Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Which small car that will fit my bike inside of it ?

Postby kim_5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:54 pm

djw47 wrote:Would make a lot of sense if the OP told us what the problem was here rather than asking for a list of small cars. All cars could have a rack on the roof for carrying a bike. Why are you specifically looking for a small car? Is your constraint budget or something else?

Hi

Because I have to make a choice. I can buy a brand new small car or a 2 year old suv. I cant afford a brand new suv. I've decided to buy a 2 year old suv now. I'd rather have something I really like because i'll be hanging onto it for at least 10 -15 years.

The current car i have I bought brand new in 1996. Its a hyundai excel hatch and I've managed to hold it for 17 years. Its been a great little car. Have had no problems with it but Its time now for an upgrade as its getting on a bit and I dont feel as safe in it now. I would love to though be able to hang on to it for another 1-2 years more if possible lol so I can save some more money before buying again but its probably not a good idea. I have been considering buying again for the past two years but keep putting it off so as to hang onto my hyundai.

Maybe what I should do is hold off on buying again until I start to have real problems with my car. I dunno. What does everyone think?? I reckon I can get 1-2 more years out of it before it dies.
kim_5

by BNA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 pm

BNA

Postby kim_5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
kim_5 wrote:ooops sorry i forgot to reply.

A couple of tips: take the cvt auomatic over the manual transmission with XV because it is nicer. Also, don't think of XV as an SUV but more of a crossover vehicle not that far removed from the quite nice Impreza.

I dont mind. I'm not after a 4wd type suv. I just want a city car. Something that looks nice and can fit things in the back.
kim_5

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm

kim_5 wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Not in XV its not.

oh howcome? :(

Because the gearing for the manual transmission is way too high. Subaru's flat-four engine is thirsty in comparison to similarly-sized inline four cylinder engines so FHI went for very high gearing in a bid to reach fuel consumption and the important carbon dioxide numbers.
As a result, the manual transmission is underwhelming and the CVT automatic is actually quite nice once you get used to the odd little moaning noises it makes.

Hope that helps.
gorilla monsoon

Postby kim_5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 pm

ok, thanks!
kim_5

Postby MREJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 am

Summernight wrote:
MREJ wrote:We have a VW Caddy diesel. It can easily fit 5 bikes with wheels on. I built a platform which folds, which gives us lots of options. Recently, I organised a trip interstate and took 5 bikes with wheels off on top of the platform, and luggage underneath. All locked away and out of the weather. It's a very useful car if you only need 2 seats, or have a second vehicle, as we do, for other occasions.

Can you show pics of that set-up? It sounds good.

Here are some shots of the Caddy. The only things I'd like to improve about the platform, if I did it again, would be to reduce the weight and the bulk of the supports. I'm sure someone with better handyman skills could do that.

MREJ

Postby barefoot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:42 pm

MREJ wrote:We have a VW Caddy diesel. It can easily fit 5 bikes with wheels on
It's a very useful car if you only need 2 seats, or have a second vehicle, as we do, for other occasions.

...or if you get the passenger version (Caddy Life), with 5 extra seats that can (I believe) be removed relatively easily when not needed.

The middle row of ours was replaced as part of the wheelchair mods (they installed two narrower side seats, either side of the chair bay, which are not easily removable), so I can't be sure how the standard seats work. We got the third row, which has been in the shed for the ~3 years we've had the car... but which just clicks in place if ever we need to move 6 people (would be 7 if not for the middle row mods).

The Caddy is a VW Golf from the dashboard forward. The rear suspension is somewhat more agricultural than a Golf, but it's very car-like to drive... as far as vans go.

As to the OP... unless you're very well informed and/or lucky, buying and selling cars is like tearing up money... and buying brand new cars is like flushing money down the toilet without even bothering to tear it up first. Do it as often as you like... it's your money... but the less often you do, the better off you'll be in the long run.

tim
barefoot

Postby fbaltona » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 pm

kim_5 wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Also, you might like to check into the legalities of having a bike rack attached without a bike on it.

Nah I wont worry about checking the legalities. It'll only be for about 6 months then i'll be buying another car. Thanks for the heads up though. I didnt realise it might be illegal. I'll check it out

I got done for it few years back in Vic. If you don't have a bike on it take it off the car.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
fbaltona

Previous

Return to General discussion