Cracked brand new bike!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Cracked brand new bike!

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Kudos, again to Giant. They recently looked after another one of their customers who was reporting about a problem here on the forums and I like to think that the forum doesn't actually leverage the ability to get a resolution when its the right thing to do.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm

BNA

Postby Mylotian » Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Similar situation large split just where seat tube curves away in my Giant Defy 3 composite, only manual I got from the dealer was a blue generic manual nothing mentioned about seat post cutting etc, nor was the bike fitted to my height.

Only had the bike a short while before I had to replace the seat and adjust the height as I was getting testicular numbness from the existing saddle, all of which I reported to the shop I purchased it from and at no time was it mentioned not to adjust the seat height or that the seat post may need cutting as it was I only moved it up or down 10mm or so each way to get a comfortable position following the guide markings on the seat post, I did notice that it was very stiff to lower or raise.

I'm a mature rider with enough common sense to know not to force anything, seat post hex screws where properly adjusted with a torque wrench, but the damage is no where near that part of the seat post.

I had issues with the rear wheel spoke nibbles coming away and spokes swinging free which the shop fixed. Also had a rear tire blow out on me after only 4 months.

Hopefully Giant will come to the party
Mylotian

Postby macca33 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Doesn't sound too flash mate -hopefully they wil remedy your issues and get you back on the road.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 - Ultegra6700 | CAAD10 Team - DA7800

macca33

Postby Nobody » Tue May 21, 2013 6:12 pm

As I probably said previously. A frame design that doesn't allow for seatpost slip without damage is a design failure IMO. I suspect they'll get a lot of returns on that design and eventually change it.
Nobody

Re: Bike Choice

Postby Mylotian » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm

sorry posted wrong spot
Last edited by Mylotian on Thu May 23, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mylotian

Postby InTheWoods » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Giant Defy Advanced 1 for sub $2500 with full ultegra. Nice ride, relaxed geometry. Just don't break the seat post :)

You might want to start a new thread for this though.
InTheWoods

Postby tsatra93 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Azzuri Forza RL had some great reviews, especially for the price. Comes with full SRAM red, so looks like great value
tsatra93

Postby GH » Thu May 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Saw an ad today for the Merida 905E Di2 Ultegra for under 3k. I have no first hand information on how the Merida frames are but someone I ride with does 150 odd a week on his 905E and loves it. 100 of which is his regular weekend ride.
GH

Postby Mylotian » Mon May 27, 2013 11:36 am

According to the bike shop Giant have come to the party with a new frame in good faith.

Although he did say it wasn't a warranty issue, more of a case of the seat post slipping and hitting against the cut away on the seat tube.

I was not prepared to get into a disagreement with the bike shop owner over this as he has been very helpful but I did mention that several people have had a similar problem with the bike as mentioned here and else where.

Thanks Giant for coming to the party.
Mylotian

Previous

Return to General discussion