Road rager takes out Aussie cycle champ pack

sandman

Road rager takes out Aussie cycle champ pack

Postby sandman » Thu May 08, 2008 10:16 am

Just happened in Sydney this morning, whats next, the idiot just rides though the pack ?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Road rager takes out Aussie cycle champ pack

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 08, 2008 10:28 am

sandman wrote:Just happened in Sydney this morning, whats next, the idiot just rides though the pack ?

Might of been the Collusie (spelling) ride, if so they would of been doing about 45kph. Hope they got the number plate.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 am

Hope the guy will get caught and taught a lesson.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 am

I think this is typical of our emerging society, no one is prepared to wait, no one is prepared to be courteous to others, its all out for themselves. Remember the days when you walked down the footpath and people smiled at you, said hello. When people asked how you were going and had a genuine interest in you. People opened doors, didn't push in while in a line

Those days are becoming a distant memory

peter

Postby peter » Thu May 08, 2008 10:47 am

Police - including an off-duty officer who witnessed the crash - quickly closed the lane down while they investigated the incident.

It is understood they know who the driver of the car is, and are attempting to contact him now.

It is expected he will be charged, including with failing to stop at the scene of an accident and negligent or dangerous driving.

A moment of anger has caused himself into deep !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 08, 2008 10:58 am

Pete

Just read the update... They should get the driver and drop him into the middle of the Velodrome on a race night and see if he gets out alive.. Then the bastard will know what it feels like...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 08, 2008 10:59 am

Can't say I will miss Sydney roads in the slightest...!!!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 08, 2008 11:00 am

Assualt with a deadly weapon!.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu May 08, 2008 11:22 am

Another of the riders, Nick Cooper, said: "This whole incident really exemplified the escalating road rage towards cyclists happening on Sydney's roads.

"Road rage seems to occur with or without provocation, and regardless of whether cyclists are riding in a law abiding way, or slowing down traffic.

Motorists jeered

"A perfect example of the enmity were the jeers and taunts of several drivers (more than 3 separate drivers that I noticed) making their way past the aftermath of the accident, despite the fact that a police car and two ambulances were on the scene treating seriously injured people."

I am sure this is not just a sydney attitude but aust in general. Wasn't there a post on here recently about a bloke who had cycled around the world and gave our drivers the gong for worst in the world?

skcycle

Postby skcycle » Thu May 08, 2008 11:43 am

That really is terrible, I feel for all the riders. I hope all recover quickly.

All I can say is I hope they get the guy, take away his licence for good and that each of the riders sues him for all the damage done.

Having lived in Singapore for the last 2.5 years, I really can't say that I miss Sydney roads in general, but in Singapore the drivers are actually worse, this sort of thing (albeit on a smaller scale) happens quite frequently here. Not because of any malicious intent, but simply due to lack of consideration and care for everyone else on the road.

On a recent trip to Sydney, I hired a bike and went out riding and actually found that the vast majority of drivers were quite considerate and patient (I must admit I was surprised as I was not used to this). In Singapore, riding during peak hour is the equivalent of a death wish.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Nothing to do with cycling, but follows on the theme of road rage.

It was reported that a 17yo was beaten unconscious in front of this blind father by a road rager after an unspecified incident.

He died later in hospital (Adelaide).

Maybe, it pays to be cautious rather than abusing someone who has done wrong, as the end result may be worse. No excuse though, but makes me think twice about abusing an idiot. I have a daughter and wifde to think about.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 08, 2008 1:05 pm

More details in here

http://www.smh.com.au/news/beijing2008/furious-driver-takes-out-50strong-cycle-pack/2008/05/08/1210131112608.html

Witnessed by a policeman and known to the police.

Lucky no one was killed.
Last edited by mikesbytes on Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Aside from any punishment forthcoming, the driver and passenger should be there for the Ride of Silence.

Jim

Dial

Postby Dial » Thu May 08, 2008 1:34 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Assualt with a deadly weapon!.

Unless he claims he sneezed and accidentally hit the brakes. Then they'll just let him off. That excuse has worked in the past. :?

daacha

Postby daacha » Thu May 08, 2008 1:43 pm

I've driven past those guys on Southern Cross dr. They are usually moving at a good speed.

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Looks like the story is getting bigger as the day goes on... A little excerpt:

"This is our training ground. We can't ride round and round a football stadium at 60kmh. The law states we are allowed on the road. A brutal death match on the road is not going to solve anything," he said.

"We're so lucky somebody isn't dead, we were pushing 60kmh, sprawled all over the road with trucks going past. I really don't know how someone isn't dead, that's all I can say."

I can only dream of being able to push 60km/hr in a pack !!! Nice...Pity this !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! ruined everyones day

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 08, 2008 4:08 pm

I don't feel comfortable riding on main roads that don't have a shoulder e.g the Hume Hwy. You're putting your life in someone else's hands and people in Sydney are in a hurry, not good.

Agree with what Sandman said, look at someone walking past now and smile you'll likely get a "What the #%*(AT) are you looking at" :x .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 08, 2008 4:20 pm

sandman wrote:Looks like the story is getting bigger as the day goes on... A little excerpt:

"This is our training ground. We can't ride round and round a football stadium at 60kmh. The law states we are allowed on the road. A brutal death match on the road is not going to solve anything," he said.

"We're so lucky somebody isn't dead, we were pushing 60kmh, sprawled all over the road with trucks going past. I really don't know how someone isn't dead, that's all I can say."

I can only dream of being able to push 60km/hr in a pack !!! Nice...Pity this !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! ruined everyones day

60kph may be a little rounded up. With a strong tail wind, it can be a quick piece of road, I've sat on 47kph on the same piece of road with the other riders following me.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu May 08, 2008 4:25 pm

Chuck wrote:I don't feel comfortable riding on main roads that don't have a shoulder e.g the Hume Hwy. You're putting your life in someone else's hands and people in Sydney are in a hurry, not good.

Mate, you ride anywhere, drive anywhere, do anything your life is in other people's hands. Someone can always run you off the road in your car, run you down on foot, drive onto the shoulder and knock you over, etc.

That said, I don't like riding on major roads with no shoulder either. High speed/low traffic country roads are more dangerous though.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu May 08, 2008 4:58 pm

I deleted the comments I made here because I am living to through some similar incidents and whilst they contained no conspiracy, my comments were of an excessively passionate nature.

My appologies.
Last edited by MountGower on Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu May 08, 2008 5:22 pm

You don't need to concoct a conspiracy theory based on 'cowardice', it does your argument and standing no service whatsoever.

A jury of 12 motorists is highly unlikely to convict 1 motorist of an infringement they can conceive of themselves committing... prosecutors know this, defense lawyers know this. We (all motorists, since I am one too) all need to understand that the victims could be us, our friends, family etc. This is not an abstract.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu May 08, 2008 5:27 pm

It's not a conspiracy theory, I am, as I clearly stated, living through it at the moment. I couldn't give a rats arse how you see it effecting my standing.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu May 08, 2008 5:44 pm

I apologise. I could have worded it with better temper, especially at a time such as this... my sympathys lie with all victims of such 'accident's'. They are not 'accidents' or 'incidents'.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 08, 2008 5:59 pm

Have many of you experienced driving overseas? This is not a cheeky question, rather in my experience cycling and riding in Europe, driving is generally more relaxed. There are always exceptions and between countries / cities / towns and depending on the time of day the driver aggression factor varies.

In Australia driving is generally a more frustrating and aggressive activity. There is lot of rub-off where a relaxed driver is infected by the nervousness and stress of other drivers. Taking the time to calculate the mathematics of driving prove that the time saving of speeding or offensive driving is marginal. I would be interested in knowing how the Roads and Traffic Authorities for each state/territory are actively targeting road rage and with which results.

Proposed New Road Signs

I hope that the training athletes recover quickly and are not impeded in their chances for qualifications. The punishment for the driver should set a benchmark for other road users in the future considering doing something stupid.

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu May 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Absolutely unbelievable, but I guess something like this was always on the cards. At least no one was killed in the incident today. I certainly hope the driver is punished severely and the cyclists are compensated for their loss.

Regarding driving overseas - I've just come back from the UK which has plenty of narrow roads and is extremely congested, but driving there (although still not great in terms of attitudes to cyclists) is a doddle compared to driving here in Sydney. There is a a general level of impatience amongst all drivers here. People just aren't courteous on the roads - clearly seen if you need to change lanes and find other drivers speeding up/slowing down just to make sure you can't.