Cracked brand new bike!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cracked brand new bike!

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Kudos, again to Giant. They recently looked after another one of their customers who was reporting about a problem here on the forums and I like to think that the forum doesn't actually leverage the ability to get a resolution when its the right thing to do.

Mylotian

Postby Mylotian » Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Similar situation large split just where seat tube curves away in my Giant Defy 3 composite, only manual I got from the dealer was a blue generic manual nothing mentioned about seat post cutting etc, nor was the bike fitted to my height.

Only had the bike a short while before I had to replace the seat and adjust the height as I was getting testicular numbness from the existing saddle, all of which I reported to the shop I purchased it from and at no time was it mentioned not to adjust the seat height or that the seat post may need cutting as it was I only moved it up or down 10mm or so each way to get a comfortable position following the guide markings on the seat post, I did notice that it was very stiff to lower or raise.

I'm a mature rider with enough common sense to know not to force anything, seat post hex screws where properly adjusted with a torque wrench, but the damage is no where near that part of the seat post.

I had issues with the rear wheel spoke nibbles coming away and spokes swinging free which the shop fixed. Also had a rear tire blow out on me after only 4 months.

Hopefully Giant will come to the party

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Doesn't sound too flash mate -hopefully they wil remedy your issues and get you back on the road.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue May 21, 2013 6:12 pm

As I probably said previously. A frame design that doesn't allow for seatpost slip without damage is a design failure IMO. I suspect they'll get a lot of returns on that design and eventually change it.

Mylotian

Re: Bike Choice

Postby Mylotian » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm

sorry posted wrong spot
Last edited by Mylotian on Thu May 23, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Giant Defy Advanced 1 for sub $2500 with full ultegra. Nice ride, relaxed geometry. Just don't break the seat post :)

You might want to start a new thread for this though.

tsatra93

Postby tsatra93 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Azzuri Forza RL had some great reviews, especially for the price. Comes with full SRAM red, so looks like great value

GH

Postby GH » Thu May 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Saw an ad today for the Merida 905E Di2 Ultegra for under 3k. I have no first hand information on how the Merida frames are but someone I ride with does 150 odd a week on his 905E and loves it. 100 of which is his regular weekend ride.

Mylotian

Postby Mylotian » Mon May 27, 2013 11:36 am

According to the bike shop Giant have come to the party with a new frame in good faith.

Although he did say it wasn't a warranty issue, more of a case of the seat post slipping and hitting against the cut away on the seat tube.

I was not prepared to get into a disagreement with the bike shop owner over this as he has been very helpful but I did mention that several people have had a similar problem with the bike as mentioned here and else where.

Thanks Giant for coming to the party.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 pm

I'm not particularly impressed with my LBS after the purchase of my Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1... handed it over with not a word - sans pedals and manuals, despite the fact that they knew I hadn't owned a bike for 20+ years, and I was clearly going to ride it home and I had my helmet in my hands! First I had to ask them to sell me some pedals, then I had to ask for the manuals, then I had to ask for a quick primer on riding the thing! Clearly totally disinterested in any after sales customer support, unless it was dragged out of them.

Now to the bike itself. Bought a Giant Toolshed HD1 multi-tool thinking it would be sufficient to adjust the seat fixing bolt (to adjust the seat angle). Well I'll be buggered if I can even work out what sort of tool I need to do that. Nothing in any of the manuals that I eventually obtained. Guess it's back to the LBS to ask about that, and to purchase another tool. :(

At least they did mention that I wasn't to adjust the binder bolt without a torque wrench. They mentioned the torque setting but I've forgotten now. They wanted to sell me a torque wrench with 5,6 & 7Nm settings (from memory) so I seem to recall it's around 6-7Nm. But looking the generic Giant manual they mention 7.8-11.7Nm. And I read here 3-4Nm being bandied about. So fat lot of good the torque wrench they wanted me to buy would do. Luckily I deferred my decision until I'd done a bit more research.

Anyway, 2 trips to the bike shop and 1 purchase later and I still can't adjust the seat angle or height. What a PITA.

Sadly I couldn't recommend my LBS to anyone. My free 3 month service will be the last visit. Tried to support them, but they're hopeless. They stock next-to-nothing anyway. I've already found a better one, slightly farther away but streets ahead in terms of stock and customer service.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 am

tcdev wrote: Now to the bike itself. Bought a Giant Toolshed HD1 multi-tool thinking it would be sufficient to adjust the seat fixing bolt (to adjust the seat angle). Well I'll be buggered if I can even work out what sort of tool I need to do that. Nothing in any of the manuals that I eventually obtained. Guess it's back to the LBS to ask about that, and to purchase another tool. :(
The proper solution is sell the seatpost to some other poor sod and get a Niner RDO or Syntace P9 (?) which are both complaint composite two bolt seatposts or there's the USE carbon shokpost. There's some nice titanium ones too...all two bolt.

If you do get a new seatpost though...don't get a Thomson (unless it is one of their droppers). They are wonderful things but have all the compliance of steel RHS and your back and bum may not appreciate it on the hardtail.

The Giant 1 bolt set-up on their seat posts is a proper balls up of a thing and a right royal PoS. You actually need two different sized hex keys to get the single bolt undone...and the Giant torque setting suggestion is about right...for all the good it will do you in the long run.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks for the tips silentbutdeadly, duly noted!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

jerrah

Postby jerrah » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:45 pm

_mike_ wrote:Good news was the frame was replaced under warranty. He paid the dealer $$$ to swap all the gear over so was down $150ish.
I know this was an old thread but... Do LBS really charge for a warranty frame replacement? I would have assumed that Giant would reimburse the LBS for the cost of swapping the gear?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Manufacturers/distributors do not cover labour costs incurred. It's the discretion of the shop whether or not to charge the customer for workshop time on such jobs. While not a rigid rule, generally shops will wear the cost if the bike was purchased from them, but charge a labour fee for bikes purchased elsewhere; any dealer for a given brand can process a warranty, it doesn't have to go through the place of purchase.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:51 am

I would disagree with Ducks reply - the contract you have is with the retailer and if he sold you a bike he must repair or replace the bike. He does that by enlisting the aid of the manufacturer. Check the Australian Consumer Law as it is too long to quote here, but if the engine in your car failed would you accept paying the labour cost of having it replaced?

Quote "The remedies you can seek from the retailer who sold you the product include a repair, replacement, or refund and in some cases compensation for damages and loss.
The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer."