Re: Weight Vs Aerodynamics -Wheelset Selection

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 am

winstonw wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
winstonw wrote:...but as Alex has invested significant time in,
that's false, but anyhooo...
winstonw wrote:weight is overrated.
but complying with the rules is not
Alex, if a wheel manufacturer omitted variable wind yaw and velocity, like your charts, they'd only make solid aero disks of "however many kgs Alex decrees".
The reason manufacturers make non solid aero wheels, and the UCI regulations are the way they are, is because solid disks don't handle variable yaw and velocity well.

Keep priming the gallery...
An entire army of strawmen. I'm impressed. Shame you don't devote your talents to something constructive because it's clear you have never, and most likely will never, have anything constructive to add here.

For the rest of the gallery that are interested, here's a table compiling various data sets on wheels and their aerodynamics by yaw angle. Up to you to decide how reliable the data are.
http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/Componen ... amics.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course Aero-Coach deploy technologies that enable us to measure CdA v yaw angle in real time while on the bike. So, ya know, maybe, just maybe I might be in a pretty good place to provide wheel manufacturers with actual field data if they were so interested :wink:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 am

Dear Alex... could you apologise to winston for confusing him with your original response to "weight vs aero" by stating "aero" without prefixing it with "in general" or "as a rule of thumb" so that ignorant people don't go out any buy a track front disk and a rear disk and then bitch about how unrideable the bike is in hurricane conditions.

It was very remiss of you not to consider that people of limited intellect could take it as an abolute.

Edit: wording correction.
Last edited by twizzle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

I have been told to check out this thread (as a mod). Forgive me for sparing myself from an analysis of each post but it looks like it has lightened up a bit now and everying is ok.
Cycling is in my BNA

skull

Postby skull » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 pm

You might need to talk to Alex.

He keeps trying to bring it back on topic.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 pm

skull wrote:You might need to talk to Alex.

He keeps trying to bring it back on topic.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, his constant trolling is getting over the top, frankly... using data and rebuttal comments is just disgusting really. He should continue dragging in unrelated information as much as possible :mrgreen: