Should I make a complaint?

KonaCommuter

Should I make a complaint?

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Right now I'm quite angry about this but perhaps over the weekend I'll chill out?

2012 Oppy A4

MarkG

Re: Should I make a complaint?

Postby MarkG » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I'd take the time to chillax a bit.
I'm all for cyclists being looked after, but c'mon, it's getting to the point when even I think there's too much whining.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Did you mean to turn left, or was your original intention to go straight ahead?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Dan wrote:Did you mean to turn left, or was your original intention to go straight ahead?

Straight ahead

It's the safest route for me to get home
2012 Oppy A4

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
Dan wrote:Did you mean to turn left, or was your original intention to go straight ahead?

Straight ahead

In that case I'd be a little cranky, crack a Friday arvo beer and use a different courier company the next time something needs sending.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:02 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:

Straight ahead
But you went left? I don't quite understand.

If you were going straight on then I would have moved in front of the dual-cab.
It looks like that intersection inadvertently encourages drivers to cut cyclists off.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:04 pm

He wasn't indicating left when you passed, he wasn't indicating during the course of the turn and he failed to turn into the far left lane as legally required... His company on FB?

LATE EDIT: The van driver IS required to give way to any vehicle in the lane he is crossing RR so that's another offence...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Red Rider wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:

Straight ahead
But you went left? I don't quite understand.

If you were going straight on then I would have moved in front of the dual-cab.
It looks like that intersection inadvertently encourages drivers to cut cyclists off.

There's more footage where I tried to catch up for a chat about how I didn't appreciate his driving. Note that he didn't indicate otherwise I'd have hung back because it's been my experience here that drivers do not acknowledge the ASL and will do exactly as this driver did.
2012 Oppy A4

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:There's more footage where I tried to catch up for a chat about how I didn't appreciate his driving. Note that he didn't indicate otherwise I'd have hung back because it's been my experience here that drivers do not acknowledge the ASL and will do exactly as this driver did.
Fair enough, what a numpty they were. Off in a world of their own!

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:27 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Right now I'm quite angry about this but perhaps over the weekend I'll chill out?
Take a couple of days to think about it. If you still feel the same way about it, then go to your local police station to report it. According to the Qld laws, you were in the right and the driver wasn't. However, is it worth you sitting at a police station for about half an hour to make the complaint? If, in a few days time the answer is yes, then go and make sure you're prepared with a statement already written out, the Google Maps printout of where the incident occurred and multiple formats of the video footage. Most police computers cannot play MP4 or MOV format videos, as I found out. So take it in the following formats to make sure they can play it easily the first time, MP4, MOV, AVI and WMV formats. The quicker they can view it, the more likely they will attend to it.

If this all sounds too much, then I suggest you simply write an email to the courier company and point them to the YouTube clip :-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 pm

I'd go the Youtube clip
No signature

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm

You are in the right and fair enough to be angry but I always err on the side of caution and it's usually obvious these idiots are going to make those moves. I would have just hung back and wait to for them to sort themselves out then move on - or move past the ute to the head and make it clear you're going straight.

Snagdog

Postby Snagdog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 pm

You could have possibly sat behind the first car in the middle of that lane therefore allowing yourself to go straight through and the van behind you to turn left after you have moved on. If you don't claim the road people are going to do some strange and dangerous things

And a lot of the times it's unintentional, just poor vision, lack of anticipation, poor driving skill, poor decision making, driving impaired, inexperienced, old age ......the list goes on

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Tough one. Given you were resting on the kerb and leaning left, it's easy to interpret you were intending to go left or making a stop. In future, stay in the centre of the bike lane or even into the motor lane and make your intention (going straight) absolutely clear. I would even make a hand signal to the driver behind. Ride defensive and ride big!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 pm

The driver probably wouldn't have known where you intended to go. I'd just let that one go if I were you.

Sogood has some decent suggestions.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Dunno about reporting it. I had a similar arrangement on my commute and took to using the regular lane after one left hook too many. I too think sogood is on the money.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 pm

+1 for snapdog and sogood's suggestion to claim the lane. In the van driver's mind there might have been ambiguity about where you're going, since you're waiting to the left of the car that turned left. That's not an excuse for his bad driving, but if you take the lane you take any ambiguity out of the scenario.

Now, exactly where to claim the lane is complicated by the ute's position waiting on the bike lane - which is why you didn't proceed to the front of the intersection.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Video must make it look like he was a lot further away than he was as to me, although he should have indicated so that you knew where he was going, he looks to be MILES away from you.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 pm

You need to put yourself in front and to the right of the car indicating that it is turning left. It isn't rocket science. Winging won't achieve anything, and surely it would be common sense to avoid any situation that requires a courier to ever give way?

Even if the van was going straight ahead, waiting on the other side of the ute gives you much more control.

Just slip through the gap and put yourself in the straight ahead lane next time.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Alistair wrote:You need to put yourself in front and to the right of the car indicating that it is turning left. It isn't rocket science. Winging won't achieve anything, and surely it would be common sense to avoid any situation that requires a courier to ever give way?

Even if the van was going straight ahead, waiting on the other side of the ute gives you much more control.

Just slip through the gap and put yourself in the straight ahead lane next time.
Ride in the gutter (around intersections & roundabouts) & you will be treated as such, as reported above take the lane & make your intention positive.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Right now I'm quite angry about this but perhaps over the weekend I'll chill out?
Chill. It really isn't worth the grief. If it happens again, same courier co, email them with a link to the video and point out the danger.

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Why would you ride up next to the car? Why not just wait behind it to avoid an issue like this and potentially pissing off a motorist who then ends up stuck behind you when they no doubt just passed you? Genuine question, not trying to stir the pot.

frodo

Postby frodo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Bakks wrote:Why would you ride up next to the car? Why not just wait behind it to avoid an issue like this and potentially pissing off a motorist who then ends up stuck behind you when they no doubt just passed you? Genuine question, not trying to stir the pot.
I agree totally - I would have waited behind . To me you have gone up the left hand side when you should wait behind. If I was in car I would have been angry with you
Trek Domane 4.5
Giant TCR 1

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Had a 3rd and 4th look of the loop. If I was a driver/rider, I would have recognized by the orientation of the vehicle that it had the intentions to turn left too, even though the left turn indicator was off. As such, I would be defensive and not have squeezed to its left and would have either waited behind the van or went around both vehicles. To ride safe, one has to be practical and not be totally dependent on road rules. Be road smart and be sensitive to those little cues that'll keep you out of trouble.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

roobab

Postby roobab » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Don't complain. You are clearly in the wrong. if you want to ride on the road, ride like a car.
1. The best option was for you to get in front of the car to his right, signal and leave room for him to go left.
2. Move in a bit in front of the van and stick out your right hand so he know what you want to do. Most drivers are courteous and will give you the room.
3. Be patient and wait for traffic to clear before moving off.

In all cases riding defensively and being patient is the solution.