Cycling in Winter

flashpixx

Re: Cycling in Winter - Bumped

Postby flashpixx » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:41 pm

I thought this thread was very informative and as that time of year is approaching (although not in Perth it seems) thought it was worth bumping instead of starting a new one.

As a sufferer of Male menopause complete with hot flushes :oops: long compression garments (top and bottom) with jersey, cycling shorts and modesty shorts does the trick. I've not ridden in the rain (never rains here anyhoo) :lol:
Flash

Riding: Pinarello Dogma2

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Cycling in Winter

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:22 pm

FOr Perth:

I ride every workign day all year and ahve for several years. Gives me some insight,though I am on a slower vehicle.

HeadSock (not balaclava, those things moe like a stetchy pipe of fabric), head lights (incl rear), spray jacket, wet cover (pancho in my case), socks, gloves and a pair of light skins sort of things OVER the bike shorts so they can coem off.

The gloves, headsock and jacket come off well before I am fnished. It is a simple matter to put both of these in the spray jackets pockets and the spray jacket itself eventually winds up being tied around my waist. The only time I need to fart around with the backpack therefore is if it buckets down and I need to get to the pancho.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mububban

Re: Cycling in Winter

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Good reading, I'm about to enter my first Perth winter and plan to keep commuting my usual 2-3 days as much as possible. I don't plan on riding in serious rain but will go if the forecast is only light. My arsenal of gear I've accumulated over the years includes:

- arm warmer sleeves
- Goretex windbreaker vest
- leggings (rowr)
- rain jacket
- backpack with built in rain cover

I've only got fingerless gloves, no beanie/headscarf yet, I've ordered two additional rear lights and will shortly buy some more front flashers to go with my front light ( start my commute at 6:45am).

I'm planning on buying some mudguards. I currently use Lake casual style bike shoes with recessed SPD cleats. Are there any waterproof sprays that could help protect the fabric uppers from getting too soaked?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!