FatPom

sigh

Postby FatPom » Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 pm

big sigh :(

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed May 07, 2008 10:17 pm

cheap post?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 pm

cheer up pom. can't be all bad can it?

:D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 am

Is a sigh better than a winge? I reckon so.

Cheer up mate - it could be worse: you could be in Engerlund .... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Thu May 08, 2008 7:54 am

Cheer up mate - it could be worse: you could be in Engerlund .... Wink

End of 09, counting the days :D

Anyhow, I digress. The 'big sigh' is a realisation that I really do think my triathlon days are coming to an end :( Last year I managed two Half IronMan races (Yeppoon and Canberra), but the back pain was excruciating in the run training (I have one mid and one minor bulging disc that kept me off the bike for 18mths in 04/05, and i had trouble walking).

Managed to get to a point where I could ride again, and run a little, mainly through working with my physio for 18mths.

After Canberra HIM in Dec 07 I swore it was my last one, but the thought of knocking 40mins off of my time at a return race in Yeppoon in Aug, got the better of me :oops: Been building some good (for me) bike strength, and have been completing all the run training, BUT it is coming at a high price, and I haven't been walking well at all for 3 days and in a fair bit of distress.

My plan was to use the eliptical runner at the gym to supplement the running, and it does work well, but like climbing on the bike, the only way to train for a long run, is to, well, run for a long time :wink:

3mths to go until the race, I could probably blindly struggle on (it gets way more intense from here) or decide that this is point that I stick to cycling and the gym. Mrs FP would much prefer the latter. I'm a bit worried about longer term damage than I am about shorter term pain, but boy it hurts at the moment.

I guess re-reading this, the answer is obvious, just stick to ride,gym, core work. But it still makes me a bit sad :(

Tris are very very addictive (for me), but the constant juggling of 3 disciplines, getting to the pool etc can wear one down after a bit. But still a hard decision.

Of course the wallet would be a bit healthier and with holidays planned on Jeju Island (Korea) and three weeks in Vegas/California, maybe its not all bad :wink:

Thanks for reading.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 08, 2008 8:23 am

Guess the bulging disc isn't bad enough for the knife yet. Otherwise I would have thought swimming would have been best for your back problem. Typically it's part of the rehab program for anyone with back problems.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu May 08, 2008 9:15 am

sogood wrote: Typically it's part of the rehab program for anyone with back problems.
Careful with this, alot of twisting in some strokes. Sounds like a good reason to stop running, cycling however :) . Worked for my back anyway( microdiscectomy L5/S1 '01). Each injury is different though.