ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

The 2nd Womble

ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 pm

From @Crankstar_Coach on Twitter an hour ago:

"A Current Affair is planning a speed trap & camera on Mt Coot-tha tomorrow morning in hopes of a negative cycling story. Pls RT @cyclingtips"
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

vbplease

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby vbplease » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tip - I'll be there tmrw morning! Any specific time/place? I'll be sure to say hello :D

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Better get out the tracy grimshaw mask then. Maybe a bunch of us could bring useless props along and see how many times we can make the final cut. I'm sure I could mount a ironing board to the handlebars or lug a CityCycle bike up here :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:26 pm

Sorry Vb, I guess Channel 9 will be very careful not to give anything else away tomorrow. Could be either side of the pointy bit, so take care. It seems some are looking at Strava for top speeds tonight, so do t be surprised if a few nuts have the 50mm carbons and race faces on as well.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 pm

All they'd need to do is set up a camera at Thorn St at East Brisbane, across from the Mobray Park citycat carpark and they'd likely catch 300+ cyclists zooming through the stop sign like i see every commute home. Hang on, car drivers do that too, so it'd likely not be as anti cyclist as first thought, but with some selective editing it could be...

Purt

Postby Purt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 am

They were there around 6:30. They set up in the wrong spot, they were about 100m past the slaughter falls turn off facing towards the city. Did my part rolled past doing 45.

Unless they moved later/earlier they probably caught more cars than bikes.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 am

Bonus! :)

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 am

It may be my turn to set up on Coot-tha soon with a speed gun and video camera to wait for the Channel 9 news crews that treat both sides of the lump like Bathurst.

CRV

Postby CRV » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 am

They were on the front face on the side of the right hander going down, before the T junction, would be grand if nobody gave them what they were looking for and hence making them waste their time :lol: :lol:

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:03 pm

They can finish their story with a promo for the TDU, "highlights of todays stage can be seen at some random time well after whatever you will find it published in your TV guide"

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 pm

They later moved to the downhill section 500m or so before of the main climb at the back. Also the wrong spot :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 pm

they were also on the front tuesday morning.
one guy this morning (being interviewed at the bottom near slaughter falls car park) seemed to have a radar gun. did not appear to be a police radar gun (looked like a toy - can he be arrested for having an unlicensed gun in public?)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 pm

unless they have recently had that radar gun tested and certified accurate, then none of the speeds they may have collected are worth their weight in effort.

plus the location must also be verified for no electrical interference which may affect such readings

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:38 pm

gretaboy wrote:unless they have recently had that radar gun tested and certified accurate, then none of the speeds they may have collected are worth their weight in effort.

plus the location must also be verified for no electrical interference which may affect such readings
It's not a court of law. Ch 9 won't let mere facts get in the way of a story.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:40 pm

RonK wrote:It's not a court of law. Ch 9 won't let mere facts get in the way of a story.
ROFL

good one
Cycling is in my BNA

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:They can finish their story with a promo for the TDU, "highlights of todays stage can be seen at some random time well after whatever you will find it published in your TV guide"
+1

:lol: :lol: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:31 pm

gretaboy wrote:unless they have recently had that radar gun tested and certified accurate, then none of the speeds they may have collected are worth their weight in effort.

They can just make up a story with some average Mr or Mrs Public saying they were terrified by this pack of Lycra louts - rinse and repeat... :roll:

One more reason I hate the way this country is going. Believe me, if I was mobile and able to get there - I would have berated them. I might have conducted an interview with them too, jamming a microphone in their faces like they do. I don't think anything could have stopped me doing so.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:00 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:It may be my turn to set up on Coot-tha soon with a speed gun and video camera to wait for the Channel 9 news crews that treat both sides of the lump like Bathurst.
Good idea. Then give it to Channel 7 :) Today Tonight love taking the mickey out of CA.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:28 pm

CA and TT are the most terrible shows ever, I cannot believe they get air time.

I do have some friends, only two thankfully, that believe everything they are fed by these shows.
Wish I lived in Brissy would have loved to have crashed into the setup saying blinded by the laser gun as I have no windscreen!
Or squeeze my water bottle at them, the wife hates that, I can only assume Tracey Grimforshore does too.

Apparently next weeks article is about cyclists are driving coffee shops out of business. :shock:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm

RonK wrote:

It's not a court of law. Ch 9 won't let mere facts get in the way of a story.
When they ran a similar approach in Sydney they used a "Licensed speed gun operator" - except of course for the fact that I can't find anyone that issues a "speed gun license" :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 am

i want my 30 minutes back. I watch ACA last night and the story wasn't on. my brain hurts.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 am

Look at the upside. By sitting through 30 minutes of it you killed approximately 100,000 brain cells. Tonight it wont hurt quite so much, the night after even less. Within a few weeks you will be able to sit comfortably numb on the couch and let it wash over you.

Or so I am told, I don't recall the last time I lasted more than 2 minutes before my brain exploded.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 am

Wakatuki wrote:CA and TT are the most terrible shows ever, I cannot believe they get air time.

k:
It feeds the masses.

I use to enjoy watching it for the LOLS. I would get a good belly laugh from some of the outrage.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 pm

The report will be on tomorrow night (14/02/13).

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 am

Did anyone see the BBC War on our roads? Watched the other day. Strong arguments from all corners, great to see so many cyclists about.
Dont think I will get to see this Brisbane edition as it's valentines night.... But no doubt will watch it on the net later.