Volvo Cyclist avoidance system

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Volvo Cyclist avoidance system

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 am

SMH reports Volvo system detects cyclists and brakes automatically
Volvo has developed a new radar-based system that can detect cyclists and automatically and pedestrians and brake to avoid them.

The system, unveiled at the 2013 Geneva motor show, uses both radar and cameras to detect people on pushbikes and automatically apply the car's brakes if the rider swerves out in front of the vehicle. ...
Last edited by find_bruce on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
find_bruce

by BNA » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 am

BNA

Re: Vovlo Cyclist avoidance system

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 am

Very interesting.

A question. If the system should fail and the car comes into contact with a pedestrian or cyclist, who would be responsible? I also note that the system (pedestrian version) is only active at speeds below 25km/h.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 am

uses both radar and cameras to detect people on pushbikes and automatically apply the car's brakes if the rider swerves out in front of the vehicle

What about when the car is simply being driven poorly and heading straight for a cyclist? Or passes too close and cuts the cyclist off? Left hooks?

I don't see technology as any sort of fail-safe for driver responsibility, awareness and courtesy :|
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby zero » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 am

sogood wrote:Very interesting.

A question. If the system should fail and the car comes into contact with a pedestrian or cyclist, who would be responsible? I also note that the system (pedestrian version) is only active at speeds below 25km/h.

The driver is responsible. In any case its only an assist and clearly not to be used as a feature for controlling the car.

The most similar system - railway ATP - which will trigger automatic braking if the driver exceeds a safety parameter causes drivers to avoid this by being conservative in the first place. I'd expect that after a few close passes triggering the detection system, that most Volvo drivers with cyclist detection will leave more space to avoid it being triggered.
zero

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am

zero wrote:The driver is responsible. In any case its only an assist and clearly not to be used as a feature for controlling the car.

The most similar system - railway ATP - which will trigger automatic braking if the driver exceeds a safety parameter causes drivers to avoid this by being conservative in the first place. I'd expect that after a few close passes triggering the detection system, that most Volvo drivers with cyclist detection will leave more space to avoid it being triggered.

I think your post brings up a very salient point. In that the bigger safety benefit that this assist offers is the immediate punishment response involved and thus producing a change of behaviour. :idea:

It is important to note that safety could be further improved if a similar system was fitted with a electric shock or a punch-in-the-face feedback response. I am certain that behavioural change would occur even faster with such a system. :wink: :twisted:
human909

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 am

human909 wrote:It is important to note that safety could be further improved if a similar system was fitted with a electric shock or a punch-in-the-face feedback response. I am certain that behavioural change would occur even faster with such a system. :wink: :twisted:

Might have to have a corresponding system for that rider who "swerves out". :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:01 am

I certainly hope things are much better than back in October 2010 :shock:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 am

human909 wrote:It is important to note that safety could be further improved if a similar system was fitted with a electric shock or a punch-in-the-face feedback response. I am certain that behavioural change would occur even faster with such a system. :wink: :twisted:

il padrone

Postby Howzat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:14 am

Good stuff. Perhaps in the future we'll hear "Sorry mate, my car didn't see you".

Just needs a printer to issue traffic infringement right from the dash, as the system detects them.
Howzat

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 am

Spokesmuppet for what is left of the Australian Car Manufacturing Industry wrote:This is an interesting application of technology, it will however need some tweaking to the settings to adapt to Australian driving conditions:
  • the target aquisition software and associated heads-up display is likely to be enthusiastically receieved
  • drivers are likely to be disconcerted by a car unexpectedly trying to avoid running into a cyclist
  • there is nothing more embarassing than attempting to close shave a cyclist, misjudging the distance and accidentally driving a safe distance from them. With appropriate settings this technology could avoid that embarassment and ensure that the driver gets close enough to propoerly terrify the cyclist
  • when a cyclist is in front of the car, the system can be set to automatically sound the car's horn, thereby freeing driver attention for more important tasks such as calling talkback radio, applying make-up, and staring whistfully off into the distance
Future enhancements could include automatically sending letters to the gooier male & feral hun about the efforts of the driver to rid the roads of the cycling menace
find_bruce

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :twisted:
il padrone

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am

I decided to ask Volvo directly about the speeds at which the unit works and got this reply.

"it works from 0-80km/h. Collisions can be avoided if the relative speed is less than 15km/h and the vehicle speed is below 50km/h. In higher speeds, the collision impact will be reduced."

Hope that helps.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:17 pm

human909 wrote:
zero wrote:The driver is responsible. In any case its only an assist and clearly not to be used as a feature for controlling the car.

I think your post brings up a very salient point. In that the bigger safety benefit that this assist offers is the immediate punishment response involved and thus producing a change of behaviour. :idea:

It is important to note that safety could be further improved if a similar system was fitted with a electric shock or a punch-in-the-face feedback response. I am certain that behavioural change would occur even faster with such a system. :wink: :twisted:

Human909, unless you have driven a current model Volvo with CitySafe and other crash-prevention technology you should really stop posting about something of which you have no knowledge, otherwise you will come across as a TOTAL knob.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Human909, unless you have driven a current model Volvo with CitySafe and other crash-prevention technology you should really stop posting about something of which you have no knowledge, otherwise you will come across as a TOTAL knob.

Huh!? Was it really necessary to be rude?

I'm not even sure what your point is?
human909

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 pm

What's a Vovlo?
Nobody

Postby MarkWebber » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:17 pm

At least the cyclists are in green. Not like those pesky enemy humans in the red target windows.
They will be the first to go when the system goes haywire.
MarkWebber

Postby birdbrain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:23 pm

With all this additional electronic gizmo's I hope there is still room on the rear parcel shelf for the bowls hats.
birdbrain

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Nobody wrote:What's a Vovlo?

Dyslexics untie :D
find_bruce

Re: Volvo Cyclist avoidance system

Postby Sydguy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Surely you could intentionally trigger this system on a bicycle? A Volvo toots you for what ever reason, so overtake when they are slowing say for stop sign and drift just a ittle too far in front... BAM, welcome to whiplash driver.

Anyway it is a total cop out, there should be no substitute for safe driving and proper driver training.

JM
Sydguy

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Nobody wrote:What's a Vovlo?

Dyslexics untie :D
:lol: I read "Dyslexics unite" first, like intended. :D
Nobody

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Sydguy wrote:Anyway it is a total cop out, there should be no substitute for safe driving and proper driver training.

JM

Nice thought. So why do so many people end up dead and injured each year? Must be that safe driving and proper driver training everyone puts to such good use.

Don't bag-out the electronics systems until you have tried them and see/feel how they work.
gorilla monsoon

Postby Howzat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Must be that safe driving and proper driver training everyone puts to such good use.

Don't bag-out the electronics systems until you have tried them and see/feel how they work.

Yep - let's face it, a lot of drivers out there can use all the help they can get.
Howzat

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 pm

human909 wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Human909, unless you have driven a current model Volvo with CitySafe and other crash-prevention technology you should really stop posting about something of which you have no knowledge, otherwise you will come across as a TOTAL knob.

Huh!? Was it really necessary to be rude?

I'm not even sure what your point is?

That wasn't rude. Far from it, in fact. I can demonstrate rudeness if you want but I don't think you will like it.

And the point is you are making assumptions about an electronic driving aid you patently know nothing about but which might one day keep you from getting spread across the front of a car.
gorilla monsoon

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:35 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Nice thought. So why do so many people end up dead and injured each year? Must be that safe driving and proper driver training everyone puts to such good use.

I think you're missing the point here. When the electronic system fails (fails to detect, or fails to respond in the desired manner.... or you fail to activate it) drivers must be able to drive safely and with appropriate skill. Ignoring this is simply negligent but the trouble is, with all our daily driver distractions, that is what drivers are sorely tempted to do.
il padrone

Postby zero » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:07 pm

il padrone wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Nice thought. So why do so many people end up dead and injured each year? Must be that safe driving and proper driver training everyone puts to such good use.

I think you're missing the point here. When the electronic system fails (fails to detect, or fails to respond in the desired manner.... or you fail to activate it) drivers must be able to drive safely and with appropriate skill. Ignoring this is simply negligent but the trouble is, with all our daily driver distractions, that is what drivers are sorely tempted to do.

It doesn't have to be absolutely foolproof. Whilst the car remains human drivable, the results of attempting to rely on a safety assist just has to have a policy of being a little uncomfortable with an audible warning to passengers that it was triggered. ie a cyclist avoidance that will brake if the cyclist is less than 1m left of the car (and moving more slowly than the car) will cause drivers to learn how to always leave 1m clearance, and would probably largely stop motorists from half wheeling and from tailgating.

The cityrail bus I use moss vale to goulburn has a passenger audible overspeed warning, which the drivers eventually (I've been through a few drivers) almost entirely avoid triggering once they become experienced with the overspeed warning. ie wouldn't matter if it had failed, because after a while habit stops them testing it.
zero

Next

Return to General discussion