Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Your choice of cycling attire is lycra?

Always
155
60%
Mostly
61
24%
Sometimes
23
9%
Never
19
7%
Would if I could
1
0%
 
Total votes : 259

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby human909 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 am

hannos wrote:It's blind and naive to think you cannot cycle without joining the so-called lycra brigade.


:shock: :shock: :?: :? :?: :?
My 65 year old mother is not joining the Lycra brigade. Nor does anybody who observes her cycling 3 times a week thing she is joining the Lycra brigade.

My 34 year old sister who commutes to work on a genuine OMA FIETS is not joining the Lycra brigade.

My dozens of peers who sole form of transport is the bicycle but don't own Lycra are not joining the Lycra brigade.


Maybe in some parts of Australia Lycra is now so dominant that all cyclists are rolled up into that category. However thankfully it is not like that everywhere.

simonn wrote:I recognize it, but really do not care. If they do not want to ride a bike because of what someone else is wearing, well, that's their problem to deal with.

*SIGH* You continue to ignore what is being said. Their reluctance to ride a bike HAS nothing to do with what somebody else is wearing!
Last edited by human909 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
human909
 
Posts: 4765
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

by BNA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 am

BNA
 

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 am

The Road cyclists are a different breed (call it Lycra brigade if you must), the average Australian would not for love or money get up at 4-5am to get into a skin suit and go cycling for 2/3/4+ hours riding into headwinds up hills all for the ultimate reward of having a coffee at the end.

Australian's seem to be able to pick and choose excuses for not doing things, on this post its about "Wearing Lycra" and falling into some secret society of the "Lycra Clad" which is just utter non-sense because on the flip side they will carry on to no end that they won't ride a bike because they have to wear a helmet by law or that "i couldn't ride a bike on the road because its too dangerous" because people as incompetent and insensitive to other human beings on the road as they are, will still be driving cars.

No wonder Australians are becoming obese, they have an excuse to not do just about anything.
Image
Image
User avatar
Mrfenejeans
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Kingsley

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 am

human909 wrote:Personally I don't want to join the Lycra tribe either. In fact many might have guessed as such from my comments.

The Lycra barrier is big and it is REAL.


In your mind...and only in your mind.
Last edited by RonK on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5267
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 am

human909 wrote:*SIGH* You continue to ignore what is being said. Their reluctance to ride a bike HAS nothing to do with what somebody else is wearing!


Define what your "lycra barrier" is then.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 am

human909 wrote:Maybe in some parts of Australia Lycra is now so dominant that all cyclists are rolled up into that category. However thankfully it is not like that everywhere.

Interesting concept. It seems most people on here saying "lycra always" seem to be Sydneysiders. I know that here in Melbourne, especially the inner suburbs and the northern subuurbs there is a great mix of cyclist clothing used. Very many urban commuters do not wear lycra at all, they just ride to work in work clothes often.

Interesting also to note the different cycle commute percentages for the two cities. There are all sorts of reasons for this - terrain being a prime one, road conditions as well. It seems the survivor cyclists in Sydney need to be hard-cases to get by. Life is a bit easier for Melbourne cyclists.

There seems to be significant cycling culture differences between our two largest cities

One description of Super Tuesday
ABC wrote:Eight per cent of daily traffic into Melbourne's CBD is by bike, and it's growing....
.....The intersection of St Kilda Road and Southbank Boulevard outside the Arts Centre was chockers too, with cyclists in Lycra, business suits, casual gear and everything in between (one intrepid rider had a sweatshirt saying 'Cheerleaders do it with spirit').
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby __PG__ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

99% of the time it's Lycra. The only time I don't wear it is for short rides (< 15 minutes) when I'm riding to the gym, or down to the shops, or riding to the park with the kids.

I'd also echo il padrone's comments by saying that the majority of cyclists I see on my commute don't wear Lycra (I'm in Melbourne's inner north).
Image
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby human909 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

Mrfenejeans wrote:The Road cyclists are a different breed (call it Lycra brigade if you must), the average Australian would not for love or money get up at 4-5am to get into a skin suit and go cycling for 2/3/4+ hours riding into headwinds up hills all for the ultimate reward of having a coffee at the end.

Australian's seem to be able to pick and choose excuses for not doing things, on this post its about "Wearing Lycra" and falling into some secret society of the "Lycra Clad" which is just utter non-sense because on the flip side they will carry on to no end that they won't ride a bike because they have to wear a helmet by law or that "i couldn't ride a bike on the road because its too dangerous" because people as incompetent and insensitive to other human beings on the road as they are, will still be driving cars.

No wonder Australians are becoming obese, they have an excuse to not do just about anything.


The average Dutch person wouldn't want to get up at 4-5am to go cycling long distances either. In fact neither do I. You said it yourself! "The Road cyclists are a different breed." So why expect the average Australian to want to subscribe to that? The average Australian does not want to become a "Road Cyclist" or part of the "Lycra Brigade"!!!

RonK wrote:In you mind...and only in your mind.

Actually it isn't a barrier in my mind. As I've said I've been cycling all my life. However for many non-cyclists is REALLY is a barrier. In a few cases I've heard words explicitly to that effect. (ride to work days)

simonn wrote:Define what your "lycra barrier" is then.

I believe I have. Many people don't like to be part of the Lycra tribe and the culture that surrounds it. But likewise many people see and associate riding bikes with the Lycra tribe.
human909
 
Posts: 4765
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 am

human909 wrote:
Mrfenejeans wrote:The Road cyclists are a different breed (call it Lycra brigade if you must), the average Australian would not for love or money get up at 4-5am to get into a skin suit and go cycling for 2/3/4+ hours riding into headwinds up hills all for the ultimate reward of having a coffee at the end.

Australian's seem to be able to pick and choose excuses for not doing things, on this post its about "Wearing Lycra" and falling into some secret society of the "Lycra Clad" which is just utter non-sense because on the flip side they will carry on to no end that they won't ride a bike because they have to wear a helmet by law or that "i couldn't ride a bike on the road because its too dangerous" because people as incompetent and insensitive to other human beings on the road as they are, will still be driving cars.

No wonder Australians are becoming obese, they have an excuse to not do just about anything.


The average Dutch person wouldn't want to get up at 4-5am to go cycling long distances either. In fact neither do I. You said it yourself! "The Road cyclists are a different breed." So why expect the average Australian to want to subscribe to that? The average Australian does not want to become a "Road Cyclist" or part of the "Lycra Brigade"!!!


I never stated all Australians should be road cyclists in lycra, or that they should be up at the crack of dawn. However using the fact that this is what other people do as an excuse not to get out and enjoy the activity of riding a bike is ludicrous as i stated if it wasn't "wearing lycra" it would be "Having to wear a helmet" or some other load of rubbish.
Image
Image
User avatar
Mrfenejeans
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Kingsley

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 am

human909 wrote:
simonn wrote:Define what your "lycra barrier" is then.

I believe I have. Many people don't like to be part of the Lycra tribe and the culture that surrounds it. But likewise many people see and associate riding bikes with the Lycra tribe.


I disagree. I think you are shifting your position. So lets dig a little deeper.

Can you define what you mean by "lycra tribe?"
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:56 am

Mrfenejeans wrote:I never stated all Australians should be road cyclists in lycra, or that they should be up at the crack of dawn. However using the fact that this is what other people do as an excuse not to get out and enjoy the activity of riding a bike is ludicrous as i stated if it wasn't "wearing lycra" it would be "Having to wear a helmet" or some other load of rubbish.

Congratulations! You have accurately identified a number of barriers to ordinary (non-cycling) people not getting out to ride a bike. It really doesn't matter what you think of these reasons, they are barriers. To dismiss it as a "load of rubbish" is very ignorant and achieves nothing.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby human909 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

simonn wrote:Can you define what you mean by "lycra tribe?"


I think Mrfenejeans has described it in an self reflective manner that I could not do.

The Road cyclists are a different breed (call it Lycra brigade if you must), the average Australian would not for love or money get up at 4-5am to get into a skin suit and go cycling for 2/3/4+ hours riding into headwinds up hills all for the ultimate reward of having a coffee at the end.
human909
 
Posts: 4765
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 am

IP my intent wasn't to dismiss these barriers as rubbish, I myself prior to my cyclist life was a 22-23yr old 120kg slob, with any excuse under the sun to not get out and do any exercise of any kind or really enjoy life, so i know what its like to face these barriers.
Image
Image
User avatar
Mrfenejeans
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Kingsley

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:37 am

RonK wrote:
human909 wrote:Personally I don't want to join the Lycra tribe either. In fact many might have guessed as such from my comments.

The Lycra barrier is big and it is REAL.


In your mind...and only in your mind.


+1
There has been no evidence provided of this big, overwhelming, imaginary barrier :roll:

Tribes, barriers. WALOS what a load of excrement
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2793
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am

Mrfenejeans wrote:IP my intent wasn't to dismiss these barriers as rubbish


Sorry but it is my intent to dismiss these barriers as nonsense. Noone is forcing anyone to wear lycra. It is just that for those who wear it, they have discovered that it is the most practical clothing to wear when actually riding the bike.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2793
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am

OK. Well the thing we need to do is to get around those barriers. For some developing a taste for lycra may be the way to go, however for many the easiest path to begin with is to just ride the bike. We need to recognise and respect those who commute in casual clothing or their work clothing, not dis them as a "person on a BSO". I hear far too much of this on these forums.

What human909 is on about is the idea of ordinary people riding bikes in ordinary clothing, where it is practical to do so. The more there is of this the safer our streets will be for all of us.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby VRE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 am

human909 wrote:
Redbull wrote:Probably quicker an easier to ask who doesn't.


Is it? Where I live, ride and commute probably only 1 in 20 cyclists are wearing Lycra. For long distance and enthusiast cycling, Lycra and dedicated cycle wear are the obvious and sensible garb of choice for almost everybody else it is not sensible. Unfortunately for many people, in many parts of Australia cycling is either a enthusiast activity or not at all.

I don't fit your incorrect stereotype, as I need to use lycra for my commute, as it's a 60km round trip, taking public transport is less convenient and less enjoyable, and I don't drive a car.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby ozstriker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 am

human909 wrote:
Redbull wrote:Probably quicker an easier to ask who doesn't.


Is it? Where I live, ride and commute probably only 1 in 20 cyclists are wearing Lycra. For long distance and enthusiast cycling, Lycra and dedicated cycle wear are the obvious and sensible garb of choice for almost everybody else it is not sensible. Unfortunately for many people, in many parts of Australia cycling is either a enthusiast activity or not at all.

I voted NEVER because "sometimes" over represents the ~2% of the time I wear my Lycra.

ozstriker wrote:When it comes to roadies I very rarely see someone that isn't wearing lycra

What makes somebody a "roadie" if it isn't the lycra? A road bike? Well are you counting the 1000s of hipsters, poor uni students, and my 65 yo father riding 20 year old road bikes?


***Explanation: I do have a bone to pick with the Lycra culture. Not that Lycra is a problem, nor are having enthusiasts a problem. However I see that there is a problem in this country with the lack of non-enthusiast cycling culture. This lack of non-enthusiast cycling culture affects us enthusiasts significantly. It makes it more unsafe on the roads and leads to poorer cycling infrastructure. I would like to see more enthusiasts recognise this and support and encourage cycling no matter what people wear.


Sorry I'm a bit late to the party here,

I was referring to the style of bike, not the person.

I should have said that I don't see many people riding road bikes (bikes with skinny tyres drop bars and such) that don't wear Lycra
ozstriker
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 am

VRE wrote:I don't fit your incorrect stereotype, as I need to use lycra for my commute, as it's a 60km round trip, taking public transport is less convenient and less enjoyable, and I don't drive a car.

VRE, you misread human909's post. You are a long distance cyclist (by general commute standards)

human909 wrote:For long distance and enthusiast cycling, Lycra and dedicated cycle wear are the obvious and sensible garb of choice


The point is that many people could get out on a bike. Most (>95%) would not want to commute 30+km each way. Most would be fine to ride up to 5kms (more than the average trip distance for motorist commuters in Melbourne) and they will not need lycra cycle clothing for this. Many people in Melbourne live within 5kms of a rail station, but they drive their car this short distance to over-fill the station car-park :roll:
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 pm

human909 wrote:
simonn wrote:Can you define what you mean by "lycra tribe?"


I think Mrfenejeans has described it in an self reflective manner that I could not do.

The Road cyclists are a different breed (call it Lycra brigade if you must), the average Australian would not for love or money get up at 4-5am to get into a skin suit and go cycling for 2/3/4+ hours riding into headwinds up hills all for the ultimate reward of having a coffee at the end.


So some people doing the above is a barrier to other people cycling?

Why is that?
Last edited by simonn on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:23 pm

simonn wrote:So some people doing the above is a barrier to other people cycling?

Why is that?

You seem to misunderstanding the concept of culture and the expectations associated with it.
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

il padrone wrote:
simonn wrote:So some people doing the above is a barrier to other people cycling?

Why is that?

You seem to misunderstanding the concept of culture and expectations associated.


Sidestepping, across the universe...

No I don't (actually, part of my degree was cultural sociology).

I just think people who do not question their culture and/or think and act for themselves are pathetic, and really should not be kowtowed to. If they don't want to cycle, fine. Not cycling because of what other people wear, which both you and human909 are sidestepping, is pathetic.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:46 pm

OK, I'll elaborate. I don't know precisely what the cycling culture in Sydney is, but in Melbourne there are a great variety of people commuting. From the outer suburbs come the road riders in cycle clothing. Closer in, and particularly from the northern and western suburbs there are many riding in shorts and t-shirts. Many people do ride in their work clothing, mostly from the inner suburbs where they have a 4-6km commute. There is also a big fixie/urban hipster culture in the inner north. Many road riders commute from the bayside suburbs along Beach Road.

Non-cyclists look at those who are riding and take their tips on clothing to wear from them. This is the most obvious source to look for information. Even if they are not intending to ride people get this information from observation.

If they see nothing but road riders wearing cycle clothing then they are likely to expect that this is necessary for a commute ride (eg. from out my way - Mitcham to the city). If they see lots of people riding in casual clothing they will expect to be able to ride comfortably in this sort of dress (eg. Brunswick to the city)

They could also get such information from their LBS, from talking to friend/colleagues who do ride etc. Will they say "Just riude in your work clothes", or "You really need lycra"? This will all depend on their culture.

No easy answer but if there are lots of road cyclists in lycra on a route, it is entirely reasonable that people think that the sort of clothing needed for a comfortable ride on that route is lycra. As for 'not cycling' bit - part of that comes from the bad PR portrayed by various media outlets about 'lycra-louts', part from observations of bad behaviour on bike paths or roads, part from the sporting side "TdF - that's not me", and part from the stress over personal appearance in public - the 'in' versus 'out' group bit comes in here as well.

As I said - we may think it is silly, unjustified, or a "load of rubbish" but it does occur and we need to work to help people overcome such barriers. Getting cycling to be mainstream will need to involve in some measure facilitating the use of mainstream clothing when doing it, for people who can (and want) to wear such clothing for their short rides.
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 pm

il padrone wrote:If they see nothing but road riders wearing cycle clothing then they are likely to expect that this is necessary for a commute ride (eg. from out my way - Mitcham to the city).


Thus they are ignorant, unimaginative, or correct. Certainly not self starters in the first two cases and wrong in the second. Ergo, a little pathetic.

EDIT: And for the record, I am not saying that everyone who does not cycle is pathetic. Just if they do il padrone's quote above.

il padrone wrote:They could also get such information from their LBS, from talking to friend/colleagues who do ride etc. Will they say "Just riude in your work clothes", or "You really need lycra"? This will all depend on their culture.


Or they could use the device they probably have in their pocket or glued to their ear, which has an order of magnitude more computing power than was used to put men on the moon and return them to earth safely and connects them to most other humans in the world, to cast off the veil of ignorance they have and find out.

In a world with the internet, it is a choice to remain ignorant.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:01 pm

I don't know that so many people really use Google for this sort of useful purpose. Most seem to just use the net to get Fox Sports.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Marx » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:06 pm

I lycra up.

Although on commutes I wear my aging knicks under shorts – shorts have pockets & my older knicks still have a good chamois even though the lycra has gone stretchy-see-through.

Rec road rides, MTB & whatever racing I do, I wear lycra. Although I must admit that its only racing that I co-ordinate my gear to match. Any recreational weekend riding is done in mis-matched gear, because that is how it’s suppose to be.

I always wear socks. I can’t understand how not wearing socks in cleated shoes can be a positive?
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.
User avatar
Marx
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Kensington Melbourne Australia

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit