Holy showtime Batman - Lance to admit doping?

LM324

Re: Holy showtime Batman - Lance to admit doping?

Postby LM324 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Haha look what I found. Bingo for the interview
(sorry not sure how to resize it...) Sort of fixed...
Last edited by Mulger bill on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Image resized

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:41 am

fatdudeonabike wrote: I like the disclaimer about the possibility of dead heat rules applying on the question of whether he'll admit doping...
Not quite sure how that can end in a dead heat...
You forgot the most common defences of scoundrels...

I'm not saying it did happen, I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just can't recall

Maybe that count's as a dead heat ?

Another possibility : he's had this long-standing mental illness on account of his difficult childhood,
and there's actually two Lances' in there. One of them admits to drug-taking, but the other bloke
(who appeared before the court and denied doping) does not admit to drug-taking.

Pretty sure the bookies would have to rank that as a dead-heat.

And it's why we need to see him in front of Dr Phil rather than Oprah - so that Lance can get the
help we all know he sadly needs.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 am

Armstrong will struggle to come up with a wilder story than "my foreign blood population came from my dead twin that I absorbed in utero".

But he is a competitor & I am sure he will find a way

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 pm

On the interview and no appearance fees, if Oprah's team specifically reports it then it is probably true though we are also used to spin so it is possible that financial contributions could still be made to organisations or groups that indirectly benefit Armstrong.

On the betting, it would be interesting seeing the odds for standing ovations (though I understand it is a private interview and there is no audience). Also, how often these words are used: hero, survivor, inspiration, believe, chance. Even this set; fooled, cheated, manipulated, misled, lied.

Also, the chances that Oprah endorses Armstrong (whatever the outcome) and believes in him.
Cycling is in my BNA

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:17 pm

AUbicycles wrote:On the betting, it would be interesting seeing the odds for standing ovations (though I understand it is a private interview and there is no audience). Also, how often these words are used: hero, survivor, inspiration, believe, chance.
You forgot miracle! You can't forget miracle!
Thats a perfectly justifiable way to justify beating a field full of drug cheats when you're clean!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:47 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:On the betting, it would be interesting seeing the odds for standing ovations (though I understand it is a private interview and there is no audience). Also, how often these words are used: hero, survivor, inspiration, believe, chance.
You forgot miracle! You can't forget miracle!
Thats a perfectly justifiable way to justify beating a field full of drug cheats when you're clean!
And witch hunt.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm still finding it difficult to get my head around why LA would agree to a so called no holds barred interview, as I simply can’t see what he could possibly gain by doing it.

In fact if he is arrogant enough to try and justify using PED’s throughout his cycling career, all I can see is more court action by those that believe he gained money from them under false pretences.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 pm

I think the idea is he has a cry, comes clean on his own terms and then works towards being allowed to compete in certain events.

It really must be killing him that he can not compete, check all the training he is doing on Strava. I follow him on Strava and he is smashing himself on the bike and running.

Only follow him for a hoot, some of the comments are too funny, and I think it is disgusting what he did.

JM

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 pm

While we are all taking at face value that Lance's desire is to be able to compete at a high level there is another likely purpose.

Some many years back he discussed more than once the possibility of entering politics. It is likely that Lance is being less than honest in his stated reasons.

Shock! Horror! Telling a fib? Never.

If that is his real intent then it would not be a good look to state it as such. Dressing up the attempt in the form it is being peddled reduces the chance of someone suggesting publicly that it is all an attempt at being let in from the cold as a first step towards politics.

(Notwithstanding his more recent denials of interest in political office.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I'm still finding it difficult to get my head around why LA would agree to a so called no holds barred interview, as I simply can’t see what he could possibly gain by doing it.
Don't worry about it, with the media beat up we will all come out.... unsatisfied and disappointed.
Cycling is in my BNA

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 am

Interesting article in Velo News about how Lance might get away with it....
A combination of good lawyers and the various statutes of limitation.
Worth a read!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:44 pm

According to this, he is going to admit to doping...

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/sto ... eport-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Armstrong met with USADA officials recently to explore a "pathway to redemption,"
:roll: :roll:

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Aired the same time as in the US ,midday on Friday, on the Discovery Channel.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Mustang wrote:Aired the same time as in the US ,midday on Friday, on the Discovery Channel.
Thanks heaps for sharing that! I never, ever watch Discovery, I never would've found that.

Have to work... but nice to have it IQ'd rather than have to source it on the internet.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I'm still finding it difficult to get my head around why LA would agree to a so called no holds barred interview, as I simply can’t see what he could possibly gain by doing it.
It's pretty obvious all along.
1) Oprah and similar interviews have always been associated with the term "no holds barred". It's marketing. How else are they going to call it? "Some topics off limit interview"?
2) LA is not stupid to get a David Letterman midnight interview. Much better with Oprah.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 pm

I have published an opinion piece on BNA - raises a few points not discussed here.

Will you be able to forgive Lance Armstrong?
Cycling is in my BNA

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I have published an opinion piece on BNA - raises a few points not discussed here.

Will you be able to forgive Lance Armstrong?
A great article.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks - I was hoping to keep it at under 30 minutes but instead it crept up to 3 hours 30 minutes to write.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 am

Oprah: (Armstrong) didn't come clean the way I expected.

She used the words 'mesmerized' and 'riveted' to describe it....

More of the PR to further elevate this story of interest or fact?
Cycling is in my BNA

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 am

Oprah gets what she wants/needs....more viewers to her struggling TV channel

Lance tries to get what he wants/needs...forgiveness and an opportunity to continue competing in whatever sport he chooses

Seriously, I personally hope he goes to jail for it. Given how he has attacked people over the years who have raised such things, the way he has denied it...he needs to go to jail. Just my viewpoint.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 am

Sort of interested in what he has to say (just having read Tyler Hamiltons book).

However, unless it's a full on admission like that, it won't be worth a damn in my mind.

Given his skills and advice, it will be a Clinton type confession, so not worth a pinch of the proverbial imho.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm

I have thinking about the media buildup around the Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky scandal a bit as this builds up and wouldn't be suprised if it fizzles out like that - however Clinton (Bill) was able to redeem himself in the public eye and is very much admired despite wrong-doings. Armstrong certainly wants a piece of that.

In cycling, Eric Zabel did well for himself after his confession, Jan Ullrich didn't. Contador had done well-enough for himself and I havn't heard from the guy who did a blood transfusion with dogs blood again, so he probably didn't do well.
Cycling is in my BNA

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I have thinking about the media buildup around the Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky scandal a bit as this builds up and wouldn't be suprised if it fizzles out like that - however Clinton (Bill) was able to redeem himself in the public eye and is very much admired despite wrong-doings. Armstrong certainly wants a piece of that.
Their sins are poles apart, and Joe Public understood it was a witch-hunt against Clinton, a side-show, which is why his approvals went up. Armstrong's sins are inextricably tied to what made him, and that is why it will break him.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 pm

I wonder if he'll update his Strava page:

"According to my rivals, peers, and teammates I won the Tour de France 7 times."

http://app.strava.com/athletes/125154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;