New Bike Mag

RonK

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Didn't take long to go completely OT, did it?
Did someone say somethinmg about a Maserati ?????

This is a car forum isn't it .... ???
The consensus has been that this new bike mag is not so good, so enough said. This one on the other hand is very interesting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:52 pm

I picked a copy up the other day, and I don't find it to bad.

But I'm not spoilt by having heaps to choose from up here, seems the local newsagents don't get many cycling mags in.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm

On the subject of Ride, I like bikes from the bunch! Also the related section on local rides, and I think their bike reviews are excellent. Generally, the quality of their journalism is high, and I like the thorough approach they take. What I don't like are advertorials and too much detail on pro racing (eg, pages of results).
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:27 pm

MREJ wrote:On the subject of Ride, I like bikes from the bunch! Also the related section on local rides, and I think their bike reviews are excellent. Generally, the quality of their journalism is high, and I like the thorough approach they take. What I don't like are advertorials and too much detail on pro racing (eg, pages of results).
And guys who are 50kg overweight but reckon they ride 400km plus per week. :shock:

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 am

sumgy wrote:
MREJ wrote:On the subject of Ride, I like bikes from the bunch! Also the related section on local rides, and I think their bike reviews are excellent. Generally, the quality of their journalism is high, and I like the thorough approach they take. What I don't like are advertorials and too much detail on pro racing (eg, pages of results).
And guys who are 50kg overweight but reckon they ride 400km plus per week. :shock:

You really have a load of sand in your vajayjay don't you.

Who are these 50kg overweight people you speak of? I myself am overweight and have managed a 800+km week.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:49 am

norbs wrote:
sumgy wrote:

You really have a load of sand in your vajayjay don't you.

Who are these 50kg overweight people you speak of? I myself am overweight and have managed a 800+km week.
The ones from Bikes from the Bunch.
800km in a week is impressive.
Are you doing 400km+ EVERY week like these guys talk about?

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 am

sumgy wrote: The ones from Bikes from the Bunch.
800km in a week is impressive.
Are you doing 400km+ EVERY week like these guys talk about?
No I don't but, I think you are being a bit generous with your statement.

I am looking at the previous 3 issues of RIDE. The Bikes of the bunch guys are as listed.

Natalie :55kgs, 300-500/week
Daniel : 68kg, n/a
Kevin : 83kg, 300-400/week
Andrew : 80kg, 2300kms in 6 months
Jay : 72kg, 350/week
Daniel : 77kg, 100-250/week
Allan : 80kg, 200-250/week
Naomi : 65kg, 8000/year
Dave :85kg, 150/week
Mick : 68kg, n/a
Ben : 86kg, 400/week
Neil : 71kg, n/a
Julia : 65kg, 300-250/week
Soren : 82kg, 200-250/week
Jeremy : 82kg, 250-300/week

No one there is 50kg overweight, and not many going at 400km/week either.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 am

I prefer these forums and the BNV forums over any bike magazine. Heaps more useful knowledge in these than in any bike magazines :) .

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 am

il padrone wrote:Couple of good on-line magazines, available for IPad (maybe also android) and in hard-copy

Treadlie Magazine

Bicycle Times
They are good (and available on Android via Sinuous/Google Play Magazines.)

The Aussie MTB magazine Flow is also good for its photography and the tone of its articles. Bit "surfie".

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:12 pm

RonK wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Didn't take long to go completely OT, did it?
Did someone say somethinmg about a Maserati ?????

This is a car forum isn't it .... ???
The consensus has been that this new bike mag is not so good, so enough said. This one on the other hand is very interesting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trust me to go against consensus. I tto-out a two-year subscription. I'll let you know how it goes. As for your choice......well, what can I say?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:26 pm

norbs wrote:
Soren : 82kg, 200-250/week
I rode with him this morning (until i got dropped that is :oops: ) and despite being the better part of 30 yrs older than me he can leave me for dead on really fast flat stuff, exceptionally strong rider, even though he doesn't look unusually fit.

My 2 bobs worth, RIDE is very good, although i flick through all the pages and pages of race results (i mean i've never even heard of half those races). Bicycling Australia i think is good, and there is a UK mag (forget the name atm) that has some good stuff, although i reckon it is a bit too concerned with articles about pros, like a womens weekly with bikes.

That new Bike mag looks to me (and i've only flicked through it mind) very much like Treadlie, trying to be all things to all people and not actually being anything at all. I like to read about all different kinds of cycling, not just racing, but treadlie just doesn't cut it IMO.

Just as an aside, i've been wondering for a while, given how much i LOVE reading the historical stuff in RIDE and Bicycling Australia, would there be a market for a Retro Bikes magazine?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia