titanium v carbon.

RonK

Re: titanium v carbon.

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, if he not been put off, he should look at these Sabbath bikes (I have a Sabbath Silk Route).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 am

Looks like I have an opportunity to purchase a Moots frame in my size 5 years old including fork. Currently have a Chinese Carbon FM098, that i'm more than happy with. The allure of a Titanium setup with my existing 11s Super Record gruppo is overwhelming.

Was planning on buying a Full-Sus MTB, but now this thing has popped up, I just don't know.

(Yes I do realise that posting online in this thread is just like asking for affirmation)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 am

clydesmcdale wrote:(Yes I do realise that posting online in this thread is just like asking for affirmation)
too late
buy
buy
buy
what size is the fm098? *nudge* *nudge*

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 am

clydesmcdale wrote:Looks like I have an opportunity to purchase a Moots frame in my size 5 years old including fork. Currently have a Chinese Carbon FM098, that i'm more than happy with. The allure of a Titanium setup with my existing 11s Super Record gruppo is overwhelming.

Was planning on buying a Full-Sus MTB, but now this thing has popped up, I just don't know.

(Yes I do realise that posting online in this thread is just like asking for affirmation)
No regrets purchase, seems to me.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:00 am

jasonc wrote:
clydesmcdale wrote:(Yes I do realise that posting online in this thread is just like asking for affirmation)
too late
buy
buy
buy
what size is the fm098? *nudge* *nudge*
61cm, selling it would take the edge off it, but would also be nice to have 2 bikes.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:09 am

clydesmcdale wrote:61cm, selling it would take the edge off it, but would also be nice to have 2 bikes.
you mean you don't have N+1? :shock:

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 am

By definition, everyone does.
I have an old SS hardtail MTB as well and that's it. My kids have more bikes than me

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 am

jasonc wrote:you mean you don't have N+1? :shock:
clydesmcdale wrote:By definition, everyone does.
In the words of Manuel... Que!?

No person has N+1 bikes! :P

(Because 'N' is defined as the number of bikes that you have. N+1 is supposable the number of bikes you want!)

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 am

human909 wrote:
jasonc wrote:you mean you don't have N+1? :shock:
clydesmcdale wrote:By definition, everyone does.
In the words of Manuel... Que!?

No person has N+1 bikes! :P

(Because 'N' is defined as the number of bikes that you have. N+1 is supposable the number of bikes you want!)
To clarify, as N+1 is not a solid state, everyone is in a fluid state of N+1. Should of originally said "is" rather than "does"

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 am

put it this way, you can always buy another FM098, easily.

Moots dont pop up everyday :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 am

my apologies. 2 bikes should be the minimum anyway.

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 am

Who wants to play a game of "stupid questions from silly n00bs"? Today I'll be playing the part of the n00b.

My next upgrade I'll be wanting to move from my current hardtail mountain bike to a drop bar road bike. I'll definitely be wanting a gear rack on the back of the bike because I absolutely loathe wearing a backpack while cycling - prefer having my back free to evaporate/cool rather than sweat/heat being held in by something on my back. From what I've gathered, Carbon bikes 99% of the time won't take gear racks.

Budgeting around $2000 give or take $1000, am I laughing for even glancing at titanium? I can't seem to find prices anywhere so I can't even tell if my pondering titanium is a hilarious concept or a potentially realistic one. Or for this price range, am I best off just hoping to find the few Carbon bikes that can take racks but mostly looking at steel?
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 am

BastardSheep wrote:Who wants to play a game of "stupid questions from silly n00bs"? Today I'll be playing the part of the n00b.

My next upgrade I'll be wanting to move from my current hardtail mountain bike to a drop bar road bike. I'll definitely be wanting a gear rack on the back of the bike because I absolutely loathe wearing a backpack while cycling - prefer having my back free to evaporate/cool rather than sweat/heat being held in by something on my back. From what I've gathered, Carbon bikes 99% of the time won't take gear racks.

Budgeting around $2000 give or take $1000, am I laughing for even glancing at titanium? I can't seem to find prices anywhere so I can't even tell if my pondering titanium is a hilarious concept or a potentially realistic one. Or for this price range, am I best off just hoping to find the few Carbon bikes that can take racks but mostly looking at steel?
This;

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store ... -main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably get it to your door a little over $2.5k

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Wow, that's pretty much spot on. Thank you. :)
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:07 pm

BastardSheep wrote:Budgeting around $2000 give or take $1000, am I laughing for even glancing at titanium? I can't seem to find prices anywhere so I can't even tell if my pondering titanium is a hilarious concept or a potentially realistic one.
Not at all.

You can even go custom for that sort of money :-D

My custom Ti disc-brake road / cross bike came in pretty close to my $2k budget - including a fair allowance for the parts I would have had to buy if I didn't re-use them.

The starting price for my negotiations with XACD was $800 delivered for the frame. You can go with their "standard" geometry, or change whatever you like, for free, other than legitimate cost-up changes (add-on bits that actually change the cost of building... although not by anywhere near what they add to the bill, as mentioned in my thread). Changing the rear drop-outs, getting a brushed finish, and adding a pay-pal surcharge (to avoid paying bank fees for a wire transfer) tallied up to $1015 for mine. FWIW, putting rack mounts on the seat stays was included in the original $800 quote.

Their standard build spec is said to be fairly conservative on tubing sizes, making for a relatively strong, heavy, robust frame (heavy as far as Ti goes... reckon on ~1.5kg for a medium sized frame). You can go either way from there, depending on your preferences. Butted tubing costs more, but smaller (or bigger) diameter and thinner (or thicker) walls are usually a no-cost change.

If you want a $2k Ti bike, my suggestion would be to buy a $1200 generic off-brand bike (Cell or Azzuri or Reid or whatever) and a ~$900 XACD frame. Swap everything over, and sell the unused generic frame for $100 on eBay. If you can stretch the budget, you can start with a higher-end donor bike. I chose not do that because I needed a disc wheelset, disc-specific fork, disc brake calipers, longer brake cables... and I had some drivetrain parts to re-use.

You can spend many days reading opinions on XACD's quality, workmanship, typically Asian business communication style and experiences on various forums. Some customers have had less positive experiences than others... but on the whole, I reckon you get what you pay for... and then some.

I love my cheap Ti bike to bits.

tim

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:13 pm

My US built ti Koiled frame is for sale in the classifieds here.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want it gone so make a resonable offer if it fits you.
It is 6 months old, butted tubing, built by Generic Cycles who do a heap of contract work for the bigger guys.
All the info is in my ad including the geommetry drawing.