Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

wurtulla wabbit

Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Following on from a user with nothing good to offer when a genuine question was asked about a part and its compatibility , why is cycling and cyclists so up their <language>

I played football at pro level as a teen, raced national level at bmx as a kid and various other sports through high school to high levels and if someone showed me a nice high
end piece of kit, I'd say cool !
Same with football, I still play football and some of our players aren't brilliant but have adizero trx FG boots, does that mean they mustn't wear them as they haven't the talent to utilise them properly ?
I know people with 300cc endure bikes (myself included) that couldn't possibly use all the power they have but still own them.

It appears to me that you need to "justify" your credentials to the forum nuisances and snobs ( or be ridiculed by someone who doesnt know you or your past) to be allowed to purchase "higher quality " goods or be a mechanic and know every part and suitability to be able to buy it or cut your teeth on some rickety POS !

IF you could afford that super car or that huge house or that huge boat you you aren't necessarily in need of, does that mean you can't buy it or be worthy of it ?

Who buys a Ferrari that can actually use it to its potential ? Or the 2.4 children family in a 6 bed, 10 toilet mansion, does that mean they're unworthy of the purchase ?

So in this way of thinking(the snobby cyclist or the hard done to "type") , what does everyone think ?
Process of qualification or buy what you can afford and enjoy ?

If you can afford it and can use it (to whatever degree) then you should be able to buy it, no ?

Cycling needs to get rid of this elitist attitude, its no surprise most folk think of them poorly if this is the attitude of cyclists.

BianchiCam

Re: Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Most of the guys I've spoken to on rides has been great. Obviously with some whoop de doo piece of kit but I havent found them (strangers) to be up them selves. Come across it in bike shops though.
I try and give a friendly nod to riders passing me the other way or say "morning" if overtaking someone. Some will nod back others not. Very much like motorcycling in my experience.

Not sure if this has much relevance to what you are discussing.

Cam

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Prob not, most I come across nod etc.

It's the keyboard warriors that !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! me with their high and mighty attitude.

It's a bike, who cares what it costs !
Aesthetically, I think the looks are important otherwise, no one would buy them ?

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:55 pm

unless your bike is the latest carbon fibre bling and really exxpensive I refuse to answer your question.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Why is it so pretentious? It only seems that way, Fred. :wink:

It's all about The Rules

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm

I’m not sure where you came across the pretentious attitude that caused you to post about it, but after only four years of riding as often as possible, and meeting a diverse group of people during that time, I have yet to come across any pretentiousness by cyclists in regard to gear or clothes.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 pm

" Prententious? Moi? "
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Sorry. I can't answer your question as I don't have any carbon bling on any of my bikes, so I can't be good enough to answer. :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Nobody wrote:Sorry. I can't answer your question as I don't have any carbon bling on any of my bikes, so I can't be good enough to answer. :wink:
Steel doesn't exist without carbon :P

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:39 pm

This thread might give an answer as to why this thread exists.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=61596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:43 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Nobody wrote:Sorry. I can't answer your question as I don't have any carbon bling on any of my bikes, so I can't be good enough to answer. :wink:
Steel doesn't exist without carbon :P
And carbon bikes don't exist without steel. Both steel and my body have carbon in them, but I wouldn't call either bling. :P

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Nobody wrote:This thread might give an answer as to why this thread exists.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=61596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see. A simple "no it doesn't take a Campagnolo 11-speed cassette" (nor a Shimano 11-speed cassette for that matter) would have sufficed.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Carbon bling :P

Last edited by il padrone on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 pm

I say hello to everyone - and I'm on a reasonable bike.

Won't make a difference if Mr Average on an average bike just wants to look down with his sour looking face and grumpy mood. I got my first ride in tonight after some 5 weeks off after an accident. You bet I'm going to be in a good mood. ;)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Snobbery in cycling or snobbery in life? In any group of people there are always a percentage that aren't worth the effort.
Pretty funny really, can be good for a laugh. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:It's the keyboard warriors that showtime me with their high and mighty attitude.
It is more an internet thing than a cycling thing. Go to any forum and there is always a group of members that seem to think the because they are sort of anonymous that they can say what they like and won't get dropped on their butt.

Though the road racing fraternity does seem to have a strong component of <language>, but it is by no mean is the norm. You will fine that most are good guys and girls, it is just the tossers are more vocal and will target you if you can be shown to be inferior.

But chin up, just let it run of your back. And you don't want that wheelset anyway, why invest in a Campy group and then put that crap on your bike when Campy wheelsets are so much nicer!

- David.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Yeah - there are some good people in the cycling community. Genuinely nice and helpful.

The few times I've had flats I've had people offer to help out, etc. :) I do the same.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:33 pm

DavidL wrote:it is just the tossers are more vocal and will target you if you can be shown to be inferior.
Hopefully, in time, these people will learn if they eventually mature, is that an inferior cyclist (and/or with inferior equipment) doesn't make an inferior person.
DavidL wrote:And you don't want that wheelset anyway, why invest in a Campy group and then put that crap on your bike when Campy wheelsets are so much nicer!
SNOB! :P
(They may be much nicer, but I won't let that get in the way of a good stir.)

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Haha, the campy neutrons fitted to my bianchi have some chunks out of the rims after a car T boned the original owner (new frame as priginal got trashed but same components) so had a look at them as I was browsing the sale ads.

My mate has a 10yr old condor and he flies on it, used to race competitively in England, top bloke and couldn't give a rats ass what he rides !

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 pm

cyclotaur wrote:" Prententious? Moi? "
+50.

You're just hanging with the wrong crowd, wabbit. There's pretentious peeps
in all walks of life, yes even footy. The trick is to learn to pick a better crowd.

Post your location in your profile and we'll see if we can help you meet some
more salt-of-the-earth cyclists.

Cheers

WombatK

(PS, us wombats like to burrow too, but I'm not sure about whether we'd go
so far as sharing burrows with wabbits. But hopefully others here can help
you in the search for a better cycling home :)

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 pm

It's all in the name mate, wurtulla ! ;)

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Uh-oh, this will be tougher than I thought. With all that salt water so close, no wonder
you're having trouble finding the salt-of-the-earth peeps.

At least in Sydney, I've found snobbery and pretentious-ness are inversely proportional to your
distance from salt water. It's got nothing to do with cycling, but rather the airs and
graces that people take on because they've been blessed with the money that coastal
properties fetch.

Is it the same with the Sunshine Coast ?

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm

I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it - cycling is big, so many different types of people and groups, with some you get along with better or understand or relate to. We also have different values and different means of reaching our ideals.
Cycling is in my BNA

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:47 pm

@Wombat, Hmm, dunno, I have a shop in caboolture and the salt of the earth type are a plenty there ! ( if by that , we mean, rough diamonds)
Sunny coast, wouldn't want to live anywhere else, no real point in holidaying elsewhere as its pretty damn awesome to live here with long golden beaches, shopping, decent schools etc etc so , to answer....don't know ! :D

Depends on the interpretation of "salt of the earth".

wardie

Postby wardie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:42 am

DavidL wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote: you don't want that wheelset anyway, why invest in a Campy group and then put that crap on your bike when Campy wheelsets are so much nicer!

- David.
I don't think that's a very fair comment, mate, as the guy selling the wheels was not the one who was involved in the argument with wurtulla wabbit.
Giant XTC 2