Bee sting

trailgumby

Re: Bee sting

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Dan wrote:Ding your bell, call 'passing', give a good amount of clearance and you should avoid bee stings in the future. Unless they're wearing headphones, in which case you're in trouble - no knowing what they'll do.

Personally I believe all bees should be registered if they're going to use shared pathway facilities.
Touche :lol:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 am

On one of the audax rides this was when I had my trike and have the advantage of admiring the scenery a lot more.
One of the fellows road straight thru a bee swarm, now cos we were low to the ground and 10m back from him we saw it in plenty of time and avoided it very easily. On a DF you don't get that luxury and you mix it with them just as you realise
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:46 pm

My wife and I rode through two separate bee swarms one afternoon along the Barwon River in Geelong. They must have been in a good mood!

Not so when we nearly lost a National Hero:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 6579189950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Just remember there is a right and a wrong way to remove a bee sting.

Wrong way: Grab and pull out.
There is a little poison sack and you squeeze it injecting more venom.
Right Way: Scrape across the skin below the poison sack with a blade, finger nail or such so as to not squeeze that sack.
Afterwards make sure there is no sting left in the wound. It will look like a thin dark splinter.

I've not yet been stung on the bike but have, while driving, had them come through the window and get me in the face.

John

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:11 pm

rider_1 wrote:
Guys,

I got a bad experience with bee,
Being stung for two weeks straight...

What should I do for avoiding those bees ?
Because it suddenly appeared onto me and stung...
one near my eye, (entering my glass) and another one one my thigh...

Any idea ?

Cheers and happy riding
A bug hit my bottom lip on Monday and immediately I felt it biting or stinging. I brushed it off and my lip was burning, my gums and teeth started to ache, my jaw and side of my face also started to ache. The pain was really terrible. I stopped and felt my lip which has started to swell so I had a drink and thought will I turn around and go home or continue on with the ride and hope it all settles down. I chose the latter but the pain felt even worse. I completed my usual loop which takes about 3.5 hours and when I got home put some ice on my lip. The pain was starting to subside so I fugured all is well. When I went to bed that night I woke up about 2am and could feel the swelling so I looked in the mirror and I looked like Daffy Duck. I went to the doctors and he checked it out and gave me an antihistamine. Within 24 hours the swelling went down and all is well. I have no idea if it was a bee or wasp or whatever but I'm lucky it did'nt get into my mouth and bite me.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Bb, if this means you've discovered an allergy it may be prudent to carry an epipen or whatever your doctor recommends in your pack.

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:53 pm

I got another attack from a bird, it took away my glasses, and attacking my helmet, any idea what's the cause ? is it because of the color ?
The bird is a black and white color, looks like a crow but smaller....
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:38 pm

rider_1 wrote:I got another attack from a bird, it took away my glasses, and attacking my helmet, any idea what's the cause ? is it because of the color ?
Well it's not a bee...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:42 pm

rider_1 wrote:I got another attack from a bird, it took away my glasses, and attacking my helmet, any idea what's the cause ? is it because of the color ?
Are you new in this country? :mrgreen: :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... ith_humans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daus

Postby Daus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:26 pm

I had a bad experience with a bee sting one that I always will remember- hot day screaming through the hinterland on the Ducati, unmuffled contis echoing in the cuttings, travelling way too fast, rear-sets just cms from the ground totally committed- now I have set the scene a bee entered my helmet through the slightly open visor and stung me on the cheek- I held it together long enough to exit the corner, slow down to a sane speed and stop safely before I started tearing of helmet and glasses. Great Bee story- Don

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:55 pm

that's the right bird mates.........so aggresive..already few times I got strike with that bird....
Visit My website

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:02 pm

I broke one of my sunglass already....
Visit My website

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:02 am

rider_1 wrote:that's the right bird mates.........so aggresive..already few times I got strike with that bird....
Welcome to Australia! Normally occurs during October, November breeding season.

I've had the odd bug hit me while riding. One that hit me just below the eye and felt like a truck (in the dark so was probably a big moth).

Another MTB ride a wasp like creature flew towards me and down my shirt then stung me a couple of times before I could get it out, fortunately not very painful, on that same ride I had a stick swing back off another rider and smacked me on there nipple and on that same ride I was attempting to undo a jammed chain, got the chain breaker out and when it came free, said chain flung back and got me in the nether regions.

Been riding for years, some days are just like that.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:37 am

bychosis wrote:I've had the odd bug hit me while riding. One that hit me just below the eye and felt like a truck (in the dark so was probably a big moth).
In motorcycling parlance from open face helmet days, that would have been a B52 bug.

Touring Tassie a few years ago I hit a swarm of bees while descending at high speed. Couldn't understand what all the little hard things hitting me were until a couple stung me. Yeah, one got in my helmet too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...