Sometimes
9%
Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
Summernight

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Cycle specific clothing, yes, I ride in it, although I'm not sure whether it actually looks cycling specific to other people. I sweat too much to wear work clothes on the commute, even though it is only 5kms each way. And I'm not a fan of wearing advertising and so didn't want to buy any branded cycling gear like team kit.

I tried cycling in my running clothes but that didn't really work as I run in them too in the mornings and I can't ride in already sweaty clothes after having a shower, not to mention that doing so caused irritation. So the next best option was to buy cycle specific clothing. I didn't want to wear only the knicks as I didn't want my thighs and behind on display so I searched the internet and found some fantastic cycling skirts (skorts to be precise) which I now wear on all my rides. Another reason I bought cycle specific gear is because my previous unisex saddle was really hurting and until I bit the bullet and bought a women's specific saddle I needed the extra padding to try and reduce the pain. And the jersey pockets are just plain useful. :)

If I hadn't found those pieces of women-specific cycling clothing I probably would have bought more running gear and used that, which is the same material as the cycling stuff anyway. :)

LarryLong

Postby LarryLong » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm in the never camp. No big religious reasons here, I just haven't felt the need to buy any yet. I only do small training rides (usually around 20km, my longest ride was 40km) and I'm not training for anything other than fitness. Boardies and a t-shirt (and maybe a thermal top in winter) does the job for me, and I've never had big problems with chafing or soreness. I figure I can save the money and just use any old clothes until I find myself in a situation where I need to fork out for lycra.

As for the tribal for and against stuff, that's all a bit weird.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 pm

il padrone wrote:I don't know that so many people really use Google for this sort of useful purpose. Most seem to just use the net to get Fox Sports.
Therefore, a little pathetic.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Marx wrote:I always wear socks. I can’t understand how not wearing socks in cleated shoes can be a positive?
You do?

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12#p907612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:01 pm

simonn wrote:
il padrone wrote: If they see nothing but road riders wearing cycle clothing then they are likely to expect that this is necessary for a commute ride (eg. from out my way - Mitcham to the city).
Thus they are ignorant, unimaginative, or correct. Certainly not self starters in the first two cases and wrong in the second. Ergo, a little pathetic.

EDIT: And for the record, I am not saying that everyone who does not cycle is pathetic. Just if they do il padrone's quote above.
il padrone wrote: They could also get such information from their LBS, from talking to friend/colleagues who do ride etc. Will they say "Just riude in your work clothes", or "You really need lycra"? This will all depend on their culture.
Or they could use the device they probably have in their pocket or glued to their ear, which has an order of magnitude more computing power than was used to put men on the moon and return them to earth safely and connects them to most other humans in the world, to cast off the veil of ignorance they have and find out.

In a world with the internet, it is a choice to remain ignorant.
+1
And very well articulated.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Pretty much always with the only exception being a ride to the shops on my shopping bike.

I am wondering today exactly why i bother wearing knicks, yes they're the most comfortable option but i had a bit of a tumble and not for the first time the result is very minor damage to the knicks but melted skin underneath. Is there something around with better protection?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Dainese DH shorts ??

Mandatory helmet law?

newie

Postby newie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm

I don't really understand the point that those of you who are arguing that people are put off cycling by seeing other people in lycra are trying to make. (I am not sure I agree with the premise, but let's run with it for the sake of argument). What exactly are you suggesting should change? Nearly all of us lycra wearers do so because it is more comfortable. Just because some of you are comfortable cycling in non cycling-specific clothes does not mean other people will be. We all have different body shapes, pedaling actions, skin sensitivities, sweat rates and so on. Sure, I do not *need* to wear lycra when I am doing my short commute (10 km each way) but it is more comfortable than anything else I own. Are you proposing that I should be choosing a slightly less comfortable option in order to encourage non-cyclists to take up cycling? If not that, then what? What do you want people to do differently to change this so-called lycra culture that you believe is proving to be a barrier to people cycling?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:14 pm

newie wrote:Are you proposing that I should be choosing a slightly less comfortable option in order to encourage non-cyclists to take up cycling? If not that, then what? What do you want people to do differently to change this so-called lycra culture that you believe is proving to be a barrier to people cycling?
Eagerly anticipating a direct answer to your question.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm

warthog1 wrote:
newie wrote:Are you proposing that I should be choosing a slightly less comfortable option in order to encourage non-cyclists to take up cycling? If not that, then what? What do you want people to do differently to change this so-called lycra culture that you believe is proving to be a barrier to people cycling?
Eagerly anticipating a direct answer to your question.
No one here is proposing that. There is no request to change. This discussion arose because some people brought up that Lycra and the image of Lycra cycling does put off some people from cycling. Continued discussion occurred because some people denied this reality.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:43 pm

That's about as direct as I expected.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:44 pm

newie wrote:Sure, I do not *need* to wear lycra when I am doing my short commute (10 km each way) but it is more comfortable than anything else I own.
I don't wear lycra on my 10km commute. Essentially forced on me by the lack of any facilities, but now that I'm doing it, and have been for over seven years now, I think I wouldn't do the change routine even if I had facilities. For this distance I save time by wearing work clothes (I do change the shoes... and do a wipe down/sparrow bath). I have chosen clothing that is bike-wearable and suitable for my workplace. I personally find it quite comfortable.
Do what suits you. But consider other options. Suggest to non-cycling friends that they could ride the bike to the shops, pub, station or friends places for short (<5kms) trips and point out that they don't need to wear lycra.

Ride your own bike for shorter trips and skip the specific cycle-clothing. You may be surprised how easy and convenient it is.
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 pm

human909 wrote:This discussion arose because some people brought up that Lycra and the image of Lycra cycling does put off some people from cycling. Continued discussion occurred because some people denied this reality.
Well actually, it arose because you continue to push your personal bias, which is plain to see not only in this thread but also several other threads where you make your disdain for those who wear lycra quite apparent.

Now you are shifting your ground because you have next to no support, and are trying to recast your position to claim that it puts other people off cycling.

But there are plenty here who, like myself, realise that it's all about your personal prejudices.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

newie

Postby newie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:32 pm

il padrone wrote: Do what suits you. But consider other options. Suggest to non-cycling friends that they could ride the bike to the shops, pub, station or friends places for short (<5kms) trips and point out that they don't need to wear lycra.

Ride your own bike for shorter trips and skip the specific cycle-clothing. You may be surprised how easy and convenient it is.
Of all the variety of reasons my non-cycling friends have ever given for not choosing to cycle, the fact that they would have to wear lycra has never featured. I suspect that if I made a point of telling them that they didn't need lycra for short trips that I would get some strange looks and perhaps annoyance that I was being so patronising in telling them something that they are smart enough to figure out for themselves. I have never bothered to change into lycra kit for short (< 5km) trips and I would be suprised if there are many cyclists out there who would. So really what you are saying I should do differently is engage in more short trips by bike myself and encourage other to do so too. This is totally irrelevant to clothing choice. I am still failing to see the point.

I have found most of the posts in this thread about what people wear and the reasons why quite interesting. People make choices about their clothing for a variety of reasons around their personal cycling circumstances. When you are a bit of a cycling fanatic, you like to hear about all the small details about other people's experiences. But as a previous poster noted, all this pro and anti lycra discussion is a bit weird.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm

newie wrote:I have never bothered to change into lycra kit for short (< 5km) trips and I would be suprised if there are many cyclists out there who would. So really what you are saying I should do differently is engage in more short trips by bike myself and encourage other to do so too. This is totally irrelevant to clothing choice. I am still failing to see the point.
Well, maybe try riding to work in casual or work clothing?? It's only 10kms after all. You asked the question, I was just giving you some ideas. If you don't want it, fine, just go on riding in lycra.

I'm really not going to get into an argument with you about this :|
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 pm

RonK wrote:Well actually, it arose because you continue to push your personal bias, which is plain to see not only in this thread but also several other threads where you make your disdain for those who wear lycra quite apparent.

Now you are shifting your ground because you have next to no support, and are trying to recast your position to claim that it puts other people off cycling.

But there are plenty here who, like myself, realise that it's all about your personal prejudices.
Lol! :lol:

RonK, I don't have disdain for those who wear Lycra, why would I? My viewpoint should be quite plain to see for those who wish to read and comprehend my previous comments. I love cycling of all types including a good ride down beach road in Lycra followed a nice coffee.

This discussion isn't about attacking and defending Lycra. This is about Lycra and others perception of it.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Actually I found the "Fred Barrier" almost stopped me from cycling. All these people cycling on hybrids and MTB wearing cotton clothes, hi vis vests, daggy helmets, safety glasses for sunnies, 4 water bottles and their incessant talk about "epic" 50km rides made me shudder with revulsion.

Then a mate quietly showed me the way of Lycra and the roadie code - ah bliss.

Now I happily cycle and look down my nose at all those who can't, or won't, hurdle the Lycra barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

human909 wrote:
RonK wrote:Well actually, it arose because you continue to push your personal bias, which is plain to see not only in this thread but also several other threads where you make your disdain for those who wear lycra quite apparent.

Lol! :lol:

RonK, I don't have disdain for those who wear Lycra, why would I? My viewpoint should be quite plain to see for those who wish to read and comprehend my previous comments. I love cycling of all types including a good ride down beach road in Lycra followed a nice coffee.

This discussion isn't about attacking and defending Lycra. This is about Lycra and others perception of it.
No, it's not just about perception. Lycra has mind-altering properties, man! When I put Lycra on to commute, I must constantly fight the urge to catch, cook and eat random passers-by. I think it has to do with that Cannibal fellow that won all those bike races, maybe. When I wear regular clothes, I feel no such urge. In the interests of scientific inquiry, I once wore Lycra under my regular clothing. The urge continued. Only when I get home and take it off (donning my tinfoil hat at the same time, that should go without saying) do things return to normal.

On a slightly less frivolous note, it does seem to be regarded as some sort of uniform. When you see someone on a brand-new bike, rocking Sky kit and hanging onto a fence to clip in, I think it's fair to assume that
(a) this is not someone training for this year's Tour de France defence; and
(b) they have probably not been cycling for years and years and it's just how they roll

but there they are in their brand-new Sky kit. Hey, whatever works. I myself think the world would be a better place if people made a bit less fuss about how other people dressed. Except for fitted caps. Those things are just wrong.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 am

Show of hands, who goes grocery shopping in Lycra?
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 am

AUbicycles wrote:Show of hands, who goes grocery shopping in Lycra?
With or without a bike ? :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:00 am

high_tea wrote: I myself think the world would be a better place if people made a bit less fuss about how other people dressed.
I can agree with that! 8)

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:46 am

I have done on the way home from work. Not a full shop, just milk, bread and bananas and stuff.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 am

find_bruce wrote:
With or without a bike ? :D
http://youtu.be/RSSgkcWqR6I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:P

No lycra though.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 am

On the way home from work, yes.
2010 BMC SLC01

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:10 am

warthog1 wrote:That's about as direct as I expected.
:mrgreen: + 1

Andrew