Cyclist dies after Cowan crash (Sunday 17th Feb 2013)

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Cyclist dies after Cowan crash (Sunday 17th Feb 2013)

Postby ftssjk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Cyclist dies after Cowan crash

Monday, 18 February 2013 01:39:20 PM

A man who suffered critical head injuries after falling while cycling along the Old Pacific Highway at Cowan has died in hospital.

The crash happened about 7am (Sunday 17 February 2013) as the 61-year-old man was cycling about 200m ahead of his co-riders.

The man was treated at the scene for head injuries before being airlifted to Royal North Shore Hospital. He died in hospital last night.

Police believe the man fell as four motorcyclists passed him also travelling north on a downhill section of the highway.

It is unclear whether or not the motorcyclists witnessed the crash as they did not stop at the scene. There does not appear to have been contact between the two.

Investigators want to speak with the riders so they can get the full details of the incident.

Police are also appealing for any cyclists or motorcyclists with sports cameras fitted who were on the Old Pacific Highway near Cowan about that time to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Anyone with information about this incident should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/ . Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/lates ... YWxsPTE%3D

RIP :(
ftssjk

by BNA » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:04 pm

BNA

Re: Cyclist dies after Cowan crash (Sunday 17th Feb 2013)

Postby birdbrain » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends. :(
birdbrain

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56 pm

The Police report seems to have a fiarly different emphasis than that quoted on another fourm

trailgumby wrote:From : http://nobmob.com/node/40652

GiantNut wrote:[b]Another rider dies[b]
A ride up to Mount White on the old pacific hwy that I was invited on but declined as that road is frequented by hoons. One of the guys I know was either clipped or spooked by two motor bikes who were described as racing. He fell and besides other injuries he sustained a fatal blow to the head. This was yesterday ( Sunday 17th)

My mates who were there said the bikes were riding at insane speeds and were too close. They did not stop after Steve fell.

I have been ill and the only ride I did this w/e was along the flat bits of Duffy's forest. In one 20 min ride I had a ute pass close, rev it and then drop the clutch. There are some deranged and dangerous motorists out there that's why in general I would side with the cyclists
find_bruce

Postby scotto » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:37 pm

There's even a photographer that parks on a bend with warning signs and web addresses giving the motorbikers time to change down a gear and look heroic..
scotto

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:33 pm

scotto wrote:There's even a photographer that parks on a bend with warning signs and web addresses giving the motorbikers time to change down a gear and look heroic..

This kind of photographer gives us guys a bad name. Perhaps it is time to get the web address and make it known what this photographer does.
g-boaf

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Maybe it's this character??

http://www.bikephoto.com.au/motorcycle/
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:26 pm

il padrone wrote:Maybe it's this character??

http://www.bikephoto.com.au/motorcycle/

Perhaps. In a way, he's free to do what he does. He's a "photographer not a terrorist" as the popular saying goes. It's the motorbike riders that are breaking the law if they are going too fast. Technically he's not encouraging them either. You get the idea I think. :(

Perhaps speeding motorbike riders if they get involved in an incident of some sort might have some legal avenue to blame the photographer - along similar lines to the Strava cases.

Let us see what the Police will do...
g-boaf

Return to General discussion