Commuting in the Dark

durianrider

Re: Commuting in the Dark

Postby durianrider » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:56 pm

I run a Nite Flux P Mini with Magic Shine on the bars. Nite Flux Red Zone on the back. Sometimes on a climb I come up on a rider so fast they swerve thinking its a car. Have to remember to slow down on the climbs a bit or put my light on flash mode.

From 10 years ago light function, weight has gotten so much better. I once had a super heavy Cat Eye Stadium that was RRP of 1200AUD.
Vegan since 2001.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 am

kunalraiker wrote:
MattyP wrote:Bought one of these ebay Cree lights a few weeks ago, to replace a Nitelights series II set I bought in 2010. Have used them a few times over the last couple of fews & they've been a ideal replacement. Haven't used them in the wet, though the ebay ad claims '100% waterproof design'.

I ride Altona Meadows to Melb cbd & back. These lights at low beam are adequate for my commuting which involves riding before/after dawn/sunset. My commute is 30% bike path. I also use them for road rides in the dark & high beam is extraordinarily bright when needed.

The flashing mode is so fast it's fit-inducing, and I rarely use it. I use these lights to see, rather than be seen.

Only issue I have with the new lights is the cords on the light & battery are very long & have to be bunched up, somewhere. Still working on best set up.

Matt
Matt, What does it weigh?

ebay says 118 grams which I highly doubt.

Kuna,

I believe that weight is just for the light itself. Probably few hundred grams more with the battery. I'd suspect total weight is around 300-400grams, similar to what's stated by nitelights here.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am

kunalraiker wrote:The phillips light is good but expensive
Not necessarily. Thanks to a lead from MattyK, I picked up one for half price from http://www.roseversand.com/article/phil ... aid:409750. Paid $75 including shipping and it arrived in two weeks.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Those are all gone now though. But at $100-120 I still think it's great value.