Page 1 of 1

Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 am
by dareyaire
Ive been riding pretty heavily for the past week and a half and my butt got quite sore after my first ride so im thinking of investing in a new seat.. Prolly gonna buy one for $70 at local bike shop, ive picked one out and i like it, seems to be alot more comfy then the one i have atm. Just wondering... What type of seats you guys ride?

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 am
by mitzikatzi
Which saddle is for you?

Thanks search function :shock:

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm
by Mulger bill
Buy Brooks, break in Brooks.
Live happily ever after :wink:

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 pm
by sturmey archer
Without wishing to be insensitive, maybe your nether regions need to harden up a bit rather than rushing out and buying a new saddle. Here's Saint Sheldons take: http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Of course if you want to take Mulga Bills advice, I'll warn you that Brooks saddles are inconsistently made, maintainance requiring, excessivly faddish, vintage throwbacks. And every bike I ride regularly has one :lol:

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 pm
by mitzikatzi
A bit of Bees wax and good as new,

WTS Inner City Sydney. Brooks Swift saddle

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 pm
by BianchiCam
Same happened to me when I bought the roadie.
Jaysus my butt was sore in places I didn't know I had, then slowly over time it gets better.
Statrted biting around the 50-60km mark. I mean really biting those bum bones!
Now I can manage around 100km before I consider a stop or getting off the saddle.
It does take a fair amount of time.

When ever I get back on my MB the seat is like riding on air except it feels like you are bouncing around on it. Actually prefer the harder seat. (San Marco) I believe is the brand.

Cam

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:26 pm
by il padrone
Sit forward, make sure your saddle is set back far enough. Get used to letting your legs do more work to help support your butt.

Apart from that, yes, give it some more time. If you have been riding regularly for say, 1-2 months and still have this problem, best Rx is certainly the Brooks saddle. But be warned carbon roadie riders can't stand the look ;)

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 pm
by Nobody
sturmey archer wrote:Of course if you want to take Mulga Bills advice, I'll warn you that Brooks saddles are inconsistently made, maintainance requiring, excessivly faddish, vintage throwbacks. And every bike I ride regularly has one :lol:
How dare you say such accurate things about Brooks saddles! :wink:

My preference too. Still a difficult trial_and_error job to match the right saddle with the rider and bike type. For me the road bike has a Pro and the MTB and flat bar share a B17 Imperial.

http://www.rivbike.com/Articles.asp?ID=318

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm
by Nobody
il padrone wrote:...1-2 months and still have this problem, best Rx is certainly the Brooks saddle. But be warned carbon roadie riders can't stand the look ;)
Poor things, worried about looks/image and weight all the time. I almost feel sorry for them. :roll:

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 pm
by Mulger bill
Nobody wrote:
il padrone wrote:...1-2 months and still have this problem, best Rx is certainly the Brooks saddle. But be warned carbon roadie riders can't stand the look ;)
Poor things, worried about looks/image and weight all the time. I almost feel sorry for them. :roll:


Bah. My cf roadie has a Swallow taking pride of place.

Yes, it's the Ti model, I'm a bit of a weight weenie :P

Re: Seats

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 pm
by RonK
Seats?

Well, I quite like this one... 8)
Image