Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

clackers

Re: Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 pm

I took part in a timed MTB event for the first time, with the bike I tour on dirt trails with my wife ... what you can't see is the Topeak rack with very big boxy waterproof Topeak bag on it, containing what I thought was a very sensible 2L of water, food, repair kit, printouts of program guide, camera, etc. Turned out to be a faux pas I won't be repeating. The MTBers pleasantly ribbed me all day about was there a six pack in there they could use, a Cancellara-style car battery for the motor in my frame, etc. As a beginner, the horror then struck me: I AM FRED GUMBY! :D

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm

I wouldn't talk to any of you mob, so pretentious!! :D
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:38 pm

clackers wrote:I took part in a timed MTB event for the first time, with the bike I tour on dirt trails with my wife ... what you can't see is the Topeak rack with very big boxy waterproof Topeak bag on it, containing what I thought was a very sensible 2L of water, food, repair kit, printouts of program guide, camera, etc. Turned out to be a faux pas I won't be repeating. The MTBers pleasantly ribbed me all day about was there a six pack in there they could use, a Cancellara-style car battery for the motor in my frame, etc. As a beginner, the horror then struck me: I AM FRED GUMBY! :D

I'll talk to you Fred, as long as you're not an Adrian.
Certified Brand Snob

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Don't worry. Our own Fred, past club president and long-time committee member took his MTB to compete in the first Kona 12hr event at Redesdale. It was an old rigid frame job. He was not the most retro though as Graeme rode his Dutch MTB-tourer with drop-bars and rack (?). Our team did not podium :(

However in the final prize giving they gave out a number of random prizes. The call went out "Who has the oldest MTB on the Kona?" Fred put up his hand and quietly called "1983". It floored all the competition. His prize? A brand new Kona dual-suspension MTB.

So Fred won out after all 8)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
Oh, what are they? I assume they're even lower on the totem pole than ...

Has to be said, the MTBers seem a little more openly friendly than the roadies (albeit secretive about favourite trails). Don't know exactly why there'd be a cultural difference.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:48 pm

clackers wrote:I took part in a timed MTB event for the first time, with the bike I tour on dirt trails with my wife ... what you can't see is the Topeak rack with very big boxy waterproof Topeak bag on it, containing what I thought was a very sensible 2L of water, food, repair kit, printouts of program guide, camera, etc. Turned out to be a faux pas I won't be repeating. The MTBers pleasantly ribbed me all day about was there a six pack in there they could use, a Cancellara-style car battery for the motor in my frame, etc. As a beginner, the horror then struck me: I AM FRED GUMBY! :D
But did you carry a spare derailleur in your pocket? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm

il padrone wrote:Don't worry. Our own Fred, past club president and long-time committee member took his MTB to compete in the first Kona 12hr event at Redesdale.
We advertised the MAD Ride while heading out to Williamstown and back recently, one lady with very short shorts and the leader (who getting to know him more, was hard not to severely respect) who probably had a doctorate in Freddism. You'll know both these people. It was either mixed messages to the public or marketing genius in appealing to different demographics. :)
Last edited by clackers on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:56 pm

RonK wrote: But did you carry a spare derailleur in your pocket? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't even own a spare hanger, Ron, that's the gumby part outweighing the Fred! :D

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

clackers wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:
Oh, what are they? I assume they're even lower on the totem pole than ...

Has to be said, the MTBers seem a little more openly friendly than the roadies (albeit secretive about favourite trails). Don't know exactly why there'd be a cultural difference.
http://www.velominati.com/the-lexicon/#Adrian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Certified Brand Snob

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:03 pm

They don't have an entry there for Nigel though??

Watch out for those Nigels boss. They're the ones giving you trouble :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:08 pm

I think Nigels are an Aussie phenomemon Padrone. I certainly don't hang with Nigels, I'm much too cool.
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:25 pm

The problem with Mountain bikers is they are like surfers, always stoked.

"Did you enjoy that ride?"
"I was like so stoked!See me carve up that berm, stoked." :lol:
Certified Brand Snob

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:The problem with Mountain bikers is they are like surfers, always stoked.
It was an analogy that also struck me, DR. There are high levels of dudeness in the air. :-D

boss

Postby boss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

clackers wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:The problem with Mountain bikers is they are like surfers, always stoked.
It was an analogy that also struck me, DR. There are high levels of dudeness in the air. :-D
The lack of dudeness in road cycling is probably my biggest gripe with the culture haha

As a sidenote, I now have a picture worthy to be my avatar.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:59 pm

yes! try that at your local crit and someone will yell out "shut up! hold your line! concentrate you %^$*%" :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm

You seem to be mixing MTB up with BMX and Trials riding :?

MTB

Trials

BTW, I don't know whether Danny McAskill talks like that but he is one crazy hot rider !!

Last edited by il padrone on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

boss

Postby boss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 pm

BMX > All.

I don't care if its snobby. Hahaha. Infinity times more stylish than dudes trying to do the same stuff on mountain bikes.

This is pretty much the defining video part for BMX right now. Usually guys have one song for their part, this dude had so much good stuff he got three songs for his section.

This one is a more stylish rider, Ryan Lloyd. He's from Adelaide and is one of the best riders in the world when it comes to going really high and making it look good.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Kwaichang wrote:
jules21 wrote:i often overtake Freds who are just happily cruising along on the Kew Boullie or similar. i don't usually bother saying hello as there are so many riders along there most don't bother. occasionally as i'm passing a casual rider, they'll say Hi in a pointed manner, presumably as they feel i'm ignoring them. i just say Hi back in my most genuine tone. this wasn't a very exciting story was it?
It wasn't a very exciting story but you don't sound like a very exciting guy? I guess that makes sense?
you're a Fred aren't you? :mrgreen:

munga

Postby munga » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm

interesting to see so many people saying they're not snobs, then calling someone else out on their subliminal snobbery. are we all closet snobs?

i'll admit to sneering at fat ladies on their cell or reid bikes, but only when they're not looking directly at me, which is most of the time on account of the fact that they're usually 'passing right' too quickly to notice my sneer (which probably looks more like i'm grimacing, or i'm having a baby).

i also sneer at cervelo owners. i keep a book on those weirdos. cervelo rider acknowledgements returned this year: 0

i laugh openly (in the comfort of my own living room) at those wannabe's in their pro team kits. jokers. they're not kidding anyone, even in a 45km/h shop ride. no epo, no pro.

mountain bikers are ridiculous. do they know just how silly they look when they grunt and groan past me on coot-tha? get an "uphill bike", i say.

freds with mirrors and panniers should just buy a prado. so impractical.

bmx. i don't even get it. i bought that dave mirra game and it was so easy. if kids can do it, anyone can do it.

i'll get back to you with any more idiots i can think of.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm

boss wrote: 44786143
V 8)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm

munga wrote:i'll get back to you with any more idiots i can think of.
Well, nobody could accuse you of being one-eyed. :) :) :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:58 pm

il padrone wrote:

BTW, I don't know whether Danny McAskill talks like that but he is one crazy hot rider !!
He's actually a quietly spoken Scots lad from a small village. Seems impressive.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
skull wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote:
on the long ride thing, we had some pass us on the 100klm ride the other day like they were taking the front by storm in the TDF ! :lol:
You're showing your own snobbery here.

So how do you know that the person that passed wasn't doing a hard interval as part of their training.

Instead you just judged and ridiculed.

Might be time to have a good look at yourself and step down from your ivory tower.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Im failing to see where the judgement and ridicule is in that comment? Could just as easily be admiration?
Yeah me too, obviously another who fits the "should've read the post properly" group !

I was impressed by them, no ridicule in what I said at all or to the riders in person as I spoke to them as they passed !

dear dear, what is it with some people ?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm

RonK wrote:Well, there you go - a good example of what Ross is talking about. I'm riding a touring bike. :roll: Is that what "real cyclists" ride? :P
I ride a touring bike and was warmly welcomed at my local bike club for group rides. No one said anything for ages but the day I turned up in summer with a long sleeved running top (to stop my arms getting burned), mismatched with old bike shorts, full mudguards and a full beard I got a laugh out of one of the group. I knew him by then though so didn't take it personally. Anyway, at no stage did anyone make me feel unwelcome because my bike wasn't as fancy as everyone else's.
<removed by request>

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I ride a touring bike and was warmly welcomed at my local bike club for group rides.
Russell Mockridge collecting his gear after the Helsinki Olympics..... pretty much like a touring bike :D

Mandatory helmet law?