Windproof Jacket Recommendations

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Windproof Jacket Recommendations

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Looking to gear up for the winter, wanting to purchase a wind protection jacket with possible rain protection.

Budget: $50.00
Would prefer the jacket in either Red or White

Also any mudguards that would fit Avanti Giro 2, would like a pair that could be easily removal and budget :)
kunalraiker

by BNA » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 pm

BNA

Re: Windproof Jacket Recommendations

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 pm

I was impressed by the GroundEffect Turbine. It is out of your budget though from quality and performance well worth the price.

Biggest problem with cheapy jackets is that they don't breath and you will sweat a lot inside.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sydguy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Biggest problem with a cheap jacket is you will buy a more expensive one later. Buy once - save $.

The budget alternative to this is to get a second hand one, I got a real team winter vest which I love, it is Comunitat Valencia, made by Nalini.

Team was binned for doping, but some other team kit goes for a song especially when they change sponsors and the guys sell the gear on ebay.

JM
Sydguy

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I've always rated the Showerspass Elite 2.0 as the best rain-jacket I've ever used - great breathability with the eVent fabric and very well designed, but above your price.

However for not much more their Storm jacket may suit you - note shipping will push it up to about $130.

Realistically, $50 will only get you a plastic 'swamp-bucket'. Wind-proof? Yes. Waterproof? hmm... sorta. Breathable and vented? Nope. :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:16 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I was impressed by the GroundEffect Turbine. It is out of your budget though from quality and performance well worth the price.

Biggest problem with cheapy jackets is that they don't breath and you will sweat a lot inside.

Well, you've got me thinking .May be I can shell out the extra as I do believe the apparel breathing would be a big issue.
kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Sydguy wrote:Biggest problem with a cheap jacket is you will buy a more expensive one later. Buy once - save $.

The budget alternative to this is to get a second hand one, I got a real team winter vest which I love, it is Comunitat Valencia, made by Nalini.

Team was binned for doping, but some other team kit goes for a song especially when they change sponsors and the guys sell the gear on ebay.

JM

Have you got a link, as on ebay there are only sleeveless jerseys.
kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 pm

il padrone wrote:I've always rated the Showerspass Elite 2.0 as the best rain-jacket I've ever used - great breathability with the eVent fabric and very well designed, but above your price.

However for not much more their Storm jacket may suit you - note shipping will push it up to about $130.

Realistically, $50 will only get you a plastic 'swamp-bucket'. Wind-proof? Yes. Waterproof? hmm... sorta. Breathable and vented? Nope. :roll:

Fine fine, you've convinced me to up my budget.
But I need to make sure I'am getting value for the extra dough I'am putting.
kunalraiker

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 pm

il Padrone, on the Showers Pass, is breathabiklity just through the vents. I have a thicker leisure type Portland jacket (city riding) and while it isn't a plastic bag, and does have vents, it isn't as breathable as I would have hoped and the water proofing is also less than I could have hoped - however is one of the best looking leisure/commuter jackets available.

Now on the computer so can add the links:

BNA Ground Effect Review

Ground Effect Turbine

At Aussie $159 it is well over your budget but... it is a quality brand and product that I find works hrough different seasons so also has great range.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm

I have the ShowersPass Elite 2 as well. It breathes well despite my heavy perspiration and the vents help in the warmer months too (wrist and armpit plus front zip top and bottom).

Recommended!

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:19 pm

AUbicycles wrote:il Padrone, on the Showers Pass, is breathabiklity just through the vents. I have a thicker leisure type Portland jacket (city riding) and while it isn't a plastic bag, and does have vents, it isn't as breathable as I would have hoped and the water proofing is also less than I could have hoped - however is one of the best looking leisure/commuter jackets available.

The Elite 2.0 (now superseded by the Elite 2.1 - only minor change it seems) has excellent vents - pit-vents, velcro-cinched sleeves (one thing GE seem to have difficulty understanding) and the marvelous shoulder vent - so it is a bit difficult to judge whether it is the vents or the fabric. I do go by the published details for the eVent fabric however and this has much higher breathability than Goretex and higher water head-pressure rating as well. Whatever the case it is the best jacket I have experienced myself. As an example, a few years ago I did a summer tour of NW Tassie. It was a bit on the wild and windy side, and we used the jackets as much for wind protection as for rain. Normally once the rain stops I would take a jacket off but with the Elite 2.0 I could happily ride with it on all day, even if the rain has gone, as long as the day is not too hot of course.

I have also found that I can happily wear it on my commute just for wind protection on a colder day, and stay comfy (I always tend to ride harder on my commutes than when touring, and 'sweatiness' is a big consideration as I ride in work clothing). Just to pick up and pack away it is noticeably lighter and less bulky than my old Mont Hammerhead. When this one wears out I will buy another, or whatever new model they have.

I like to see some data to make a judgement. Some data here in a table from Macpac

http://www.macpac.com.au/11900.html

Macpac launches eVent rainwear
Macpac is dedicated to developing products of the highest level of performance. This sometimes means we are swimming against the tide in a market filling up with new overseas brands. Trends, fashion and the cheapest price don’t keep you warm and dry in bad weather, or give you the confidence to explore the places you really want to go to. Every time we see a 20 year old Macpac pack in active use we are reminded that we are right to follow our own path - we see very few other packs age as gracefully as ours.

Over two years ago we commenced a review of our performance rainwear range. Our Gore-Tex XCR Prophet jacket and Resolution jackets were somewhat iconic. The design and features were well resolved and they sold well, but we wondered: “Are these the very best rainwear jackets we can make?”

We had good feedback from our customers and our test-team as to what features we needed to incorporate. The biggest single advancement however was changing to eVent fabric.

Using eVent fabric was once again a case of following performance rather than trend. A combination of our own test-results and data from independent US Army testing made us confident this was the only way forward for Macpac.

While eVent also use an ePTFE (expanded poly-tetra-fluro-ethylene) laminate like Gore-Tex, eVent developed an oleophobic (oil repelling) version to protect the ePTFE from contamination from body oils and fats. Gore-Tex uses a PU (poly-urethane) coating for this purpose which greatly reduces the ability for sweat to pass through the fabric. The result is that eVent ‘breathes’ up to 200% more than Gore-Tex.

US Army Natick Research tests - 32 page PDF, very detailed.

Another display of eVent versus "another very common laminated breathable" is shown here:

More explanation of the behaviour of the two waterproof-breathable fabrics, and another 'bubbler' test from Macpac:

Last edited by il padrone on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:30 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I was impressed by the GroundEffect Turbine. It is out of your budget though from quality and performance well worth the price.

I wore a Ground Effect Jetson - the sleeveless version of the Turbine last cold, windy, rainy, snowy spring in EnZed. It was very comfortable, windproof and fairly showerproof but not really a rain shell.

When the skies opened up then it was time to put the Showers Pass Elite 2 on. It's made from Event, which is currently the most breathable hard shell fabric.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:30 pm

RonK wrote:

I wore a Ground Effect Jetson - the sleeveless version of the Turbine last cold, windy, rainy, snowy spring in EnZed. It was very comfortable, windproof and fairly showerproof but not really a rain shell.

When the skies opened up then it was time to put the Showers Pass Elite 2 on. It's made from Event, which is currently the most breathable hard shell fabric.

Just wondering if you guys wear any weather pants during such heavy rain.
kunalraiker

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 am

RonK wrote:I wore a Ground Effect Jetson - the sleeveless version of the Turbine last cold, windy, rainy, snowy spring in EnZed. It was very comfortable, windproof and fairly showerproof but not really a rain shell

Agree - Maybe for a light drizzle though if it starts to get wet I wear a light rain jacket over the top.

kunalraiker wrote:Just wondering if you guys wear any weather pants during such heavy rain.

No, but I am road / mtb orientated. If I was die-hard commuting I would and for long distance touring (panniers and all) then they make sense.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 am

kunalraiker wrote:Just wondering if you guys wear any weather pants during such heavy rain.

I most certainly do on my commute - otherwise I would not be able to ride on a wet day (I ride to work in street clothes)

On cycle-tours it all depends on the temperature, intensity of rain and duration. Mostly in the warmer months when just wearing knicks I would not bother with rain-pants. However on cooler days, or in the winter months, especially when wearing cycling long tights, I would use rain-pants, and also if the rain was an all-day down-pour. I would also consider using waterproof overbooties. These really only work well with over-pants to let the water run off the top of the booties' opening. I have had wet rainy conditions for the whole day where the overpants were invaluable. We still wound up wet underneath but the pants still kept the cold air off us.

Here is a group of us rugged up, not for rain, but for the freezing air on the winter descent of Mt Donna Buang.

il padrone

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 am

il padrone wrote:

I most certainly do on my commute - otherwise I would not be able to ride on a wet day (I ride to work in street clothes)

On cycle-tours it all depends on the temperature, intensity of rain and duration. Mostly in the warmer months when just wearing knicks I would not bother with rain-pants. However on cooler days, or in the winter months, especially when wearing cycling long tights, I would use rain-pants, and also if the rain was an all-day down-pour. I would also consider using waterproof overbooties. These really only work well with over-pants to let the water run off the top of the booties' opening. I have had wet rainy conditions for the whole day where the overpants were invaluable. We still wound up wet underneath but the pants still kept the cold air off us.

Here is a group of us rugged up, not for rain, but for the freezing air on the winter descent of Mt Donna Buang.

Ok, what pants do you recommend, I've noticed that track pants do catch grease and grit from the chain.
kunalraiker

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 am

Yeah, those pants I was wearing, yellow Netti Entrente - are horribly dirty, on the lower legs, and the brown stripe all around the bum from my leather saddle + dirt.

Cycling knicks - black

Rain-pants - black.................. for a reason :oops:

Re. brands there are not a lot about in Aus. You can get hiking rain-pants - either cheap plastic ones, or much more expensive bushwalking ones. Advise not to get either: plastic you will sweat out in; the hiking breathable ones have baggy lower legs to sit over hiking boots. There is a much wider range of cycle-specific over-pants available from OS on-line stores especially in the UK and northern Europe.

I have two pairs of rain-pants from Showerspass - their Storm Pants which are proofed nylon, fine for shorter periods in rain (like my commute) but not breathable, and a pair of their Club Convertible Pants, which are waterproof-breathable fabric and have great leg zippers for easy donning. Straps keep the legs away from the chain.

Image Image
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
il padrone

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 am

No - I carry Rainlegs, but mostly I just don't bother.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 am

Oh yes, Rainlegs are good. They cover the section of your legs that gets most of the rain in showers - fine for an hour or two, but you will get wet in an all-day downpour.

They're like chaps for cyclists, they come in various colours/patterns, plus you could wear them to your favourite 'bump & grind' bar, if that's your thing :wink: :oops:

They roll up into a waist belt.

il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 pm

il padrone wrote:Oh yes, Rainlegs are good.

Second the motion, great commute option.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby durianrider » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:57 pm

We run gore tex cycling specific jackets with pit zips and hoods. Nothing beats em. Sure is great when its really hammering outside but you gotta to do your commute.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:55 pm

durianrider wrote:We run gore tex cycling have specific jackets with pit zips and hoods. Nothing beats em. Sure is great when its really hammering outside but you gotta to do your commute.

Any web links to the ones that have worked for you or friends.
kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:33 pm

kunalraiker wrote:Looking to gear up for the winter, wanting to purchase a wind protection jacket with possible rain protection.

Also any mudguards that would fit Avanti Giro 2, would like a pair that could be easily removal and budget :)

Any ideas on the mudguards.
kunalraiker

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:38 pm

il padrone, forgot to say thank you.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 am

Mulger bill wrote:
il padrone wrote:Oh yes, Rainlegs are good.

Second the motion, great commute option.

Have never seen these before. Will be checking them out to prepare for the winter/rain season 35km each way commute.

Thanks guys!
NhiTrac

Postby rdp_au » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 am

kunalraiker wrote:
kunalraiker wrote:Looking to gear up for the winter, wanting to purchase a wind protection jacket with possible rain protection.

Any ideas on the mudguards.

For mudguards: Crud Roadracer 2

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer

They fit just about any road bike, including carbon framed ones, are light, easy to fit and don't rattle.

For a jacket, I live in Sydney where it doesn't get really cold and find that a Ground Effect 'Baked Alaska' top works well pretty much all the way through winter. It is not a full wet weather jacket, but has kept me warm and relatively dry at temps down to the low single digits - and it comes in red :)

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-ALA-WIN.htm
rdp_au

Next

Return to General discussion