Hutch Fusion 3 Tubeless

Brownster

Hutch Fusion 3 Tubeless

Postby Brownster » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Well ordered a set from Wiggle the other day and they arrived. After fitting the new valve and adding the STANS tubes sealant but my issue is
that everytime I go past 95PSI the tyre blows off the rim. Anyone had the same issue?

http://www.this link is broken/hutchinson-fusi ... road-tyre/

Fe

Re: Hutch Fusion 3 Tubeless

Postby Fe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Save that stuff for your dualy. I assume you have a MTB background, as they are the only loonies who do this.

A guy I know use to run the same tyres as a Stans ghetto tubeless training wheel set. He had shimano r500 rims. He had no problem with the tyre staying on, but it all went to poo when he got a puncture or was on a decent.

Stans never sealed in time and he ended up having to pull up and wait for it to seal. By the time it sealed he was down to below 70psi and unridable. The Stan's had sprayed all over his frame and dried. Poor bastard was left scrubbing the dried Stan's off.

Two years ago he road the Sydney to Gong ride, and on the brakes riding down bald hill, the sealant on the front rim got to hot it started to let all the air and Stan's out. His whole front rim was bubbling away. I could not believe it. I had to give him a tube at the bottom so he could continue.

Whatever Stan's you have left over from you little adventure, save it for your MTB. If you want latex, buy latex tubes. It will probably be lighter than a ghetto tubeless combo anyway. How many punctures do you get?

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 am

start slow on the pressure & check the bead is seated properly.

what wheels are you using?

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 pm

DT SWISSTricons. Have tried slowly inflating and even letting sit with 70PSI for 10 minutes.

Oh well at $40 per tyre not a great loss.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Brownster wrote:DT SWISSTricons. Have tried slowly inflating and even letting sit with 70PSI for 10 minutes.

Oh well at $40 per tyre not a great loss.
Been tubeless for a couple of years now and boy I sure dont miss the stupid things. I dont even carry one as a spare anymore. Never blown one of the rim even at 110 psi which is waaay to high for the system better to drop it to 90 and enjoy the added comfort and lower rolling resistance. I use Shamal Ultras but not the two way fit version. Do your rims have a decent hook bead on them with a squarish edge? There are many naysayers on here that have never tried them but know all about them. We have them on the Shamals, a set of DA tubeless rims and a converted set of Aksium Race with no issues blowing them off any of these rims.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 pm

I run a set of stans alpha's with Fusion 3's and never had a problem over the 3500kms travelled since install. I also have a set of disc equipped TWE road rims on my CX bike with Hutch Intensives which have had no problems, and the rims are not tubeless specific. I run higher pressures than cruiserman, much to his dismay. Those that poopoo tubeless may have had some negative experiences or heard of some, but I think the majority of people who open mindedly give the system a try wont go back.

However, I have read that using stans with hutch is not the best option, particularly if you ever use CO2 canisters for inflation. Apparently the CO2 reacts with the latex to create an acid which can cause obvious issues. I believe than the Hutch goo is better suited to use with CO2.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Sill not holding the group up fixing all the flats you will certainly get then Mr Golf. It is easy to be a naysayer but with experience comes knowledge.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm

I have to ask?
Did you buy 'Fusion 3' or 'Fusion 3 Tubeless'
They do say tubeless on the side right?

If you have the right tyres then take the tyres off and check the bead around the tyre, you may have broken the bead while installing - hence the blow off, look for small cracks in the rubber along the bead line.

I must be a real loony to have had 1 puncture in 15,000+ km that needed a tube :roll:

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Another happy loony here with 25,000+kms on Tubeless :lol:
More info here http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=14640
I think there's also info on the Stans site regarding std wheels that have profiles best suited for Tubeless retrofit.
Personally, I would recommend that you use Tubeless compatible wheels. It's easier and you're guaranteed that the tyre won't blow off or roll off the rim.

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 am

Brownster, is the problem happening on both rims/tyres? I pump my Fusion 3 tubeless up way past 95 psi (120+) in the initial seating process and have never had this issue, on either ghetto tubeless or tubeless specific rims. If one wheel is working then maybe try swapping the tyres over and working out if the tyre or rim is the problem.