Titanium Flame

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Ok - I'm biased towards Firefly as I bought one

I looked long and hard at Baum as I'm in Melbourne but two things put me off a bit.
1. the price premium (approx +2K) for about 4K I got a custom sized butted ti frame with an enve fork (stickers removed) and a fitted chris king headset and matching king ti cages - delivered - (Firefly have jacked the prices up a bit though since I got mine)
2. the wait (approx +5 months)

And, I like the finish on the Firefly more with the brushed and polished look - no stickers

I never weighed it bare but all up with pedals it weighs about 7.6kg (don't have a set of scales suitable for weighing a bike, I got that by standing on scales with and without the bike) it isn't weight weenie build either.

Been very happy with it so far very nice ride way better than the trek madone 5.2 (circa 2005) which it replaced.

I thought Baum might've been having a problem with the AUD being so high atm which makes the overseas options (for Aussie's) way cheaper than a few years ago but the queue doesn't seem to be getting any shorter and you see plenty of them on the road so I guess he must be OK.
jimh
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 pm

by BNA » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:59 am

BNA
 

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:59 am

Comedian wrote:Yeah... I'm not so sure. Having recently moved to a lighter bike.. despite being 1kg lighter it rode a LOT better.
So many factors here it would hard to put it down to weight alone. Frame stiffness, geometry, fit, spoke tension, tyres...
Nobody
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby London Boy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Comedian wrote:I think that if someone can build a very light TI frame, that is stiff and yet rides well... isn't that something to celebrate? Even more so if they are a local. I'd hate to see tall poppy syndrome come into play here...

I have to say that I ride a Van Nicholas, so Dutch out of China, kind of thing. Definitely not local.

But the point I was making was not that making a light frame is a bad thing, particularly if it's a local maker. But there is always a trade-off between weight and strength.

What kind of life do you get out of a Baum? And how is it in a crash? I've no idea myself, but I'd be interested to know how they compare with the million other makes out there.
User avatar
London Boy
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby Comedian » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 am

London Boy wrote:
Comedian wrote:I think that if someone can build a very light TI frame, that is stiff and yet rides well... isn't that something to celebrate? Even more so if they are a local. I'd hate to see tall poppy syndrome come into play here...

I have to say that I ride a Van Nicholas, so Dutch out of China, kind of thing. Definitely not local.

But the point I was making was not that making a light frame is a bad thing, particularly if it's a local maker. But there is always a trade-off between weight and strength.

What kind of life do you get out of a Baum? And how is it in a crash? I've no idea myself, but I'd be interested to know how they compare with the million other makes out there.

Well if you want a heavier frame they will make you one. They will make whatever you want.

How long does one last? They did say they work on them lasting several years at 25k a year, which some of their customers do on them. On TDU I met a gent who had done 25k on his for a couple of years. It was getting that lovely patina happening too.... Lovely. :mrgreen:

How do they fare in a crash?? Who knows??? Depends on the crash I guess. Maybe the lighter ones will be more likely to be damaged... But then if you build a frame to survive a crash it's probably not going to be nice to ride and it could still get totaled anyway.
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Comedian wrote:
How do they fare in a crash?? Who knows??? Depends on the crash I guess. Maybe the lighter ones will be more likely to be damaged... But then if you build a frame to survive a crash it's probably not going to be nice to ride and it could still get totaled anyway.


Here are some pics that a Lynskey Owner posted after a head-on collision with a car. She was ok, but check out the bike!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Not rideable, but it didn't snap in half!
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:15 pm

I find it interesting to see that the carbon fibre fork and the front wheel, which would have taken a lot of the initial pressure, are still looking OK while the frame has completely collapsed.
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2485
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby sumgy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:21 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I find it interesting to see that the carbon fibre fork and the front wheel, which would have taken a lot of the initial pressure, are still looking OK while the frame has completely collapsed.


I think the key part of this is "still looking OK".
At least with the ti frame being all bent you are unlikely to try and ride it again.
Some people would blindly ride a CF frame as it is "still looking OK".
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

queequeg wrote:Here are some pics that a Lynskey Owner posted after a head-on collision with a car. She was ok, but check out the bike!...Not rideable, but it didn't snap in half!
Excellent result. Exactly what you want. Not like some high end steels that are too thin and brittle IMO.
Image

There would be very few structural parts I'd reuse on that Ti bike.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:50 am

I think that was what I was saying.. you can't build a bike to crash. It's like you can't build an aeroplane to crash. If you did it would be too heavy to ever get off the ground. :shock:
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:28 pm

I managed to bend my Kona a lot further than that... :shock: :shock: :shock:

You can't build a bike to crash. You can build them to resist some common bumps (you wouldn't want a bike that shattered if it fell on its side) but a proper crash? No thanks. Overengineering.
Xplora
 
Posts: 4690
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby Hergest » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I once got t-boned on a Peugeot made out of Reynolds 531 around 1990, it bent like a banana in a perfect curve with not a crimp to be seen. The only defects were the paint cracked and my broken head.
Hergest
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby __PG__ » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 am

You mean the head tube bent like a banana? I've seen a crashed Baum with a similar outcome. The frame looked fine at a quick glance, it was only when you looked at the head tube closely could you see the curvature.

I think how a frame deforms at impact depends on a lot on how the loads are directed, and whether or not the rider is heavily braking or not at the time.
__PG__
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Previous

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cage, flashpixx, jaythefordman, MSNbot Media



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist