Best bike maintenance book?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Best bike maintenance book?

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 pm

I was going to do a maintenance course, but when the Pedal Power course costs about 150 bucks to do all 4 (and 35 bucks just to do basic repairs), and when the local tafe runs a course that costs nearly 200, I thought it was worth getting a maintenance book while I'm making an order from Book Depository anyway.

My bikes a hybrid, so it's more mtb than road bike - but I envisage having a road bike by the end of the year, and I'm not that technically or mechanically minded (in any walk of life) that I need something high level. I just need something general, with good pics and good step by step guides - and to not have to buy a new manual when I get a road bike. (I've heard only great things about the Zinn books, but decided against them for that reason)
Anyone have any experience with any of these books? I had no idea how many there would be!

Chris Sidwells - Bike Repair Manual (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Bike-Repair-Manual-Chris-Sidwells/9781405365499)

Tym Manley - Ultimate Guide to Bicycle Repairs and Upgrades ( http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Ultimat ... 1781060285 )

Mark Storey - The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance ( http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Bike-Ma ... 0857331182 )

Mel Allwood - The Total Bike Maintenance Book: DIY Repairs Made Easy ( http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Total-B ... 1847329806 )

Todd Downs - The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair (Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair for Road & Mountain Bikes) ( http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Bicycli ... ategory-12 )

If anything, I'm leaning towards the Downs book, based on what web reviews I could find. But I'd be interested if anyone has any first hand experience to say yay or nay to any of these books.
fatdudeonabike

by BNA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 pm

BNA

Re: Best bike maintenance book?

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 pm

None of the above.
Zinn is the best of the best.

http://cyclingcentralshop.com.au/Zinn-a ... -1861.html
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Keep your money in your pocket. Use the Park Tools repair guides.

Also there is a thread here somewhere with links to online copies of some of the best books available.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:42 pm

RonK wrote:Keep your money in your pocket. Use the Park Tools repair guides.

Also there is a thread here somewhere with links to online copies of some of the best books available.

I dont like to look at screens for too long, my eyes arent that good (I can usually only sit in front of a computer screen for 20 minutes at a time).
This is the same reason that I wanted a book, as opposed to just watching Youtube videos.

Anyway, I'd read about the Park Tools guides everywhere that I looked at reviews - in particular their "Big Blue Book".
So managed to score that for 32 bucks with Wiggle's free postage for Australia day - and the Pantani book for 11 bucks :)
fatdudeonabike

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:02 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:I'd read about the Park Tools guides everywhere that I looked at reviews - in particular their "Big Blue Book".
So managed to score that for 32 bucks with Wiggle's free postage for Australia day - and the Pantani book for 11 bucks :)

You could always print the odd page for reference at the workbench, but the Big Blue Book is a good practical choice.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:14 pm

+1 for the two Zinn books, that give technical backgrounds as well as how-to procedures.
clackers

Postby outnabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi fatdudeonabike,
Just had a not from Amazon , They have on Amazon the Park tools book for around $20 -00
I will try to post the pic.
Last edited by outnabike on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
outnabike

Postby Philipthelam » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:38 pm

I borrowed zinns book from the library and it is great. The new edition comes out soon so I will buy that when it comes out.
Philipthelam

Postby BoardRider » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:15 am

+ 1 Zinn books
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown
BoardRider

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi fatdudeonabike,
Just had a not from Amazon , They have on Amazon the Park tools book for around $20 -00
I will try to post the pic.

Thanks man - Amazon was the first place I looked when I kept hearing such positive things about it, but I ruled it out when the postage costs for Australia were almost as much as the book itself. I'd actually put a line through the Big Blue Book until I saw that it was pretty cheap on Wiggle, and that they also had free postage - and that they had the Pantani book cheaper than Book Depository (where I had it sitting in my cart and ready to order).

I'll definitely be looking at the Zinn road bike book when I get a road bike - but as I said, when I currently ride a hybrid, I didnt want to end up forking out for both books.
fatdudeonabike

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
Anyway, I'd read about the Park Tools guides everywhere that I looked at reviews - in particular their "Big Blue Book".

You might find the Park Tools book a bit to roadie orientated for your hybrid. When I had my flat bar I found the Zinn's Mountain Bike book was more suitable and at times I went with the Park Tools. Probably having both is a better option for you.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby outnabike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:13 pm

I would definitely wait for the latest publications as the reviews here on the Zinn book sound as though no photos and bad tech drawings make it look a bit less than it should. Strange as local comments were positive.
I definitely would have a look at a copy before I bought one.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/resources/book/ ... 03crx.aspx
outnabike

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

outnabike wrote:I would definitely wait for the latest publications as the reviews here on the Zinn book sound as though no photos and bad tech drawings make it look a bit less than it should. Strange as local comments were positive.

4.31 out of 5 for a rating at MTBR seems pretty good to me.

I have always found the drawings good and when I started out I had no clue whatsoever with bicycle maintenance; this was the first book I used. That said if the new edition is close to coming out I would probably wait.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to General discussion