Strava app update on Android

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Strava app update on Android

Postby schroeds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Anybody else updated to the new version of Strava on Android?

It's got some good features, but I find it hard to read in daylight and SLOW...oh my god, it's like being on a 10 year old touchscreen. On balance I'm thinking of trying to go back a version.

Or is it just me?
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
schroeds

by BNA » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:41 pm

BNA

Re: Strava app update on Android

Postby schroeds » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Oh ok...I feel like the general who leads his troops into battle...only to look back and see there's nobody following :shock:
schroeds

Postby oxonabike » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:15 pm

I have Strava for Android on my phone, but rarely use it as I have a Garmin Edge on the bike, so the phone app only gets used if the GPS unit is down. There have been occasions when I couldn't be bothered swapping the gps unit onto another bike, so used the phone instead, but its been a while since I last did this. But I seem to recall an update to the app a while back, and noting your cry for help above, gave it a run today.

First thing I noticed was that they have changed the interface a bit, and probably not really in the best way. I don't remember the activity feed being the default start up screen, and on a mobile app, you'd think the recording screen would be that which is presented to you on start up. There does not seem to be a short cut button on the app home screen to start recording, and had to use a menu to do this. So not the greatest first impression.

However once on the screen, the phone locked onto a satellite pretty quickly and it fired into action as soon as I hit the record button. Just walking around, the display reacted and updated frequently enough, but was only observed for a very short time - from here it was screen off and into the pocket for the ride - I don't think too many screens would be easy to see on a ride in bright sunlight (like I had here today).

On completion of the ride, the pause button was obvious enough, but it got a little confusing from there - it's as if the stop/save ride button (or what ever it's meant to be) didn't render properly - there was a grey checkered button (standard photo editing transparent mask) which I tapped on spec, and sure enough, I was on the save ride screen. The ride saved and uploaded via 3G network quickly enough, and the results available icon was also presented fairly quickly. It did seem to take a while for the actual ride data to come up on screen, but I had changed over to WiFi and the phone may have been settling on the new data source.

the App recorded a total time of 37 minutes (elapsed) for 34 minutes moving, eating 9% of battery in that time. Acceptable. Distance was 16.4 km, ave speed 28.8, max 46.1
The GPS, which was actually using GPS rather than Cadence / Speed sensor, by comparison recorded 16.15 km, ave speed 29.2, max 46.6 - so nothing too alarming in so far as errors go.

In conclusion, did not find the app particularly slow, the screen was hard to read with the sunnies on, but managed okay. Phone here is an HTC Velocity.
oxonabike

Postby schroeds » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Ox, for a much more measured and scientific summation than mine!

Mostly I agree with your findings although occasionally Strava delivers really weird results (ave 85kmh! :shock: ) which after a little while revert to the correct results.

Re the outdoor readability, it's not about using it while riding, but looking at the results at the cafe afterwards :D The new interface is clean for sure, but the old black one was easier to read.

But the thing I'm finding super frustrating is the lag between touching a button and the desired function happening. Sometimes there's no reaction to a touch, and thinking I haven't touched it I touch again and it then catches up and jumps through two screens eg registers both touches...annoying. Perhaps it's my phone, but it's an HTC wildfire so don't see why it should be.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to provide your review.

cheers
schroeds

Postby oxonabike » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Suggest it might be the wildfire. As apps update, they tend to demand more processing power, which the poor old wildfire does not have an abundance of.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD
oxonabike

Postby schroeds » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Lest year's good phone is this year's junk, eh :( :roll:
schroeds

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 am

Just got back from a few days away, strava app on my android htc one xl.

No issues at all, speed is fine, new update makes it much better IMO
Scarfy96

Return to General discussion