no infections or nastiness like that I hope? :wink:

Foo

Yeah it seems to be coming along fine.

I have cut back on the endone and the pain has been fine.

I am keen to get back to work, in fact I feel like I could go back now with the exception of needing to shower after every time I go to the loo.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

foo on patrol wrote:^^ :lol: :lol: ^^

Foo
Damn you, made me look :P
skull wrote: I am keen to get back to work, in fact I feel like I could go back now with the exception of needing to shower after every time I go to the loo.
I'm glad I had lunch early today. Normally I would have been stuffing my face as I read this. :shock:

Seriously though, good to hear you are progressing well.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 pm

skull wrote: ... exception of needing to shower after every time I go to the loo.
You use the toilets at work??!?!! What is WRONG with you?!

(skull knows what I'm talking about).

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 am

twizzle wrote: You use the toilets at work??!?!! What is WRONG with you?!

(skull knows what I'm talking about).

Sent from my iThingy...
HAHA,

What can I say I am a regular :oops: .

But yeah some peoples toilet cleanliness and hygiene at that place has a lot to be desired :shock:

skull

Postby skull » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Bringing this back up.

Still cannot ride but have finally gone back to work. Anyway as I am missing riding I have started fiddling around with my bike. The wife has gotten some replacement bolts and I have put them on.

During this I decided to look up on line for any torque settings and found this
Seems to be a well-made piece of equipment, but the seat clamp bolt, a SS 7Mx1 socket head cap screw, was inferior and dangerous. It snapped at the head for no apparent reason while riding causing the seat to fall off--almost ended up with a seatpost up my rear end or worse.
Exactly what happened to me, except I did get a post up my rear end and worse. The same thing happened on my other bike but I at least avoided the injury.

Who should I contact about this problem? It is most obviously a design fault.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

skull wrote:Bringing this back up.

Still cannot ride but have finally gone back to work. Anyway as I am missing riding I have started fiddling around with my bike. The wife has gotten some replacement bolts and I have put them on.

During this I decided to look up on line for any torque settings and found this
Seems to be a well-made piece of equipment, but the seat clamp bolt, a SS 7Mx1 socket head cap screw, was inferior and dangerous. It snapped at the head for no apparent reason while riding causing the seat to fall off--almost ended up with a seatpost up my rear end or worse.
Exactly what happened to me, except I did get a post up my rear end and worse. The same thing happened on my other bike but I at least avoided the injury.

Who should I contact about this problem? It is most obviously a design fault.
Contact the manufacturer, cc the consumer protection body in your state. If it's a good company, they'll apologise and try to make amends. If they only give you grief, or you're not satisfied, use the net. I suspect they'll play nicely. I've heard of lots of product recalls based on problems like yours. From what you've posted here there have been a few instances of clamp failure. If they haven't already done so, they should be issuing a recall.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 pm

http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content ... afeProduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although FSA don't seem to publish an e-mail site, you may be able to get their attention through the link below:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/techdoc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Forget email, post your post and bum pics here...
https://www.facebook.com/Fullspeedahead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 pm

skull wrote:So currently lying here in a consulting room with a bunch of gauze and gel up my bum.

Had a mishap on my ride this morning and tore my ring hole. Waiting to hear back from the surgeon as to whether I have damaged the rectum muscle as well. If so I will be going in for surgery, if not they will just stitch me up.

The drugs are good.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
many years ago I had to have a sigmoidoscope examination, and I unwisely rode my bike to the doctor's rooms. Fine on the way there, but I had to stand up on the pedals all the way home............

yes, I know it was a dumb thing to do.

take my advice: don't ride home after the surgery.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 pm

You have endured a few laughs here to accompany you on recovery, but thanks for sharing and hope that you can continue a good recovery.
Cycling is in my BNA

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 pm

I am getting back on the bike next week

YAY

Have seemed to have healed reasonably well. I managed to do some runs and gym work to stop me going mental.

The next few weeks I will just do easy rides to get comfortable again as the area is still a bit tender and fragile. After that I need to get cracking as I am 1700km behind my marker to reach my 15K goal for this year.

I won't let this stop me from getting there.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Did you replace the post's bolts or just buy another post? If you bought a new post, which one?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:23 pm

skull wrote:I am getting back on the bike next week

YAY

Have seemed to have healed reasonably well. I managed to do some runs and gym work to stop me going mental.

The next few weeks I will just do easy rides to get comfortable again as the area is still a bit tender and fragile. After that I need to get cracking as I am 1700km behind my marker to reach my 15K goal for this year.

Great to hear some good news.

Let me help you with the maths. 15K per year is about 1250 km per month, and you've been off it for
about a month now. I'm hoping you're thinking you'll only get 50% of the planned km in over the next
month, and added that into your 1700 km behind figure.

If you do just 50% of Plan A this month, it will leave you needing to put in about 1450 km per month
for the rest of the year - maybe 13% more than you'd planned. Might even be worth thinking about
pedaling a bit less over the next month - you could still make it up, and could help avoid re-injury
risks.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm

skull wrote:I am getting back on the bike next week

YAY

Take it easy and go slowly to start with. Good that you are getting better. :)

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 am

You are a braver man than me... I tore a quad in a bike accident - but I dont know how excited I'd be to climb straight back on if I'd had an injury as horrific as this. I read this thread when it started and it still makes my eyes water now.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Not in hospital (yet), but being home and incapacitated is pretty boring too :(

Saturday before last I was riding down Killala Rd into Apollo Bay (a delightful road to ride), after crossing the Otways and coming down the delightful Old Bay Road. I was riding with two friends. I had had just stopped an taken a few photos, then caught up to them when they waited for a mob of sheep, and I went on ahead a bit. I came over a short rise, then was rolling downhill at about 25-30 kmh. I saw a roadside apple tree and began to brake to see whether the apples were ripe........................................

That's about all I recall, apart from a feeling of gravel on my arm and side.

I was roused by my friends, and stood up quick, but the shoulder felt sore when I grabbed the bike. They made me sit down again as I'd been out cold for 1-2 minutes. They rounded a corner to find me spread-eagled across the road. It seems that my front tyre must have slid sideways on some loose gravel as I was braking to slow. It truly puzzles me as the road was a good gravel surface and I did not do anything too radical. I went down very quick and hard - knocked out, busted helmet.

A helpful local drove me and the bike to Apollo Bay hospital.

Up-shot of it all - I have a broken collar-bone, and I suspect a cracked rib as well. The collar-bone is an overlapped break with 3cms of fore-shortening, so it seems an orthopedic surgeon's advice is needed. I see one on Friday, then it may be surgery. In the meantime I am surviving on a steady diet of paracetamol and ibuprofen :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 pm

il padrone wrote:Not in hospital (yet), but being home and incapacitated is pretty boring too :(

Saturday before last I was riding down Killala Rd into Apollo Bay (a delightful road to ride), after crossing the Otways and coming down the delightful Old Bay Road. I was riding with two friends. I had had just stopped an taken a few photos, then caught up to them when they waited for a mob of sheep, and I went on ahead a bit. I came over a short rise, then was rolling downhill at about 25-30 kmh. I saw a roadside apple tree and began to brake to see whether the apples were ripe........................................

That's about all I recall, apart from a feeling of gravel on my arm and side.

I was roused by my friends, and stood up quick, but the shoulder felt sore when I grabbed the bike. They made me sit down again as I'd been out cold for 1-2 minutes. They rounded a corner to find me spread-eagled across the road. It seems that my front tyre must have slid sideways on some loose gravel as I was braking to slow. It truly puzzles me as the road was a good gravel surface and I did not do anything too radical. I went down very quick and hard - knocked out, busted helmet.

A helpful local drove me and the bike to Apollo Bay hospital.

Up-shot of it all - I have a broken collar-bone, and I suspect a cracked rib as well. The collar-bone is an overlapped break with 3cms of fore-shortening, so it seems an orthopedic surgeon's advice is needed. I see one on Friday, then it may be surgery. In the meantime I am surviving on a steady diet of paracetamol and ibuprofen :(

Wow, heavy! Hope you get better soon.

Bloody apples...