Sometimes
9%
Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
ldrcycles

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am

Much worse than gel saddles are gel saddle COVERS, complete waste of money, unless you are after an instrument of torture.

FWIW i don't wear lycra (and really should we be calling it that, most of the stuff i have is only something like 10-20% lycra?) to be aerodynamic, i wear it because it's more comfortable than boardies and a t shirt.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

fit4life8

Postby fit4life8 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey there from California!

This thread was brought to my attention by a member who thought I'd find it interesting...and to that end I actually joined the forum just to contribute my thoughts on this subject. I realize I'm coming from a different culture and I'm constantly reminded that men down-under are required to be hardcore, stout and "macho". Over here the trend has gone full circle, much like a wealthy person who pretends they don't care about money all our MMA fighters, strong, fast and intense people tend to be peaceful, mellow and are macho enough not to care how macho they come across. I see road cyclist in pink, flourescents and all sorts of bright/obnoxious stuff...all under the banner of "you're less likely to get hit by a car if they can see you better"...but I honestly think it's one-up'smanship to see who can be more vulgar, lol :mrgreen:

You know, I read an article recently (authored by a gal) who suggested that cycling is the one avenue where men can wear skin-tight outfits, coordinate with gloves, shoes, sunglasses and be all fashionable...and for this very reason many men embrace it. So let me just put this out there, I've cycled with many mates who'll admit that one of the perks of riding is that they get to wear lycra and the such. Heck, there are even guys who ride just for the reason that they can wear lycra. These guys aren't gay, soft, crossdressers or anything of the like. Where does this come from? I'm going to speculate:

Women are sexy and we are driven to admire them. They get to wear an arsenal of sexy attire, all of which draws our attention. Just about any guy, at some point, will wonder what it's like to experience commanding that sort of attention. Without devling into more pyschology, wearing lycra is perhaps the one avenue men have to feel like they're wearing something revealing, sporty, sexy and in some way draw positive attention to ourselves. There are plenty of men who'll contend they'd never be caught dead wearing lycra and many women who sing their condemnation of it, BUT there are plenty of men who admit to enjoying wearing it and I myself have many times experienced a LOT of positive attention.

Women tend to be discrete but I've watched countless amounts of women checking men out as they ride by or walk by wearing their lycra. After a ride or the gym I'll sometimes catch lunch, run a few errands or make a quick stop on the way home...I've caught many women looking, checking things out and a few have even offered compliments. My own personal trainer, a stunning female, claims that all women love it but most are too embarrassed to admit it. When I started noticing some positive attention, it drove me to lose more weight, get in better shape and take a bit more time noticing the variety and options when it comes to selecting my riding gear.

I know very few riders who don't enjoy wearing their lycra gear...it's comfortable, functional and a bit of attention can be fun so long as it's tastefully done and in an appropriate setting. What I'm reading here are a lot of blokes who are concerned that it somehow makes them less of a man, questionable gay or "soft". To that I say...wear what's comfortable, wear what you want and life is too short to worry about what someone else MAY be thinking. Look in the mirror to make sure you're not wearing something that looks wrong or too revealing, the crotch area should be black material and shirts/jerseys should be reasonably long: know what you're putting out there...but beyond that...ride, enjoy life and don't stress the little stuff.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm

fit4life8 wrote:Without devling into more pyschology, wearing lycra is perhaps the one avenue men have to feel like they're wearing something revealing, sporty, sexy and in some way draw positive attention to ourselves.
Here the cultural difference shows its head. You evidently have not been to an Aussie football club bash, or on a ship 'across the line'.

ImageImage

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

boss

Postby boss » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:25 pm

What a weird second post.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 am

fit4life8,

Your post has me cringing.... :lol:
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:46 am

I don't ride in jeans just like I don't swim in jeans or run in jeans. I ride wearing "lycra", swim wearing "lycra" and run wearing "lycra"... aka activity appropriate clothing. I once watched a guy run 3km in jeans. Impressive effort. Not sure it would have been that comfortable though. I wear activity appropriate clothing for comfort, nothing more.
<removed by request>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 am

I am reading the question literally though I suspect that it could be construed as "are you of the lycra brigade" sort of thing.

In my case I always "wear lycra" just as I have, since first commuting by bike some 30 years ago - jut plain black riding knicks. These days on top I mostly wear a close fitting singlet and they are mostly stretch spandex sort of stuff simply because they maintain their shape and are drip-dry.

On the other hand I have never worn team gear (unless I have forgotten a distant fathers day gift) and basically buy whatever has workded for me in the past and at minimal cost. However my wife did have made for me a green-yellow custom riding top for a birthday. (Didn't I feel pretty slick in that. :oops: Every bit as stylistic as flares and paisley shirts.)

Lycra and padding is about as functional as you can get for riding, something that the haters out there choose to ignore.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 am

casual_cyclist wrote:I don't ride in jeans just like I don't swim in jeans or run in jeans. I ride wearing "lycra", swim wearing "lycra" and run wearing "lycra"... aka activity appropriate clothing. I once watched a guy run 3km in jeans. Impressive effort. Not sure it would have been that comfortable though. I wear activity appropriate clothing for comfort, nothing more.
This is the same thought line I have. Wear clothing specific to the activity you are doing, and don't feel bad about it. Well said.

The guy running in jeans while interesting to see, I would imagine would be applying aloe vera to his chaffed out nuts and thighs after that little stunt. haha. But good on him for proving a point. :-P
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Most usually I wear lycra because I'm training, or riding in a bunch or riding a long way. It's more comfortable and really, I need to compensate for that minimalist saddle I've got on my road bikes. Usually I wear bibs because they are most comfortable and synthetic tops of some material, usually tightly fitted. I hate flapping jerseys and things jump out of your pockets or move around.

I like a stylish kit and try to match tops and bottoms. And I like it to match my bike.

Sometimes I will go on a casual ride, maybe into the CBD for an event or something and I'll wear normalish clothes. Unless I change my saddle (unlikely because it's properly set up) then I'll wear stretchy gym shorts under a dress. Sometimes i'll tuck that dress into my shorts so it doesn't get caught in the wheels. However, I do find that 20 or 30 kms of that sort of riding usually results in saddle soreness.

I do get confused about what to do about shoes - speedplays are a problem for walking around. In that case, I'll usually wear a messenger bag and put thongs or sandals in it. But I do get a bit hot and sticky. It would be better if I had a more sit-up type bike with normal pedals for that sort of excursion.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 pm

This popped up on Reddit. Thought it was worth sharing here for the fun of it ... :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 am

It may well be more than just lycra. The best way to get more people riding bikes is to KISS, and make cycling easier for people.
Without question, high tech clothing designed specifically for bicycling can help a serious or competitive rider go faster and farther in greater comfort. But for the rest of us, everyday clothing works just fine.

Civilian clothes are better, in fact, if you are riding someplace where you will end up mingling with non-riders. There’s just something about wandering around in clickity shoes and bright tight Spandex that makes one stand out in a crowd.
Mandatory helmet law?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:17 pm

I can understand the Lycra lads all cycling along in a group, but what happens when you rest and stand in a circle for a yarn?...... I mean......where do you look.... :oops:
I mean there is a bunch of guys standing around in underwear......
Its the reason why, when at school and the teachers wanted volunteers for Ballet , that no boys put up their hands. :lol:

newie

Postby newie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 pm

outnabike wrote:I can understand the Lycra lads all cycling along in a group, but what happens when you rest and stand in a circle for a yarn?...... I mean......where do you look.... :oops:
Its the reason why, when at school and the teachers wanted volunteers for Ballet , that no boys put up their hands. :lol:
Grow up and get over any homophobia you have.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:55 pm

outnabike wrote:I can understand the Lycra lads all cycling along in a group, but what happens when you rest and stand in a circle for a yarn?...... I mean......where do you look.... :oops:
You seem to be looking at the wrong sort of lycra :roll:

Cyclists have a chamois liner that covers most profiles up :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Oh for goodness sakes we are all grown ups. We've all got the same bits and pieces (ladies excepted) - it's not like you have to look - and the gear does have padding to cover things up a bit.

And Il Padrone, that image!!! :shock: That's probably worse than the Polish cycling team.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Google for lycra rowers..... there are worse still :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:32 pm

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:On the other hand I have never worn team gear
Ditto.

I think rules 16 and 17 are relevant here. Even if rule 17 is more of a guideline.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Didn't deter Mr Rabbit - where do you look when you're chatting with him? Or his friends.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Oh for goodness sakes we are all grown ups. ] Snipped

Yes but what about the women and kids that runaway screaming? Do you notice in that pic above how they all stand in a row so they don't have to look at each other? :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 pm

outnabike wrote:Yes but what about the women and kids that runaway screaming? Do you notice in that pic above how they all stand in a row so they don't have to look at each other? :lol:
Call it education. :mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

outnabike wrote:Yes but what about the women and kids that runaway screaming? Do you notice in that pic above how they all stand in a row so they don't have to look at each other? :lol:
:?: :roll:

They are rowers. (they don't have chamois padding, hence the disturbing clarity of bits) Not applicable for cycling lycra.
Mandatory helmet law?

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

So you're the dude that checks out every ones junk! Eyes front mate.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Karati wrote:

So you're the dude that checks out every ones junk! Eyes front mate.
Ouch!!!
Last edited by outnabike on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:09 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: bloody hell this threads took a turn for the worst hasnt it :roll:

:mrgreen:
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD