road rash over existing road rash

going into surgery in 6 hours

yay
I DIDN'T EAT FOR THREE DAYS SO I COULD BE LOVELY

il padrone

Re: my first major accident

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 am

Oohhhh nooooo!

That is not good. Sitting here typing with one arm in a sling.... 4 weeks after a fall that caused a similar accident - I offer my commiserations. Look I even had bandages in the same places as you :shock: :P

Mine didn't need surgery in the end. Overlapped break turned out after further X-rays to be an oblique fracture. Rest, no lifting, no riding. 2 more weeks in the sling to go.

Panadol - 2 hrs - Nurofen. Rinse and repeat. Keep that up for about 3 weeks :| No Panadeine Forte recommended as it has a marvellous 'binding' effect :o
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:48 am

Ouch! Sorry to hear mate... I know it's not much but when you're injured any kind of sympathy/empathy is nice eh. :)

I hit a car about 18 months ago and snapped my left clavicle in 2 places. Originally the docs didn't want to operate but changed thier minds 10 days later.. had a metal plate and 8 screws put in there for 6 months. Put me out of action for about 8 weeks before I could ride a bike again, 12 weeks before I could go for a surf (in small wave only) and 18 months later I am still dealing with secondary muscular/joint injuries and have to go see a physio every week.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 am

Ouch

I hope it doesn't take you to long to get better!
2012 Oppy A4

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:57 am

Ouch - hope you heal quickly. That'a a nasty accident. :(

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 am

Bad luck mate wishing you well for recovery and your surgery.

I had a c-bone break when I was 14 playing footy. Mine snapped an inch in from sternum and lodged itself under the sternum, that small inch of bone also dislocated away from sternum. I didn't have any surgery as such but they put me to sleep and pulled it of from under sternum by raising the centre of my back using sand bags. They say it was too close to major arteries to operate.

This sucks because my left shoulder is significantly closer to my neck than the right.

About 4 years ago I had the exact same thing happen to me, no break this time but an AC separation and the road rash that goes with it. All on the left side.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

Take it easy on the road, there's no rush. Heal well!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:20 am

Yeah, you can see the swelling over the collarbone. Hopefully no titanium needed, but with a break in *two* places you might be better to take the more invasive option.

Get a second opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon. Emergency Department interns are not known for the quality and accuracy of their diagnosis, nor are emergency department radiologists. They may be right, but it's your body and you want it done right. Wait and see (aka hope) is not a strategy.

Heal fast. If you can get it attended to quickly you could be back on the bike in 8-10 weeks. The faster you can get the "permanent solution" in place, the less muscle wastage you will need to make good.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Can't believe I have to be the first person to ask about your bike ? Is it OK ?? [/joke]

On a serious note, glad to hear your injuries sound "eventually recoverable from but nonetheless still awfully painful" so to speak ... but of course very sorry to hear of your accident. Out of curiosity , did the chain come off the front cog and to the left ???

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 pm

The question has to be asked, if the light was yellow, was stopping an option?

Good luck with the recovery.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Damn not good to have that happen at that speed .......... best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.

Cheers,
Tom

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:08 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:The question has to be asked, if the light was yellow, was stopping an option?
Yeah, but.... he did stop :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm

il padrone wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:The question has to be asked, if the light was yellow, was stopping an option?
Yep. Front (nose) brakes followed by rear (end) ... try doing that simultaneously !!

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Coolabah wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Yep. Front (nose) brakes followed by rear (end) ... try doing that simultaneously !!
Followed by collar bone brake. [\poortastejokes]

Get well dude, hope the surgery is a success!

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:18 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:
Coolabah wrote:
Followed by collar bone brake. [\poortastejokes]

Get well dude, hope the surgery is a success!

Agreed. Not at all meaning to be anything other than sympathetic, but sometimes joking about the whole thing makes it seem less.... traumatic ??? ... dunno.

OP- Get well soon !!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:59 pm

The light did not cause the prang, the bike did. Clearly you produce too much power for that pansy mechanical stuff. Better get a phat TT crank to match the new SR EPS system. :idea:

Orion

Postby Orion » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 am

Sorry to hear. Glad my crash last week didn't result in surgery. However, the wound on my elbow now appears to be infected.

Heal well and quickly.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 am

Bugger! :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 am

il padrone wrote:Oohhhh nooooo!

That is not good. Sitting here typing with one arm in a sling.... 4 weeks after a fall that caused a similar accident - I offer my commiserations. Look I even had bandages in the same places as you :shock: :P

Mine didn't need surgery in the end. Overlapped break turned out after further X-rays to be an oblique fracture. Rest, no lifting, no riding. 2 more weeks in the sling to go.

Panadol - 2 hrs - Nurofen. Rinse and repeat. Keep that up for about 3 weeks :| No Panadeine Forte recommended as it has a marvellous 'binding' effect :o
I'm surprised you need to keep wearing the sling for so long.

Is the OS trip still in jeopardy ip?

With a tour coming up I'd be tempted to ditch the sling and gently start getting back some mobility in the shoulder.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:01 am

trailgumby wrote:Yeah, you can see the swelling over the collarbone. Hopefully no titanium needed, but with a break in *two* places you might be better to take the more invasive option.

Get a second opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon. Emergency Department interns are not known for the quality and accuracy of their diagnosis, nor are emergency department radiologists. They may be right, but it's your body and you want it done right. Wait and see (aka hope) is not a strategy.

Heal fast. If you can get it attended to quickly you could be back on the bike in 8-10 weeks. The faster you can get the "permanent solution" in place, the less muscle wastage you will need to make good.
i spent 12 hours waiting at prince of wales perioperative for a plate and screws but more critical patients kept coming in and was sent home because they had no more beds, that's understandable and fair enough but i was still a bit peeved - 12 hours of being told you're up next!

hope it gets done on monday

haha yeah, hopefully the 2-3 months on a trainer doesnt turn me off cycling

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 am

Coolabah wrote:Can't believe I have to be the first person to ask about your bike ? Is it OK ?? [/joke]

On a serious note, glad to hear your injuries sound "eventually recoverable from but nonetheless still awfully painful" so to speak ... but of course very sorry to hear of your accident. Out of curiosity , did the chain come off the front cog and to the left ???
surprisingly it's in better condition than i am :D

only a few scratches on the right shifter, everything else is fine

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:13 am

bummer about that.
It would be worthwhile getting your bike looked over, and trying to find out why the chain played up.
old cassette? old or dirty chainring? derailleurs not tuned well, wheels not fitted squarely? would be interesting to find out the cause.
I presume the chain came off the chainring, not the rear cog.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 am

Had similar happen when i was hit by a hater in a car. In hospital Monday after the collision, didn't get my hand operated on until Thursday. Kept getting bumped by life-threatening cases.

I think the reason they didn't send me home was because the bed was going to be paid for by the thug's employer's third party.

Mondays are usually pretty hectic because of weekend sports incidents... ifbat all possible don't let them send you home.

What's the impact on your work situation?

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:48 am

winstonw wrote:bummer about that.
It would be worthwhile getting your bike looked over, and trying to find out why the chain played up.
old cassette? old or dirty chainring? derailleurs not tuned well, wheels not fitted squarely? would be interesting to find out the cause.
I presume the chain came off the chainring, not the rear cog.
yeah sounds like sound advice, i'll investigate later

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:52 am

trailgumby wrote:Had similar happen when i was hit by a hater in a car. In hospital Monday after the collision, didn't get my hand operated on until Thursday. Kept getting bumped by life-threatening cases.

I think the reason they didn't send me home was because the bed was going to be paid for by the thug's employer's third party.

Mondays are usually pretty hectic because of weekend sports incidents... ifbat all possible don't let them send you home.

What's the impact on your work situation?
ugh i hope i don't spend another whole day (and not allowed food/water) in hospital for no reason :(

i'm just about to start first week of uni but tutes/labs don't start till next week so i'll be fine, and i'm doing medical science so theres no essays to write :D

i just sorta wish i was a few months younger so they'd put me in the children's ward, would be much more fun!