Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby simonn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 am

human909 wrote:An impreza is hardly a 'small' car.


Merv says... "Oh yes it is!"

Image
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:37 am

BNA
 

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:37 am

human909 wrote:An impreza is hardly a 'small' car.


IMO the older models were. I have a 2006 hatchback and would call it borderline small-mid car.
Nowadays my impression of the new Subaru designs for the Impreza and Liberty is "I won't be able to get THAT in and out of my inner city tight back lane."

At my old place even the Barinas were getting scraped on panels, because the angles were so tight in the back lane. Any loss in concentration and SCREEEEEEEEEE!! (scratched up side and door panels, front and rear bumpers, broken side mirrors etc.). The Impreza did it okay. The 2009 Liberty I borrowed one day barely fit through and my partner's father didn't even bother to try his Ford Falcon sedan as you'd have to crane it out of there.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby Ross » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:17 pm

A road bike will fit into the back of a mid 90s Ford Laser if you fold the back seat down, no need to take any wheels off.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby barefoot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Bikes fit in very small spaces if you're willing to do a bit of disassembly.

I used to drive a 1989 Daihatsu Charade. I certainly took my bikes in it... I suspect I may have done so with only one wheel off. That may have required the front passenger seat to be tilted forward. Certainly able to fit bikes with both wheels off... possibly with the back seat up.

My friend used to drive a very early 3-door Hyundai Excel. He used to regularly carry 4 people and 4 MTBs. Sure, he was using a tailgate-mounted rack, but there was at least one full bike (and 4 helmets, camelbacks etc.) inside the car.

As others have noted, Mazda 121 Metro was advertised as being able to fit two bikes with only the front wheel removed. Not sure what size bike, but the photos were in the brochures. One bike would be a doddle.

My wife and I did a road trip with our two bikes packed in the rear of a 1986 Subaru Touring Wagon - with the seat up. I couldn't even see the bikes behind the rear seat back. The rest of our stuff went in the back seat.

I know of a tandem cycling couple who carry their bike completely inside a Honda Jazz. They sit one behind the other, with half the rear seat folded and the front seat laid flat to take the whole length of their tandem (with wheels removed). I once got a lift to a ride in a friend's Jazz. I started loading my bike into the back on top of the blanket she'd laid down, I assumed to protect the carpet... then I realised that her bike was already in the car, under the blanket.

On the other hand, I know of a guy who spent hundreds freighting his bike home after a tour, because a car rental company wouldn't do a 1-way rental on a ute or van, and told him that his bike wouldn't fit inside a normal car. More fool him, he believed them without trying it for himself.

Bikes fit in small cars. Take your bike when you're shopping, to confirm it yourself before you hand over any money.

tim
User avatar
barefoot
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:05 am
Location: Ballarat

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 am

human909 wrote:An impreza is hardly a 'small' car.

Completely incorrect. The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries classifies Impreza as a small car and that is reflected in the Pounds New Car Pricing Guide. Any other assumptions you need correcting?
Last edited by gorilla monsoon on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
gorilla monsoon
 
Posts: 2874
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Central Coast/Lake Macquarie

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby RRalphy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:01 pm

I can fit my XL Focus Cayo (58cm top tube) into my girlfriends 4 door Mazda 2, just take the front wheel of and put the bike on the backseat with the forks resting against the door.
RRalphy
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 am

Most hatches should do it. I fit 26" MTBs in the back of a 1992 honda civic with fold down rear seats. Front wheels came off though.
Calvin27
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby TMjpn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 pm

kim_5 wrote:Hi

What small car fits a bike inside of it?

I read somewhere that you can fold the back seat flat seat in a mazda 2 and it will fit a bike inside! Is that correct?



Current model Ford Fiesta (WS same as WT) owner here. The Fiesta and Mazda 2 share the same chassis and have very similar dimensions. I have a 5 door model.

The Fiesta's reat seats do not fold flat, so even if they dont fold flat on the Mazda 2's it should still be fine. The fiesta does fit a 56cm road bike in the back with the front wheel off. The passenger seat wont be able to go all the way back, but it is usuable for most people.

Store the wheel upright behind the driver seat and the rest of the bike fits in. In fact, as long as I lay a blanket over my bike I reckon 2 bikes is possible:

Image
Fiesta Bike Fit by TMjpn, on Flickr

Hope this helps!
User avatar
TMjpn
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:21 pm

A Mitsubishi Lancer Sportsback will take size L two roadies (or two flatbars) in the back without the need to remove the front wheels.
User avatar
gorilla monsoon
 
Posts: 2874
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Central Coast/Lake Macquarie

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby MREJ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:51 pm

We have a VW Caddy diesel. It can easily fit 5 bikes with wheels on. I built a platform which folds, which gives us lots of options. Recently, I organised a trip interstate and took 5 bikes with wheels off on top of the platform, and luggage underneath. All locked away and out of the weather. It's a very useful car if you only need 2 seats, or have a second vehicle, as we do, for other occasions.
User avatar
MREJ
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:48 pm

MREJ wrote:We have a VW Caddy diesel. It can easily fit 5 bikes with wheels on. I built a platform which folds, which gives us lots of options. Recently, I organised a trip interstate and took 5 bikes with wheels off on top of the platform, and luggage underneath. All locked away and out of the weather. It's a very useful car if you only need 2 seats, or have a second vehicle, as we do, for other occasions.


Can you show pics of that set-up? It sounds good.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby gdt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:47 am

You've probably got to go as small as my Suzuki Alto (1.0L) before you can't fit a road bike in without excessive stuffing about, namely front and rear wheels off. When I was shopping for a car the ability to take a bike was essential, and all of the next size of hatch up (Mazda 2, VW Polo, Kia Rio, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai i20, etc) took a bike if you lowered the rear seat and took off the front wheel. Two bikes might be pushing it, especially if you cared about the frames rubbing.

(In case you're wondering, the firm selling the Alto took a big chunk off the price of a roof rack system, so the car I bought met my criteria.)
gdt
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby kim_5 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:51 pm

ooops sorry i forgot to reply.

I should have mentioned i wanted to know what small car will fit my bike inside of it without taking the wheel off.

Anyhow I have decided to wait another 6 months, so i can save a bit more and then buy my dream car a subaru xv suv. Not the best of the suv's out there but i like the look of it ;) It will be handy to chuck my bike in the back and for other kinds of toys too. im so excited i cant. i'll most likely buy a 1 - 2 year old though as brand new is too expensive.

Does anyone know of a good car messageboard i can visit? thanks
kim_5
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby barefoot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 am

kim_5 wrote:I should have mentioned i wanted to know what small car will fit my bike inside of it without taking the wheel off.


VW Caddy

Image

End of thread :mrgreen:

Well, it's a small car... with a lunchbox grafted on to the back of it.

I love ours, with a wheelchair ramp modification (for my daughter). I've ridden straight up the ramp and into the back without unclipping on a couple of occasions :lol:

There are other small Euro van options if you'd consider that path. Holden Combo, Citroen Berlingo, Renault Kangoo for starters. Perfect for carrying stuff... such as bikes.

tim
User avatar
barefoot
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:05 am
Location: Ballarat

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am

barefoot wrote:I love ours, with a wheelchair ramp modification (for my daughter). I've ridden straight up the ramp and into the back without unclipping on a couple of occasions :lol:


Sold!!!

I'm imagining a James Bond type scenario where you ride your bike furiously into the van, and the van speeds away once you're in. Or maybe the van is already moving and you ride the bike in whilst it's on the move. :lol:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:57 pm

kim_5 wrote:ooops sorry i forgot to reply.

I should have mentioned i wanted to know what small car will fit my bike inside of it without taking the wheel off.

Anyhow I have decided to wait another 6 months, so i can save a bit more and then buy my dream car a subaru xv suv. Not the best of the suv's out there but i like the look of it ;) It will be handy to chuck my bike in the back and for other kinds of toys too. im so excited i cant. i'll most likely buy a 1 - 2 year old though as brand new is too expensive.

Does anyone know of a good car messageboard i can visit? thanks


A couple of tips: take the cvt auomatic over the manual transmission with XV because it is nicer. Also, don't think of XV as an SUV but more of a crossover vehicle not that far removed from the quite nice Impreza.
Finally, when you go to the car dealer, take your bike with you and insist on putting it in the car.
If the salesperson says no then you and your bike find another, friendlier, dealer.
User avatar
gorilla monsoon
 
Posts: 2874
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Central Coast/Lake Macquarie

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby kim_5 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 pm

I ended up getting one of those bike carriers that you can dissamble. cost $120. I'm just gonna leave it on all the time. only thing is i cant use my boot now lol haha. but its only for 6 months or so and then i'll get a bigger car. it might get stolen but im not fussed, cos i cant be bothered putting it back on and off again after every ride. I just have to be careful when i park now that its hanging on the back. hmmm i have to figure out what im going to do though if i need to hide something away in my car. i dont think i thought it through well. maybe i could get access to the boot from the back seat i dunno.
kim_5
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby kim_5 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:07 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
kim_5 wrote:ooops sorry i forgot to reply.

I should have mentioned i wanted to know what small car will fit my bike inside of it without taking the wheel off.

Anyhow I have decided to wait another 6 months, so i can save a bit more and then buy my dream car a subaru xv suv. Not the best of the suv's out there but i like the look of it ;) It will be handy to chuck my bike in the back and for other kinds of toys too. im so excited i cant. i'll most likely buy a 1 - 2 year old though as brand new is too expensive.

Does anyone know of a good car messageboard i can visit? thanks


A couple of tips: take the cvt auomatic over the manual transmission with XV because it is nicer. Also, don't think of XV as an SUV but more of a crossover vehicle not that far removed from the quite nice Impreza.
Finally, when you go to the car dealer, take your bike with you and insist on putting it in the car.
If the salesperson says no then you and your bike find another, friendlier, dealer.


nah i like manual, its more fun
kim_5
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Not in XV its not. Also, you might like to check into the legalities of having a bike rack attached without a bike on it.
User avatar
gorilla monsoon
 
Posts: 2874
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Central Coast/Lake Macquarie

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby LoveB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm

mitsubishi mirage.
LoveB
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby djw47 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:55 am

Would make a lot of sense if the OP told us what the problem was here rather than asking for a list of small cars. All cars could have a rack on the roof for carrying a bike. Why are you specifically looking for a small car? Is your constraint budget or something else?
djw47
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:36 pm

My Golf GTi fits my bike in whole with both backseats down. Otherwise I take the front wheel off & put one side of the backseat down... When I can't be bothered removing the babyseat...
User avatar
JohnJoyner
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby Cinder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:My Golf GTi fits my bike in whole with both backseats down. Otherwise I take the front wheel off & put one side of the backseat down... When I can't be bothered removing the babyseat...


Golf or Peugeot?
User avatar
Cinder
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby kim_5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:46 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Not in XV its not.


oh howcome? :(
kim_5
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby kim_5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Also, you might like to check into the legalities of having a bike rack attached without a bike on it.


Nah I wont worry about checking the legalities. It'll only be for about 6 months then i'll be buying another car. Thanks for the heads up though. I didnt realise it might be illegal. I'll check it out
kim_5
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AKO, as7431, beanbiken, Boognoss, jacks1071, jaseyjase, jcjordan, The_Eggman, tubby74



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit