Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Your choice of cycling attire is lycra?

Always
155
60%
Mostly
61
24%
Sometimes
23
9%
Never
19
7%
Would if I could
1
0%
 
Total votes : 259

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 pm

simonn wrote:
human909 wrote:There is nothing wrong with Lycra. But recognise that its role in Australian cycling is much more than just comfort. It is a tribal uniform. By wearing Lycra you are joining the tribe of the Lycra clad. By doing so you get all the benefits of a tribe. But you also get stereotyped by doing so.


All clothing is part of a tribal uniform. I would argue that by wearing lyc^K^K^Kcycle specific clothing the problem is that you are not conforming the dominant tribal norms - small petty minded humans that we are.


HA! Wearing jeans&t-shirt is not a tribal unifiorm in our general society! Wearing jeans&t-shirt down the street will not encourage people to draw immediate stereotypes and will not get friendly nods from other people wearing jeans&t-shirt! :mrgreen:
human909
 
Posts: 5287
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

by BNA » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:43 pm

BNA
 

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby gdt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:43 pm

What else are you going to wear when commuting 40Km to 80Km per day in Adelaide heat? Not wearing the right kit in extreme weather is simply irresponsible.
gdt
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm

human909 wrote:Since I REALLY don't care what I wear (shorts or just nicks) I left the decision to her!

Like I said, I REALLY don't care what I wear, I make my own decision based on my comfort in the circumstances - temperature, other weather conditions, general setting, distance ridden. I don't contact my friends to get an idea of what they will be wearing :? :o

As an idea here is what our group wore for a recent 60km ride on country roads last Saturday. A fair mix of lycra, casual shirts, long-sleeve polo shirts etc. Most wore lycra knicks.

Image
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 19612
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:55 pm

human909 wrote:
simonn wrote:
human909 wrote:There is nothing wrong with Lycra. But recognise that its role in Australian cycling is much more than just comfort. It is a tribal uniform. By wearing Lycra you are joining the tribe of the Lycra clad. By doing so you get all the benefits of a tribe. But you also get stereotyped by doing so.


All clothing is part of a tribal uniform. I would argue that by wearing lyc^K^K^Kcycle specific clothing the problem is that you are not conforming the dominant tribal norms - small petty minded humans that we are.


HA! Wearing jeans&t-shirt is not a tribal unifiorm in our general society! Wearing jeans&t-shirt down the street will not encourage people to draw immediate stereotypes and will not get friendly nods from other people wearing jeans&t-shirt! :mrgreen:


Hi, I'm Eddie Mcguire and welcome to Channel 9's coverage of the 2013 Redneck Olympic Games. On tonights broadcast.
Image
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 pm

gdt wrote:What else are you going to wear when commuting 40Km to 80Km per day in Adelaide heat? Not wearing the right kit in extreme weather is simply irresponsible.
The question is, is a polyester summer jersey actually cooler than a cotton T shirt? I would say no. I would say most people wear polyester jerseys for the pockets, aero and visibility advantages.

As for spandex shorts, are they actually cooler than the alternatives? They are definately more aero, but I would not say they are necessarily cooler, especially with the padding.

As for controlling chafe, there may be advantages with spandex for applying substances, but this really depends on what saddle you use and how often you stand up. I don't get a lot of problems with the leather saddles in regard to chafe or overheating.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6722
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Nobody wrote:The question is, is a polyester summer jersey actually cooler than a cotton T shirt? I would say no. I would say most people wear polyester jerseys for the pockets, aero and visibility advantages.

Wcking of perspiration. Cotton gets 'orribly clammy.

Nobody wrote:As for spandex shorts, are they actually cooler than the alternatives? They are definately more aero, but I would not say they are necessarily cooler, especially with the padding.

Often cooler. Baggy shorts with an inner liner get quite warm and sweaty on hot days. I'm going to look forward to my next pair of knicks as I'll get the GE lycra/merino ones and they should wick moisture (perspiration) very nicely.

The smooth surface of knicks moves very nicely over a leather saddle, reducing skin-chafe.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 19612
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby TDC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Show of hands - who wears bathers to the beach?
TDC
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Oh no!! Lycra at the beach :shock:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 19612
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby TDC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm

avert your eyes!!
TDC
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:24 pm

I mostly do... Especially in summer in
Bne for my longish commutes.

For my sport rides... On the roadie always yes. For mtbing in winter I wear mtb shorts but in the QLD summer I'm Lycra all the way too. It's just too hot and sweaty for anything else...
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby ILMB » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm

I'll always prefer a light cotton skirt and blouse that lets the air-flow through over anything form fitting.

Love merino wool in cooler weather.
User avatar
ILMB
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby simonn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:46 pm

human909 wrote:
simonn wrote:
human909 wrote:There is nothing wrong with Lycra. But recognise that its role in Australian cycling is much more than just comfort. It is a tribal uniform. By wearing Lycra you are joining the tribe of the Lycra clad. By doing so you get all the benefits of a tribe. But you also get stereotyped by doing so.


All clothing is part of a tribal uniform. I would argue that by wearing lyc^K^K^Kcycle specific clothing the problem is that you are not conforming the dominant tribal norms - small petty minded humans that we are.


HA! Wearing jeans&t-shirt is not a tribal unifiorm in our general society! Wearing jeans&t-shirt down the street will not encourage people to draw immediate stereotypes and will not get friendly nods from other people wearing jeans&t-shirt! :mrgreen:


It is definitely a tribal uniform in western culture.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 pm

ILMB wrote:I'll always prefer a light cotton skirt and blouse that lets the air-flow through over anything form fitting.

All very fine for the ride to the shops or a bike path burble. Doesn't work so well for an 80km ride on a windy day. :wink:

As many have been saying here - it's horses for courses.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 19612
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm

It depends on who is asking and why they are asking. :P

Doing 30km or further in 30°C+ heat, I can't imagine a T-shirt and jeans would be particularly nice.
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4571
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
Mrfenejeans wrote:I never considered "Not wearing" lycra as an option :P


It's not.
It is.

Plenty of people wear plain clothing that don't have to be the fastest.


What? Surely those people should just be taken out the back and shot.
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:01 pm

TDC wrote:Show of hands - who wears bathers to the beach?


:lol:
Show of hands - who has a Lycra seat and cycles nude? Nothing clammy then right?
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby ILMB » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm

il padrone wrote:
ILMB wrote:I'll always prefer a light cotton skirt and blouse that lets the air-flow through over anything form fitting.

All very fine for the ride to the shops or a bike path burble. Doesn't work so well for an 80km ride on a windy day. :wink:

As many have been saying here - it's horses for courses.


IL, you're inferring I don't do serious KMs in a day.

I regularly do 40 - 50 kms a day depending on where the day's chores and commitments take me. So far I have not seen any need for any sort of specialised cycling gear, and don't believe the lack thereof has in any way impeded my cycling enjoyment.
User avatar
ILMB
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

ILMB wrote:IL, you're inferring I don't do serious KMs in a day.

Not at all. I'm suggesting that shorter rides - even 40-50kms - around town are a different experience to 80+kms on the open road. Especially when sustained for some time as part of a multi-day tour.

Like I said, horses for courses.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 19612
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Yeah sure Il Padrone, how many times have you ridden 80 ks in a skirt & blouse ? :D
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4088
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby clackers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Always on the roadie, never on the commuter, baggy shorts with liner on the MTB.

Jerseys on all three, and only occasionally skirt and blouse. :grin:
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 pm

When I started cycling again I just wore regular shorts/t-shirts.
After getting red raw chafing on my thighs and nipples, I switched to shorts with a Lycra padded liner and quick dry polyester shirts. Chafing issues solved!

for commuting I wear MTB shorts with liners, plus a non-Lycra jersey. For the roadie I wear bib Knicks and jersey, but on the roadie I am usually doing a long fast ride. Both choices are for comfort!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 3051
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yeah sure Il Padrone, how many times have you ridden 80 ks in a skirt & blouse ? :D


There's pics out there if you know where to search :P

Cotton? Stays sweaty, gets cold when you stop. Not for many a year...
I'll wear a polyester T shirt most of the time but on a stinker the extra venting of a full zip is priceless.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26336
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Yeah sure Il Padrone, how many times have you ridden 80 ks in a skirt & blouse ? :D


There's pics out there if you know where to search :P

Thank you for proving that ignorance is bliss :D
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4088
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:18 am

The way I see it is thus...

I spend about 10 hours a week commuting 48km a day with about 700-1000M of climbing (depending on what source you want to believe) in heat, rain, dust storms (well there was one once) etc etc none of which are conducive to riding in work clothes.

So, I could...

1) buy/ride with non-cycling specific clothing to satisfy some, IMHO idiot's, aesthetic and/or social sensibilities and deal with the chafing and smell

or

2) buy/ride with cycle specific clothing which is comfortable, doesn't smell (as much) and dries out during the day should it have rained in the morning.

Basically, I'm not stoopid and don't really care if some newb (or potential newb) or old hand is put off by me riding in whatever I want to ride. If they are that small minded, because if me riding in lycra is a genuine reason for them not cycling (or whatever, really) they certainly are small minded, they, IMHO, deserve no value placed on their opinion on anything and I certainly do not care if such petty people cycle or not.

However, should I ride a few km to the beach, shops around to mum's or the in-laws etc I'll more than likely just wear "normal" clothes.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 am

simonn wrote:The way I see it is thus...

I spend about 10 hours a week commuting 48km a day with about 700-1000M of climbing (depending on what source you want to believe) in heat, rain, dust storms (well there was one once) etc etc none of which are conducive to riding in work clothes.

So, I could...

1) buy/ride with non-cycling specific clothing to satisfy some, IMHO idiot's, aesthetic and/or social sensibilities and deal with the chafing and smell

or

2) buy/ride with cycle specific clothing which is comfortable, doesn't smell (as much) and dries out during the day should it have rained in the morning.

Basically, I'm not stoopid and don't really care if some newb (or potential newb) or old hand is put off by me riding in whatever I want to ride. If they are that small minded, because if me riding in lycra is a genuine reason for them not cycling (or whatever, really) they certainly are small minded, they, IMHO, deserve no value placed on their opinion on anything and I certainly do not care if such petty people cycle or not.

However, should I ride a few km to the beach, shops around to mum's or the in-laws etc I'll more than likely just wear "normal" clothes.


+1 except that I rarely if ever do short trips to shops, etc (and for me it's 40km to the nearest beach :))

Always lycra for me.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5943
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AUbicycles, Yahoo [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers