Commuting in the Dark

kunalraiker

Commuting in the Dark

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:16 am

In my preparation to venture out in the dark wondering what front light would suit me, given there are numerous options out there.
My requirements are as follows:

1. Needs to be lightweight, preferably under 250 grams
2. Need to have rechargeable battery, preferably usb charging
3. Price should not exceed $50.00 if possible
4. Highest Lumens output.
Last edited by kunalraiker on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Commuting in the Dark

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 am

I would drop the lumens requirement, for this budget you are in the market for a light to be seen and not to see - but I know what you mean, you want a bright light.
Cycling is in my BNA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 am

This - from c r c (UK)

$40 from Australian web-stores.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 am

Just ordered that light shown above, I need a new one and the Bontrager Ion2 I have is just about useless.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 am

g-boaf wrote:Just ordered that light shown above, I need a new one and the Bontrager Ion2 I have is just about useless.

IS the one above something that everyone is going for, in my price range of course!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 am

Little lighter like those shown do little more than let people know you ate coming.

If you want to see in the dark you need to invest in some serious illumination, such as what you get from a set of ayups.

Based on your USB requirements I would look at some of the nightrider range. http://www.niterider.com/lumina-500-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit:add url
Last edited by jcjordan on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 am

jcjordan wrote:Little lighter like those shown do little more than let people know you ate coming.

If you want to see in the dark you need to invest in some serious illumination, such as what you get from a set of ayups.

Based on your USB requirements I would look at some of the nightclub range
The price can be bumped up, but would prefer to not exceed $50.00
I would be commuting in the dark, so definitely need lights to show me where I'am heading 8)
Although the weight and other requirements do stand.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 am

Cheap
Quality
Bright

pick any two.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 am

kunalraiker wrote: The price can be bumped up, but would prefer to not exceed $50.00
I would be commuting in the dark, so definitely need lights to show me where I'am heading 8)

How much is your life worth?
2010 BMC SLC01

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am

Also consider from the same manufacturer the Blackburn Flea as a casual use rear light. :smile:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:51 am

kunalraiker wrote:In my preparation to venture out in the dark wondering what front light would suit me, given there are numerous options out there.
My requirements are as follows:

1. Needs to be lightweight, preferably under 250 grams
2. Need to have rechargeable battery, preferably usb charging
3. Price should not exceed $50.00 if possible
4. Highest Lumens output.
You need to define "Dark" first, then at what speeds are you talking.

ie. Unlit, debris covered roads with speeds up to 50kph - V4 Ayup kit or a HID. Or 20kph entirely on well lit shared path... anything cheap.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:52 am

kunalraiker wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Little lighter like those shown do little more than let people know you ate coming.

Based on your USB requirements I would look at some of the nightclub range
The price can be bumped up, but would prefer to not exceed $50.00
Better to spend money on a good quality set of lights. My ayups are 5 years old and going strong and a mate who bought the original version of the light I linked to is still happy over the same time.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:59 am

Pushing the budget, but well worth getting a light that you can see properly with:
Cygolite 350 - $79.95, USB recharging, 130 grams, all-in-one unit.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 am

twizzle wrote: You need to define "Dark" first, then at what speeds are you talking.

ie. Unlit, debris covered roads with speeds up to 50kph - V4 Ayup kit or a HID. Or 20kph entirely on well lit shared path... anything cheap.
Commuting between Maidstone to Melbourne, passing through Footscray Road and Docklands.
The Speed is between 30-35 KMH.Does the info help in assisting with a more informed decision?

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 am

Red Rider wrote:Pushing the budget, but well worth getting a light that you can see properly with:
I used to have a Night Rider with a battery kit and what not.
But that was for my MTB and was stolen.

How is this one?
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-hl-el135 ... ont-light/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 am

kunalraiker wrote:Commuting between Maidstone to Melbourne, passing through Footscray Road and Docklands.
The Speed is between 30-35 KMH.Does the info help in assisting with a more informed decision?
In other words mostly urban lit streets and bike path with parallel very well-lit Footscray Rd. No problems with obscuring shrubbery or steep descents at 50kmh :wink: Your speeds will be mostly 25-35kmh I'd guess.
kunalraiker wrote:How is this one?
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-hl-el135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ont-light/
Yes, that would probably be very good. For a bit more money the EL 530 also linked on that page would be even better - probably the best battery LED light for routine urban commuting.

You really do not need a mountain trail marsupial-fryer to ride safe and well-lit in the city. Drivers (and other cyclists) will see you well and thank you for not blinding them in the process.
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 am

I have a Lezyne power drive 400 lumen light and it's not enough for me to ride at my normal ~30-35 kph along unlight cycleways at night. I try to avoid commuting when its dark simply because visability just isn't great when there aren't street lights but if I do ride at night I have to slow down. IMO if you're riding at night you want the most powerful light you can get within reason (beam pattern/coverage is pretty important too).

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

il padrone wrote:
kunalraiker wrote:Commuting between Maidstone to Melbourne, passing through Footscray Road and Docklands.
In other words mostly urban lit streets and bike path with parallel very well-lit Footscray Rd. No problems with obscuring shrubbery or steep descents at 50kmh :wink: Your speeds will be mostly 25-35kmh I'd guess.
kunalraiker wrote:How is this one?
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-hl-el135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ont-light/
Yes, that would probably be very good. For a bit more money the EL 530 also linked on that page would be even better - probably the best battery LED light for routine urban commuting.

You really do not need a mountain trail marsupial-fryer to ride safe and well-lit in the city. Drivers (and other cyclists) will see you well and thank you for not blinding them in the process.
I did look at that one too, but unfortunately there is no rechargeable battery, don't want to shell millions on batteries!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 am

kunalraiker wrote:
Red Rider wrote:Pushing the budget, but well worth getting a light that you can see properly with:
I used to have a Night Rider with a battery kit and what not.
But that was for my MTB and was stolen.

How is this one?
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-hl-el135 ... ont-light/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having a read of the reviews listed on Wiggle, "although it's not bright enough to ride with on dark roads at speed, this is a cracking little light to be seen with." - Bikeradar. And "for being seen, this is a great little unit, but it's not that great for seeing where you are going. Then again, it is clearly not intended for that kind of use." - Cycling Plus

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 am

kunalraiker wrote:I did look at that one too, but unfortunately there is no rechargeable battery, don't want to shell millions on batteries!
A pack of 4 rechargeable AAs and a battery charger?

Having said that, the hassles of recharging batteries or keeping fresh batteries in lights, when I really only commute in the dark for 2-3 months of the year, was what pushed me to getting set up with the dynamo lights. Great to simply get out the bike and know that if I need lights they are there and will work, no questions. :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:54 am

il padrone wrote: A pack of 4 rechargeable AAs and a battery charger?

Having said that, the hassles of recharging batteries or keeping fresh batteries in lights, when I really only commute in the dark for 2-3 months of the year, was what pushed me to getting set up with the dynamo lights. Great to simply get out the bike and know that if I need lights they are there and will work, no questions. :wink:

Come to think of it, carrying 4 AA batteries is not really light weight, might drop this one :)

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am

I guess efficiency is not an issue, if the light lasts me about 2 hours I'am happy but the rest of the requirements need to be fulfilled.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Good luck with that.

Have a look at the torches on DX. There were some threads on here previously with people using cheap torches with bike mounts.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:28 pm

what twizzle just said^^^

this whole lot cost $3o.oo delivered. the light is SO BRIGHT it hurts...1100lumen. charger included is not usb, but you could get one from DX with your 20 change!

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:32 pm

kunalraiker wrote:Commuting between Maidstone to Melbourne
Check your route to see regularly spaced the traffic lights are. If you have sections where they are widely spaced, giving 'black holes' then for your budget I don't think you'll find something that's bright enough. Provided it's lit well enough then I'd go for one of these:

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=86381

Or if you can afford a few more pennies one of these:

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=86301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't used either of these models, but I have plenty of Lezyne gear and it's very good quality. The nice thing about these lights is they have an aluminium housing for durability, a low battery indicator, and importantly for you their run times on the max power setting are well in excess of what your commute will take so you won't run the risk of the light dying on you half way home.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket