capsual coffee machines road test

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: capsual coffee machines road test

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Ozkaban wrote:

After having been to America last year and trying a few places to get a decent coffee, I come to the conclusion that Americans think coffee tastes like something else. All the coffees I tried were so so bad, and in most cases didn't even taste like coffee which I don't even know how that's possible.

I've been reading the Patrick OBrian novels - the master and commander series. At one point the two intrepid English hero's are captives in America. Even they complain most bitterly about the weak, watery substance the Americans call coffee...


I know - been there myself up to Bellevue outside of Seattle in the reasonable comfort of the Hilton. The downstairs staff in the coffee place needed an explanation of what a double espresso was. The rooms had machines with Lavazza pods. Not great, but better than the conference coffee in those huge boilers. (Yuck).

You noticed the Europeans there and the Aussies walking down to the conference sessions with the coffee from their rooms... Without exception. :oops:
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3827
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

by BNA » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 am

BNA
 

Re: capsual coffee machines road test

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 am

ozstriker wrote:All the coffees I tried were so so bad, and in most cases didn't even taste like coffee which I don't even know how that's possible.


See my previous post regarding the composition of International Roast.
I believe that in the US they use mud from New Yorks East River...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25552
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: capsual coffee machines road test

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am

Possibly from the Hudson - ground up aeroplane dissolved in a cup - YUMMY
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Image
Cruiserman
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Re: capsual coffee machines road test

Postby herzog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:48 am

The other place with dreadful coffee is Japan.

Who ever thought that coffee would come out of vending machines in little cans, bearing brand names such as "Depresso" and "Black BOSS"?

Great for the novelty value, but taste wise absolutely dreadful.

To be fair though, traditionally, they are a tea drinking society as is the case in most of Asia, and they do that well.

The green-tea flavored Haagen daas is pretty choice!
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: capsual coffee machines road test

Postby Jean » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 am

Ozkaban wrote:After having been to America last year and trying a few places to get a decent coffee, I come to the conclusion that Americans think coffee tastes like something else. All the coffees I tried were so so bad, and in most cases didn't even taste like coffee which I don't even know how that's possible.


It's no better north of the border, the coffee in Canada is indistinguishable from the American approach. The Brits don't deserve any kudos either, in my experience it takes some hunting to find decent coffee in London, though it can be done.

We're very lucky to have had large scale Italian migration before Starbucks got to us, or we'd be stuffed too probably. :D

Ozkaban wrote:I've been reading the Patrick OBrian novels - the master and commander series. At one point the two intrepid English hero's are captives in America. Even they complain most bitterly about the weak, watery substance the Americans call coffee...


Hooray for Patrick O'Brien. The only scene from the 1998 film Godzilla that has stuck in my mind is Jean Reno's (French) character's quest to find a decent cup of coffee in New York. Still makes me smile.
Last edited by Jean on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jean
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Canberra

Re: capsual coffee machines road test

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 am

OOooo. Timely.

Here's a new option...
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: capsual coffee machines road test

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 pm

herzog wrote:The other place with dreadful coffee is Japan.

Who ever thought that coffee would come out of vending machines in little cans, bearing brand names such as "Depresso" and "Black BOSS"?

Great for the novelty value, but taste wise absolutely dreadful.

To be fair though, traditionally, they are a tea drinking society as is the case in most of Asia, and they do that well.

The green-tea flavored Haagen daas is pretty choice!


Japan basically follows American culture in that regard. As a school kid in Tokyo I did love the coffee in cans because in the middle of winter in the snow, nothing warms your frozen hands like a scorching hot can full of coffee straight out of the vending machine on the platform :-)
Love the name "depresso"! They used to have an energy drink called "Mucos", and yes...that is what it looked like!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2750
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Previous

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: greatapoc



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter