ABC Four Corners - "Lance and the Truth"

twowheels

Re: ABC Four Corners - "Lance and the Truth"

Postby twowheels » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Over the past year I've been doing a bit of reading about psychopathy, starting with "The Psychopath Test" by Jon Ronson. This lead to a book called "The Wisdom of Psychopaths" by Professor Kevin Dutton (a research psychologist). The back cover says in part 'Psychopaths are fearless, confident, charismatic, ruthless and focused - qualities tailor- made for success in twenty-first century society." Hmmmm.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 pm

brentono wrote:With respect to Greg Lemond, but American's cycling really only began and now ended with LA.
Long ago - the days when I actually rode a real bike - as far as I was concerned Lemond was household name. At least as far as any cyclist was in Oz.

I can't claim however to being an American and it would not surprise me at all if they were ignorant of Lemond. If it wasn't happening in America then it wasn't happening. Very insular.

I mean, the only reason God invented war was so that Americans could learn some geography. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I mean, the only reason God invented war was so that Americans could learn some geography. :mrgreen:
Ouch! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:47 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
brentono wrote:With respect to Greg Lemond, but American's cycling really only began and now ended with LA.
Long ago - the days when I actually rode a real bike - as far as I was concerned Lemond was household name. At least as far as any cyclist was in Oz.

I can't claim however to being an American and it would not surprise me at all if they were ignorant of Lemond. If it wasn't happening in America then it wasn't happening. Very insular.

I mean, the only reason God invented war was so that Americans could learn some geography. :mrgreen:
Long ago, Colin... amusing. I remember the same ignorance to Cycling in Australia. :D
And in America, much the same, maybe until around late 80's when Lemond was peaking.
Still I don't think he got the blanket cover of L.A. (who was all about P.R... his and building a brand)
He's a good wrap, from a journo (Bicycling Mag), who was a cyclist at the time-
When I was twenty years old, Greg LeMond won his first world road race championship, and I remember reading about it in the newspaper, a small item, really, in a Wisconsin newspaper’s sports section, which mentioned that he was a likeable person and quoted him, after the race, saying he would now be famous in Europe but probably not in America and that he had no control over that kind of thing, anyway. His fame, the article implied, was somebody else’s concern, not his. I hadn’t seen the race, nor had I really ever heard much of anything about bicycle racing before this, but I knew right then that Greg LeMond was a special person, a world-class person comfortable in his own skin and not letting it go to his head.

The rest for him, of course, is legend: the three Tours de France, the recovery from the accidental shooting, the absolutely amazing road race win at the 1989 World Championships, and on and on.
http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured- ... ond-chance

It wasn't till the 90's when America woke-up to Cycling, maybe Aussie was still behind them, also.
As they were in one of the U.S. "meet and greet" travel visits to 'Nam for a 10-year "police-ing" Tour.
Think we are of the same thought. "Don't mention the war.... " :roll:
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Looks like Lance is not being welcomed by some cyclists on Strava ...

Andrew

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:Looks like Lance is not being welcomed by some cyclists on Strava ...

Andrew
To me it shows just how pathetic LA’s really is for him to want to record his rides on Strava and in the process claim 150 KOM’s against local weekend riders.

Really really sad............. :roll:

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:46 am

Apparently, Lance couldn't comply in time with the USADA request for evidence. If *only* there was something he could take to make him do things faster ... hmmm ...

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 am

Aushiker wrote:Looks like Lance is not being welcomed by some cyclists on Strava ...

Andrew
I didn't know Strava was for "drug free" riders only. Who is in charge of there drug testing?

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:06 am

mitzikatzi wrote: I didn't know Strava was for "drug free" riders only. Who is in charge of there drug testing?
It's poor form regardless of Strava's policies.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 pm

What's next, people who ride Treks to get booted from Strava? After all, a self-confessed doper rides a Trek.
Better get rid of people who wear Nike runners too, same reason.
Who cares if Lance is on Strava and has 150 KOMs. Strava isn't a race, there are no prizes on offer, it's simply a comparison tool for athletes to compare both their own times and compare their times to other peoples times. I'm sure no one (with a brain) is going to think any less of Billy Smith or Jimmy Jones because Lance Armstrong beat them on a Strava segment.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I didn't know Strava was for "drug free" riders only.
I didn't know Strava was group assist or motor assist free either. Or for that matter, wind assist free. Want a KOM? Just jump in the car or on the motorbike. Done.

Or if you just want to beat your best, just wait for a gale blowing in the right direction.

Edit: Grammar.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Re: ABC Four Corners -

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Nobody wrote:I didn't know Strava group assist or motor assist free either. Or for that matter, wind assist free.

Or if you just want to beat your best, just wait for it to be blowing a gale in the right direction.
Thank God for that too, all my best times would be cancelled :o

Must get a weather vane with wind direction and speed with my next Ribble order too.
So that I know when to wear the skin suit and aero helmet on my next commute :I
:lol:
Last edited by warthog1 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Ross wrote:Who cares if Lance is on Strava and has 150 KOMs.
Understand what you are saying though for people who take Strava seriously and use this as a measuring stick, it is poor form for Armstrong to be involved right now. If Armstrong doesn't voluntarily pull out, it is like giving cycling the middle finger - like his tweet with the 7 TDF jerseys.
Cycling is in my BNA

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Come on Nobody , jump in a car or on motor bike to beat a KOM... You really don't know how us STRAVAites work ;-) . Even if you carefully rode that segment just 1 sec quicker than the fastest time, you would still be sniffed out.

Riding due to wind direction... Really?, no ones ever thought of that!, just makes the flat segments more fun and really fast. Most people ride the flat segments fast due to wind direction anyway so it is all pretty equal. Did anyone mention motor pacing?.
Only real Tests are the steeper KOM's anyway... No one kids themselves otherwise.

Chris, I take Strava seriously as you say, but it is only fun. If I lived near Lanceville I would think it pretty funny to have LA at the top of the KOM list, personally it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. All Lances rides would be "flagged" if it really bothered someone that much. It's only a bit of fun after all.

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:16 pm

^ +1 on TLL's comments