Considerate Motorists! 2013

JessicaAlba

Re: Considerate Motorists! 2013

Postby JessicaAlba » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm

oxonabike wrote:
JessicaAlba wrote:Despite Cairns' drivers reputation for being cyclist-hating red necks (which, it has to be said, most are), I have lately found many to be very courteous when out on the road. Oftentimes, I will see a car a good 400m in front of me, looking to make a right hand turn across my path, or coming out of a left side street, which will just sit there and wait for me to pass...it's really quite refreshing to be given so much space and time.

I do, of course, show my gratitude with a small nod or wave as I pass, as I think such gestures help to promote continued courtesy...and an overall fuzzy feeling amongst the community at large :)
I'm wondering if this is a result of our local red-necks favoured daily news publication being somewhat pro cyclist awareness since the unfortunate incident with Tanya Roneberg? Also the DownUnder coaches with the huge 1.5 metre signs on the back can't be hurting either. But I too have noticed many occasions where cars have sat back and just waited recently, often enough to consider posting my observations in here. I'll get around to it eventually!
Ahh, yes...the Cairns Post, that bastion of cutting edge journalism and impeccable grammar... And no doubt you are referring to the very Down Under buses that give a solid 300mm clearance as they pass by...very nearly got cleaned up on my Friday arvo jaunt last week!!

But I digress... I had thought it had more to do with the 1200 lumens of eyeball searing light recently mounted to my handle bars that had people taking notice, though you may well be right, re the above news-rag. There also seems to be a plethora of "Share the Road" stickers visible around the place these days, some even attached to vehicles sporting the mandatory dog cages and R M Williams longhorn advertising... Maybe times they are in fact a changing??
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 pm

There also seems to be a plethora of "Share the Road" stickers visible around the place these days, some even attached to vehicles sporting the mandatory dog cages and R M Williams longhorn advertising... Maybe times they are in fact a changing??
Ah yes, good call. Have observed that myself. Possible that the ride for Tanya turnout shook up the community a bit. If so, its a shame that it takes a tragedy to bring about change in attitudes, but historically, I guess that's how 'improvements' get started.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 am

I really like this thread. Some..many...forum members characterise all motorists as careless psycopaths which is clearly untrue and engenders an unconstructive antagonism. This thread reminds us that motorists are just like cyclists; they run the gamut from moron to angel.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:03 am

Not all of us RM lovin, rum swillin, hunting & fishermen hate cyclists :lol: Actually, the only thing of mine that doesn't have longhorns on it is my bike... Hmm, I better change that asap :D

I had a few nice drivers out there today, one lady actually merged from the right lane into the left lane behind me and then proceeded to not try and run me over at the lights. Then another lady let me out of the bicycle lane into traffic with a massive smile! It's amazing how one day, all you run into is idiots, then the next, there's people waving and smiling at you... Either that or they're thinking 'god, better help this idiot get out of the drizzle and wind'. hahaha

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:08 am

A big thumbs up to an Alvaro Transport truck driver this morning, slowing down on an on-ramp to Adelaide Ave to let me through in front of him (and the massive bank of traffic behind him). I've sent an email of appreciation to the company in addition to the on-scene thumbs-up.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:14 am

lobstermash wrote:A big thumbs up to an Alvaro Transport truck driver this morning, slowing down on an on-ramp to Adelaide Ave to let me through in front of him (and the massive bank of traffic behind him). I've sent an email of appreciation to the company in addition to the on-scene thumbs-up.
Nice to hear, well after another TRUCK related death in Brisbane, if I were still the transport manager at a haulage firm all drivers would have had a TXT or memo.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:27 am

I was impressed with a number of car drivers this morning that gave our cyclists heaps of room on Wynnum Rd approaching Creek Rd city bound. One 4WD driver made sure he waited until a small group of cyclists got to the lights instead of cutting across in front of them to turn left into Creek Rd.
OI onya bike!!!

stretts

Postby stretts » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm

Nice truck driver waving me to go past - was a bit concerned he might do something unexpected so I slowed down

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Passed a Rural Fire Service truck yesterday morning at the lights, gave them a thumbs up - they are doing it tough out there in the Blue Mountains.

Had a couple positive experiences with patient drivers on the new loop yesterday... and it's amusing how much the bunch pulls their finger out to get out of the way and make life easier for people who will wait. If I was a driver who wanted to give cyclists a hard time, I'd patiently wait behind them and watch them fall over themselves trying to move out of my way in appreciation :D

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:16 pm

About a year ago on a country road, see a car coming the other way slow right down and begin to pull over onto the dirt. I was thinking "Say What are you doing?", then I hear the semi coming up behind me... She had pulled over to give the semi room to pass me with plenty of room to spare.

I was suitably stunned by her forethought. Gave a wave which was reciprocated.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

JakeWilliams

Postby JakeWilliams » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Not sure if it's just a case of chance but I can think of more kind drivers from my last handfull of rides than my last 20-30 rides prior (about 12 months ago due to injury). I do wonder whether the big publicity the riders v motorists 'debate' seems to be getting has on those that hadn't even considered the matter before. The last few rides have included such highlights as allowing me across a dual carriage way to turn right at a roundabout, not trying to squeeze in between me and an island and my all time favourite; waiting for me to pass before getting out of a parked vehicle.

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32 pm

To the flat bed truck driver exiting the M2 onto Delhi Rd, thank you for restoring my faith somewhat in professional heavy vehicle drivers. I was coming along Delhi Rd in the bike lane, and a car had slowed to let the truck onto Delhi Rd, and I was far enough back that 9.9/10 truck drivers would have gone and I would have had to stopped whilst the traffic slowly went forward. This driver acknowledged me and waved the driver through acknowledging that I was going to be coming through before he could complete the turn.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 am

I was going to email the local bus company to thank the driver who patiently waited behind me through the Eleebana S bends until I pulled over (by choice). Unfortunately I didn't note the bus number relying on my camera, that I had forgotten to start recording. Anyway, big thanks Mr(or Mrs) bus driver. Hope he saw a wave of gratitude.

Edit: after a PM suggestion I have used the time and place and forwarded my thanks to the bus mob on their contact form.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:55 am

The roundabout at the intersection of Oceanside Promenade and Ocean Reef Road is probably my least favourite intersection on my northbound commute to the office as it has a wide approach and to often stupid drivers force their way pass putting me at serious risk all to save a second or two.

So this morning I was pleasantly surprised by the driver of the Ocean Reef Out Of School Hours Care vehicle, OROOSH, who not only allowed to ride through the roundabout but also maintained a safe distance behind me.

A big thank you to the driver for showing just how easy it is to be considerate to other road users, thank you.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks to the driver yesterday for giving plenty of clearance overtaking on a narrow road. Although I'm not sure the driver coming the other way appreciated the near head-on...

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:09 am

Its funny but I often can't get the plates of considerate drivers, because they're not driving right up my clacker and my camera is not in great shape and you can't pick out number plates of vehicles following at a safe distance. (New mobius is in the post).

Thanks to camry [something like] 511LXE this morning...

Less thanks to the motorbike rider who yelled out some helpful advice "get on the footpath" as he went past... Yeh. At 40kmh I'm going to use the footpath :roll:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for letting me in after I shoulder checked win308.

I googled win 308 out of curiousity, to discover maybe I should have stayed much further away from that particular 4WD :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Thanks for letting me in after I shoulder checked win308.

I googled win 308 out of curiousity, to discover maybe I should have stayed much further away from that particular 4WD :)
maybe they've learnt their lesson after a "talking to"?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 pm

jasonc wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Thanks for letting me in after I shoulder checked win308.

maybe they've learnt their lesson after a "talking to"?
No I think its a reference to Winchester .308 calibre :)

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I was a pedestrian, rather than a cyclist, but cudos and thanks to the drivers of the two silver cars who stopped and waved me to walk through in the shopping centre car park in Morwell this morning.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I was riding along in the on-road cycling lane on a main road in Canberra this morning (Northbourne Ave) when a P-plater in a VN Commodore went past in the lane next to me. Left blinker comes on so I slow down and so did the Commodore so I waved for him to turn and he gave me a thank-you wave back! :)

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Mansell Bulk Haulage driver yesterday driving a tipper and dog. I was heading along a rural road (Farleigh - Yakapari Rd in Mackay) coming up a hill that has a concrete and hot mix plant off to the left when I saw the truck approaching in my mirror from behind. I heard the truckie engine braking and changing down gears as he wiped off speed, as it's a busy plant I was expecting a dangerous left hook (would'nt be the first time there). But I was surprised when he sat behind me until he had clear view over the crest of the hill before pulling out and overtaking me with a good 2 metres clearance.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Rav4 the other night moving back to let me go across the front of the vehicle (I was on a shared path).

Usually they just stay put and make you wait. Nice of the driver. They got a friendly wave.
Ross wrote:I was riding along in the on-road cycling lane on a main road in Canberra this morning (Northbourne Ave) when a P-plater in a VN Commodore went past in the lane next to me. Left blinker comes on so I slow down and so did the Commodore so I waved for him to turn and he gave me a thank-you wave back! :)
Nice.

roobab

Postby roobab » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Riding home along martin st elsternwick yesterday arvo. I shot through the round about as my right was c!ear but had an oohh sht moment as a police van screeched to a halt approaching the round about from the left. Good to see the plod also know the road rules

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:06 am

Thanks to a man in a black Mazda3 this evening as I headed out of Mt Lawley along Beaufort, waited for me to change lanes in front of him so I could go past the row of parked cars. In fact I think he slowed down as he was at my shoulder, employing the merge rule for me. Top driver :)