Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 am

Only on the roadie and only for longer rides, say 80km+. I prefer my bum comfort to come from form fitting leather.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 am

Well, basically it is always Ground Effect 'Lycra' shorts on anything except a trip down to the shops. I find modern 'touring' shorts most uncomfortable.
However, no body hugging stretch tops for me! I stick to the looser MTB styles without logos.
Cheers
Richard

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:43 am

Nobody wrote:It is.
is not :P
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 am

Nobody wrote:Plenty of people wear plain clothing that don't have to be the fastest.
That would not be you though would it :wink:
Nobody wrote:Also every day of the year is CCR. You don't have to be going to work.
:P

Nobody likes a smartarse I know, well except for you Nobody, that is :oops: :lol:

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 am

if i'm doing the weekend warrior/lone wolf thing, then lycra (the stretchy stuff, don't get too pedantic about it).
if i'm riding to the shops for milk, then whatever i'm wearing will do.
the biggest issue i have at the moment is pedals. i'd like some LOOK compatible flats, so i can ride wearing joggers or clipless.
that, and being asked to pop into woolies on my way home from a group/lone wolf ride. full kit and clipless pedals wandering around the aisles looking for 'those things with the sticky bits that we saw at lisa's last week' isn't cool.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 am

munga wrote:the biggest issue i have at the moment is pedals. i'd like some LOOK compatible flats, so i can ride wearing joggers or clipless.
S. P. D.

:wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:08 am

To me Lycra is as big a turn off as helmets to new cyclists. Are we going to get into shaving legs as well. :lol: What's the number 5 rule HTFU. :lol:
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am

i wear plain clothing when commuting and lycra when i am doing a training ride (anything over 40km i will usually wear lycra). best part of plain clothes is overtaking someone on a high end bike with lycra when you are in shorts and a t-shirt!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am

outnabike wrote:To me Lycra is as big a turn off as helmets to new cyclists.
You need some time and distance.

Time - to meet more cyclists and discover why they wear such clothing.

Distance - doing longer kilometres you will really feel the need for lycra.
Mandatory helmet law?

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am

outnabike wrote:To me Lycra is as big a turn off as helmets to new cyclists. Are we going to get into shaving legs as well. :lol: What's the number 5 rule HTFU. :lol:
indeed HTFU and shave those legs!
or, better yet, wax them!

Always wear bibs. If it's with the kids then I'll be on the MTB and wear normal shorts over the top.

My bum thanks me for it.
2010 BMC SLC01

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mrfenejeans wrote:I never considered "Not wearing" lycra as an option :P
It's not.
And we wonder why cyclists can sometimes have an image problem. :roll:
outnabike wrote:To me Lycra is as big a turn off as helmets to new cyclists. Are we going to get into shaving legs as well. :lol: What's the number 5 rule HTFU. :lol:
Exactly. Most people if they aren't into cycling see Lycra as a discouraging factor. Many people I know who ARE into cycling still see Lycra as a turn off and have trouble understanding and relating to the Lycra clad variety. There is nothing wrong with Lycra. But recognise that its role in Australian cycling is much more than just comfort. It is a tribal uniform. By wearing Lycra you are joining the tribe of the Lycra clad. By doing so you get all the benefits of a tribe. But you also get stereotyped by doing so.

Last Tuesday I went for a morning ride with a friend. Before she came over I asked what she would be wearing. She said Lycra so therefore I joined her. If she wasn't wearing lycra I would have just worn a t-shirt, knicks and boardies which are just as comfortable but without having the 'look'. But as it happened we were both Lycra clad riders riding down beach road. We even had breakfast at Brown Cow Cafe. Sometimes even I love being a 'Lycra Clad Roadie' :wink: 8) )

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:01 pm

hands up all those who wear lycra kit into supermarkets...

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Given my commute is a minimum of 90k's return...lycra is the best thing to ride in..for me anyways.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:05 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:Plenty of people wear plain clothing that don't have to be the fastest.
That would not be you though would it :wink:
Nobody wrote:Also every day of the year is CCR. You don't have to be going to work.
Just because I said that doesn't mean I have to be the fastest. Otherwise I'd dress like you, own a aero road bike, suck wheels in groups and have a StravaKing sig like yours. :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm

winstonw wrote:hands up all those who wear lycra kit into supermarkets...
Not a supermarket but all the time in servos and bakeries. I've walked though Chermside Westfield kitted out to top up my gocard because the machine outside was out of order lol.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm

il padrone wrote:
You need some time and distance..
Time? Most dutch spend all their life on their bikes and many have never worn Lycra.
Distance? Most seats on road bikes these days are designed on the assumption that knicks are worn. Getting a proper seat will mostly fix things. I've been riding on reasonably long rides for most of my life. It was only when I combined a hard roadie seat with a 100km ride that I encountered any sort of soreness, even then it was minor. I went out an bought my first pair before doing the ATB (210km). Sure I find Lycra more comfortable. But I also find it a turn off for myself and others.
george-bob wrote:i wear plain clothing when commuting and lycra when i am doing a training ride (anything over 40km i will usually wear lycra). best part of plain clothes is overtaking someone on a high end bike with lycra when you are in shorts and a t-shirt!
My brother used to say the same thing, particularly when he has never called himself a "cyclist"! Being overtaken by board shorts, t-shirt and an 80s road bike equals ultimate shame to a Lycra clad on a $5000 roadie. :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 pm

human909 wrote:Before she came over I asked what she would be wearing. She said Lycra so therefore I joined her. If she wasn't wearing lycra I would have just worn a t-shirt, knicks and boardies which are just as comfortable but without having the 'look'
Funny thing to do! I would never do this - I just wear whatever I feel will be most comfortable or suitable for the ride circumstances. Sometimes it is lycra and road jersey, other times it is a t-shirt and baggy touring shorts, and other times it may be the tweed jacket, shirt collar and plus-fours.

My decision, I don't much care what others are wearing (well the tweed and plus-fours is usually for a specific tweed or retro ride).
Mandatory helmet law?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 pm

human909 wrote:
george-bob wrote:i wear plain clothing when commuting and lycra when i am doing a training ride (anything over 40km i will usually wear lycra). best part of plain clothes is overtaking someone on a high end bike with lycra when you are in shorts and a t-shirt!
My brother used to say the same thing, particularly when he has never called himself a "cyclist"! Being overtaken by board shorts, t-shirt and an 80s road bike equals ultimate shame to a Lycra clad on a $5000 roadie. :lol:
Feels even better when that same person that over took you wearing shorts and a shirt 10-15 minutes ago on that bumpy shared pathway is suddenly left eating your dust as you fly past doing 50kph on the cycleway just as the 80km distance mark clicks over on the GPS screen. Or as soon as a hill appears as is usually the case.

In the end who cares what you wear when riding a bike. If you care so much about random people who you don't even know that wearing lycra is bad or wearing plain clothes on a roadie then that's just your problem to deal with.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm

il padrone wrote:
human909 wrote:Before she came over I asked what she would be wearing. She said Lycra so therefore I joined her. If she wasn't wearing lycra I would have just worn a t-shirt, knicks and boardies which are just as comfortable but without having the 'look'
Funny thing to do! I would never do this - I just wear whatever I feel will be most comfortable or suitable for the ride circumstances. Sometimes it is lycra and road jersey, other times it is a t-shirt and baggy touring shorts, and other times it may be the tweed jacket, shirt collar and plus-fours.

My decision, I don't much care what others are wearing (well the tweed and plus-fours is usually for a specific tweed or retro ride).
:D (No offense taken, but I'll explain myself regardless. :wink: )

I wouldn't think that is a funny thing to do. Wearing clothes appropriate to the situation and social company is a VERY normal thing to do in society. I wear suits to formal situations and boardies and a t-shirt to casual bbqs. Since I REALLY don't care what I wear (shorts or just nicks) I left the decision to her! Similarly if I am going for a Warburton trail ride with friends on hybrids I wouldn't wear my Lycra. If I was riding only 15kms then no way would I bother wearing Lycra. If I was on my own then even on long rides I would wear boardies over the top of nicks. It gives more social flexibility should I decide to stop somewhere (eg a winery or a friends house).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Nobody wrote:Just because I said that doesn't mean I have to be the fastest. Otherwise I'd dress like you, own a aero road bike, suck wheels in groups and have a StravaKing sig like yours. :P
Don't forget pop out of the slip stream just before the end of the segment. First and only time the front wheel is in the wind for the whole section. :oops:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Not a supermarket but all the time in servos and bakeries. I've walked though Chermside Westfield kitted out to top up my gocard because the machine outside was out of order lol.
Wow, Chermside Shops is brave. I do the local Woolies or IGA on the way home from a ride. There's a gym above the IGA so there's always people in there post workout around 6pm, wearing lycra and other skimpy revealing gym clothing. Occasionally I get an odd look at Nundah Woolies, which is on the way home from the criterium track. Though I reckon the clothes some heavier women wear are more offensive. :shock:

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm

human909 wrote:There is nothing wrong with Lycra. But recognise that its role in Australian cycling is much more than just comfort. It is a tribal uniform. By wearing Lycra you are joining the tribe of the Lycra clad. By doing so you get all the benefits of a tribe. But you also get stereotyped by doing so.
All clothing is part of a tribal uniform. I would argue that by wearing lyc^K^K^Kcycle specific clothing the problem is that you are not conforming the dominant tribal norms - small petty minded humans that we are.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:34 pm

il padrone wrote:
You need some time and distance.

Time - to meet more cyclists and discover why they wear such clothing.

Distance - doing longer kilometres you will really feel the need for lycra.
Hi il padrone, well said,
I think that is about as sensible an answer that you could write. Of course , how could any one criticise Lycra with out trying it first.
I can see the benefits on longer rides for sure. And the mileage comfort factor would certainly come into it.
I think my first trial would be a cop out with shorts over though! :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm

I do. During the festive 500 I did a couple of 100km+ rides were I went into Fremantle coles wearing "lycra" for choc milk & water. I got some "looks" which was entertaining. I wore the same gear into Jandakot spud shed and didn't get any "looks".
<removed by request>