Best earphones for cycling?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Best earphones for cycling?

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for the comments.

Mictra, yes worth starting out and simplifying - hold onto the EYE OF THE TIGER for when you are confident and then you will be ahead of the rest.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:05 am

BNA

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:05 am

find_bruce wrote:Nothing illegal about headphones, but the new mobile phone laws apply to vehicles (which include bicycles) and drivers (which include riders) - eg see NSW Road Rules rule 300.

What this means is that in a strict legal sense you are not permitted to use a phone to make a phone call or listen to music unless

(1) the phone is secured to the vehicle OR

(2) the driver doesn't touch the phone itself.

IMO this rule makes no sense- using an ipod touch to play angry birds is legal but music played from an iPhone is in your pocket may be illegal (eg adjusting the volume from the phone, not the headset).

I could go on (& on & on) but you get the idea.

As for the use of headphones, I don't consider it a safety problem, but I know others do.

In the US. some states have a "driving distracted" law that covers all of these scenarios. It avoids the specific technologies involved and targets the behaviour that's dangerous.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:11 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:In the US. some states have a "driving distracted" law that covers all of these scenarios. It avoids the specific technologies involved and targets the behaviour that's dangerous.

So I hope that makes it illegal to drive with the stereo sound system on :?: :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby clackers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:23 pm

il padrone wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:In the US. some states have a "driving distracted" law that covers all of these scenarios. It avoids the specific technologies involved and targets the behaviour that's dangerous.

Or talking to passengers, changing radio stations, doing Facebook updates with one hand, etc. :-)
clackers

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:01 pm

There is a blanket charge that Police can apply here too - driving without due care and attention.

But the phone specific laws raise some interesting questions. A driver cannot touch a phone while driving, and earbuds do not satisfy the definition of handsfree. So if this law applies to cyclists, you cannot touch a phone mounted on the handlebars, and wearing earbuds may be questionable too.

Back to the original question - if you are prepared to pay the price premium, these Jaybird Bluebuds might be the answer. I'm tempted.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:41 pm

clackers wrote:
il padrone wrote:

Or talking to passengers, changing radio stations, doing Facebook updates with one hand, etc. :-)

Yes! IIRC, there was one driver charged with it due to yelling at their kids in the back seat.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm

RonK wrote:

There is a blanket charge that Police can apply here too - driving without due care and attention.

But the phone specific laws raise some interesting questions. A driver cannot touch a phone while driving, and earbuds do not satisfy the definition of handsfree. So if this law applies to cyclists,

It does. Legally all bicycles are vehicles and the laws applying to drivers of vehicles under the road rules 2009 apply to cyclists also.

Another reason to have a dedicated GPS rather than the Iphone/Android accessory - legally you cannot touch it while riding (driving).
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Captainfluoro » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:48 pm

So glad there's a topic for this. I've tried, discarded and broken so many headphones (bluetooth and corded) while cycling!
My biggest issue is the wind noise that the device itself creates. A couple have mentioned it, in this thread, but it's never featured in reviews of devices. Most sports reviewers are only runners.
I notice that my own ears create a lot of whistle that only goes with my head turned. Is there something that can shroud this, and actually improve my road perception?
Captainfluoro

Previous

Return to General discussion