my first major accident

il padrone

Re: my first major accident

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 pm

RonK wrote:I'm surprised you need to keep wearing the sling for so long.

Is the OS trip still in jeopardy ip?

With a tour coming up I'd be tempted to ditch the sling and gently start getting back some mobility in the shoulder.
Well the ortho said 6 weeks in the sling, also I can take it off and do gentle exercise (no weight), but if there's any pain put the sling back on. At the moment for this past week I have been taking the sling off at times, but after a while I get increasing pain in the collarbone, so I'm still using the sling. I expect I'll be able to use it progressively less in the next two weeks.

OS tour is still a going ahead. I think there's enough time to get the shoulder mobility back - there is still more than five weeks until we depart. Even if I'm not in tip-top fitness I'll get fit in the first week or so and my wife may be able to out-pace me for a little while :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:59 pm

RonK wrote:
I'm surprised you need to keep wearing the sling for so long.

6 weeks is pretty normal as far as I know. The physio told me it takes awhile for the bones to start to knit and if you take the sling off to early you risk going back to square one.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:36 pm

birdbrain wrote:
RonK wrote:
I'm surprised you need to keep wearing the sling for so long.

6 weeks is pretty normal as far as I know. The physio told me it takes awhile for the bones to start to knit and if you take the sling off to early you risk going back to square one.
Speaking from experience, it took about two weeks for the break in my collarbone to knit, i.e. until I couldn't feel the ends grinding together any more. After that I started taking my arm out of the sling whilst at my desk so I could type two-handed.
After 4 weeks I could type and move around the office slingless with no discomfort, and threw it away.

Sounds like ip is on track to recover in time to make his overseas tour. That is great news!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Have spoken to the physio* at the hospital before about this question when I had a prior break. At the 4-6 week stage the bone is knitting back and all is OK for a lot of activity. But it is a bit like a stick of chalk - strong enough but if you stress it again it will break very easily. Full bone strength doesn't return until about the 10-12 week mark.

Happy to be conservative for now :D

* I have seen this same physio a number of times now. He was really great at getting me back on the go after the NOF (neck of femur) break and helping me to get full movement back in my elbow.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 pm

If you had had a dislocated shoulder you would either be pretty certain that it was dislocated or mistakenly think it was a cleanly broken humerus. Although occasionally they can start to dislocate but return back to where they belong. In which case I imagine it would still hurt like hell afterwards.

Collar bones seem to be a common thing for blokes to break at some stage in their life and seem to heal well afaik. A bit like cracked ribs. A little patience and I imagine you will be back with no permanent damage.

Be careful about posting pics revealing what is a pretty tightly-put-together body. Durian will see it and start claiming steroids, retained fluids, overweight, etc etc etc.

Unless you eat thirty bananas a day. In which case he will take credit for it. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:09 pm

surgeons said to keep the arm in a sling for 1 month

and not to ride for at least 2 months

<language removed>

I DIDN'T EAT FOR THREE DAYS SO I COULD BE LOVELY

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:46 pm

ohexploitable wrote:surgeons said to keep the arm in a sling for 1 month

and not to ride for at least 2 months

Borrow a wind trainer-can't fall off, so no risk. Keep the legs in some sort of shape. (use an old tyre on the rear)
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:Borrow a wind trainer-can't fall off, so no risk. Keep the legs in some sort of shape. (use an old tyre on the rear)
+1. Lovely bike, but you don;t wanna do it all over again.

A mate of mine had his pinned after a life-threatening race crash (broken ribs + punctured lung), and it pulled apart at the 4 week mark through no fault of his, and had to go back for a second op rather quickly. You're young so you'll heal a little quicker than us old farts, but seriously, don't mess with it. Follow your ortho's advice. He's not an idiot.